Career in Medicine - Can I now?

Started by mjs853
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

M

mjs853

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is my first time posting a question in this Forum. I started college in 1997 as a Biology major with intentions of applying to Med School. However, due to certain circumstances, I wasn't able to continue. I then graduated in 1999 with Bachelor's of Business in Computer Information Systems with an Overall GPA of 3.77. I chose to major in CIS because I needed to support myself financially at the time, however always regretted not being able to pursue Medicine. Now, I am married, residing in Illinois, and also have become a US citizen, but am 28 years old. If I start over (i.e. taking pre-requisites, taking MCAT, etc), will I be too old by the time I graduate? I am thinking about taking the April 2007 MCAT. How long is residency for let's say, Internist or General Practitioner? Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 
You are definitely not too old. There are LOTS of people on this board who started med school in their thirties and even forties. Personally, I just started a post-bac program for career changers, and I'm married and will be 29 next month. I'm not the oldest person in my class, either. Speaking thereof, you might be interested in a structured post-bac program, because they can get you in and out the quickest. Do some research on this board to find out about them; with your gpa, you should be a strong candidate at some of the top programs, such as Goucher, Bryn Mawr, Johns Hopkins, etc.

The shortest residencies (family practice, general internal medicine, and pediatrics) are three years. Most specialties are at least four years, with some of the surgical specialties requiring as much as eight. Again, spend some time on these forums and you'll find a lot of info out there.

Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to go for it is entirely yours, but if you decide yes and are prepared to work very hard, there's no reason why you can't suceed.
 
Too old? Phooey!

You're a young pup!

There are folks on SDN pushing 50.

Do a search and you will get tons of good info.

Good Fortune future MD/DO! :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You made my day! I am glad to know that there are others in the same age bracket as myself. I am thinking of targeting Loyola Univ. or UIC (since I am married, I cannot relocate due to spouse's job). I am going to start classes in the Fall sememster this year and will continue until I have all the requirements completed. I guess I will have to apply next year to take the MCAT in April of the following year. Pemulis, being married and pursuing medicine, how are you able to keep up with both things simultaneously?

Found following info @ UIC website:

Premedicine Curriculum
For information on Medical School programs and Medical School admissions, visit the Association of American Medical Colleges homepage and their Student and Applicant Information webpage. Students in the Premedicine curriculum ordinarily complete all requirements for the bachelor's degree at UIC, including a major field, prior to admission to the professional school. If accepted for admission, students complete the advanced degree at the professional school. Students who want to apply for admission to the College of Medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, with a major in any field of specialization. A premedical program should include the following minimum science preparation.

Requirements:

BIOS 100, 101 (10 hrs)
Chem 112, 114; or 116, 118 (10-12 hrs)
Chem 232, 233, 234 (9 hrs)
Math 121 (5 hrs)
Phys 105, 106, 107,108 or Physics 141,142 (8-10 hrs)
The UIC College of Medicine also requires that candidates complete the following, in addition to the courses listed above:

Three semesters of social science courses with an emphasis in the behavioral sciences. A minimum of two semesters must be a sequence within the same department, and one additional semester within the social sciences.
At least one of the following courses: advanced level biology, biochemistry, physiology, mammalian histology, or comparative vertebrate anatomy or molecular genetics.
In addition to the course work listed above, applicants to the College of Medicine must take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and apply through the centralized application service (AMCAS) sponsored by the American Association of Medical Colleges. The MCAT should be taken after completion of the minimum premedical course requirements. Students may obtain information regarding the MCAT and the AMCAS by scheduling an appointment with an LAS preprofessional adviser, 309 University Hall. The college office also provides a service for collecting letters of recommendation that are required in support of the application. The premedical program described above includes the minimum courses recommended for application to the UIC College of Medicine. Specific admission requirements of medical schools are listed in Medical School Admission Requirements, which is published by the Association of American Medical Colleges, One Dupont Circle, NW, Washington, DC, 20036. Most medical schools, including the University of Illinois, will only accept students with bachelor's degrees. However, students admitted to a college of medicine prior to completion of the bachelor's degree may be eligible to receive the baccalaureate upon satisfactory completion of the first year in a U.S. Accredited medical school. The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences accepts a total of 32 semester hours of credit from an accredited college of medicine to enable a student to complete the requirements for a bachelor's degree, provided that (1) the student is in good standing in the college of medicine; (2) work taken in the college of medicine does not duplicate previous work; (3) the courses are in fields such as biochemistry, physiology, histology, or anatomy as approved by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences; (4) the student satisfies the residence requirement by completing at UIC at least the last 60 semester hours prior to entry into a college of medicine; and (5) the student meets all other requirements for graduation from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences , including a major field of specialization and a 3.00 grade point average (A=5.00) in all course work taken both at UIC and other institutions.
 
