Career Changer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prestons_babe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I am getting ready to finish my B.S. in accounting in December of this year. I have realized that my passion lies in psychiatry (psychology is second choice) and that I would like to pursue a pre-med program in the summer of 2019. I would specifically like to pursue a program in Pennsylvania (Philadelphia area), as my husband and I (no kids) would like to move to the east coast (currently in the midwest). So basically, I'm asking for some advice on applying/getting into a pre-med program, moving across the country to do school, and if you have found that you are able to work part time or full time while doing a pre-med program. Any advice or experiences you guys could share would be very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

1. You can't be a career changer if you've never had a career ;)
2. You don't need to do an official program. One option would be extending your graduation date and taking a 5th year to take your required courses.
3. Enroll as a student at large at any 4-year university near your new location.

I was able to comfortably work part-time while doing my post-bacc.

1. You can't be a career changer if you've never had a career ;)
2. You don't need to do an official program. One option would be extending your graduation date and taking a 5th year to take your required courses.
3. Enroll as a student at large at any 4-year university near your new location.

I was able to comfortably work part-time while doing my post-bacc.

I actually do have a career as an accountant, I just didn't get my degree for it until now. I would prefer to do a post-bac program, just because you have a better chance of feeding into a med school, and most of the ones I'm looking into include MCAT preparation. I appreciate your input regarding working part time though! Thank you!

I actually do have a career as an accountant, I just didn't get my degree for it until now. I would prefer to do a post-bac program, just because you have a better chance of feeding into a med school, and most of the ones I'm looking into include MCAT preparation. I appreciate your input regarding working part time though! Thank you!

If you're only considering full-time post-bacc programs, then working will not be feasible.