Career focus and mentioning it in PS/at interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JustSomePreMed

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm from a rural area that is somewhat underserved (particularly when it comes to available Dermatologists), and would love to return to that area or serve as a Dermatologist in a comparable environment. I get the feeling that this may be frowned upon, as everyone seems to emphasize the importance of appearing to be academics-driven. An IM resident friend of mine was telling me about how mentioning anything other than "Academics" as your goal when interviewing for GI fellowships is a recipe for instant rejection, despite the fact that 90% will end up outside of academics in private practice.

What's the general consensus here for derm?
 
The advice you got was pretty spot on. I never really understood this myself, but it's true. When I was in academia, and I was interviewing/evaluating prospective residents, I placed almost no value on a candidate's career plans. But I can tell you that, for many of my colleagues, a stated interest in an academic career was a big deal.

To answer your question, I don't think you should lie about what you want to do, but at the same time, I wouldn't draw attention to or emphasize your plans.

I'm pretty sure you don't realize this, but what you're describing is basically the recipe for the easiest way to make a ton of money in dermatology (i.e., go into private practice in a rural/underserved area and clean up). Of course, this may not be what motivates you, but at least a few of the faculty members who interview you may wrongly attribute that motive to you.
 
The advice you got was pretty spot on. I never really understood this myself, but it's true. When I was in academia, and I was interviewing/evaluating prospective residents, I placed almost no value on a candidate's career plans. But I can tell you that, for many of my colleagues, a stated interest in an academic career was a big deal.

To answer your question, I don't think you should lie about what you want to do, but at the same time, I wouldn't draw attention to or emphasize your plans.

I'm pretty sure you don't realize this, but what you're describing is basically the recipe for the easiest way to make a ton of money in dermatology (i.e., go into private practice in a rural/underserved area and clean up). Of course, this may not be what motivates you, but at least a few of the faculty members who interview you may wrongly attribute that motive to you.


Yikes, I really didn't realize all of this. I appreciate the heads up. I guess my dilemma is that a lot of people suggest mentioning your plans/future goals in your personal statement, which I'm in the process of working on right now. I don't have a super extensive research background (just some research done between M1/M2 with two pubs, and a case report or two hopefully on their way soon), so I feel like it'd be very difficult for me to say I was particularly interested in academics when I'm being compared against people with PhDs or years/decades of research under their belt. I obviously don't want to lie about my plans for practicing (and didn't realize there was such a stark difference in compensation), but I feel like I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.