mjs853 said:
You made my day! I am glad to know that there are others in the same age bracket as myself. I am thinking of targeting Loyola Univ. or UIC (since I am married, I cannot relocate due to spouse's job). I am going to start classes in the Fall sememster this year and will continue until I have all the requirements completed. I guess I will have to apply next year to take the MCAT in April of the following year. Pemulis, being married and pursuing medicine, how are you able to keep up with both things simultaneously?

Found following info @ UIC website:

Premedicine Curriculum
For information on Medical School programs and Medical School admissions, visit the Association of American Medical Colleges homepage and their Student and Applicant Information webpage. Students in the Premedicine curriculum ordinarily complete all requirements for the bachelor's degree at UIC, including a major field, prior to admission to the professional school. If accepted for admission, students complete the advanced degree at the professional school. Students who want to apply for admission to the College of Medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, with a major in any field of specialization. A premedical program should include the following minimum science preparation.

Requirements:

BIOS 100, 101 (10 hrs)
Chem 112, 114; or 116, 118 (10-12 hrs)
Chem 232, 233, 234 (9 hrs)
Math 121 (5 hrs)
Phys 105, 106, 107,108 or Physics 141,142 (8-10 hrs)
The UIC College of Medicine also requires that candidates complete the following, in addition to the courses listed above:

Three semesters of social science courses with an emphasis in the behavioral sciences. A minimum of two semesters must be a sequence within the same department, and one additional semester within the social sciences.
At least one of the following courses: advanced level biology, biochemistry, physiology, mammalian histology, or comparative vertebrate anatomy or molecular genetics.
In addition to the course work listed above, applicants to the College of Medicine must take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and apply through the centralized application service (AMCAS) sponsored by the American Association of Medical Colleges. The MCAT should be taken after completion of the minimum premedical course requirements. Students may obtain information regarding the MCAT and the AMCAS by scheduling an appointment with an LAS preprofessional adviser, 309 University Hall. The college office also provides a service for collecting letters of recommendation that are required in support of the application. The premedical program described above includes the minimum courses recommended for application to the UIC College of Medicine. Specific admission requirements of medical schools are listed in Medical School Admission Requirements, which is published by the Association of American Medical Colleges, One Dupont Circle, NW, Washington, DC, 20036. Most medical schools, including the University of Illinois, will only accept students with bachelor's degrees. However, students admitted to a college of medicine prior to completion of the bachelor's degree may be eligible to receive the baccalaureate upon satisfactory completion of the first year in a U.S. Accredited medical school. The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences accepts a total of 32 semester hours of credit from an accredited college of medicine to enable a student to complete the requirements for a bachelor's degree, provided that (1) the student is in good standing in the college of medicine; (2) work taken in the college of medicine does not duplicate previous work; (3) the courses are in fields such as biochemistry, physiology, histology, or anatomy as approved by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences; (4) the student satisfies the residence requirement by completing at UIC at least the last 60 semester hours prior to entry into a college of medicine; and (5) the student meets all other requirements for graduation from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences , including a major field of specialization and a 3.00 grade point average (A=5.00) in all course work taken both at UIC and other institutions.


FYI: I spoke with someone in the UIC medical school admissions office today, and she said that their social science/behavioral science prereq is in transition, and may be much more flexible (to be determined this September). Also, she said that you could satisfy that requirement in the glide year.

Regarding the math requirement, check this link out, which lists the math requirements for all med schools, by state:

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~rpms/
 
mjs853 said:
... 28 years old. If I start over (i.e. taking pre-requisites, taking MCAT, etc), will I be too old by the time I graduate? I am thinking about taking the April 2007 MCAT...
Heh. I'm 35 now, and I'm 3 weeks into my postbac. In fact, I should be reading Cell Bio and preparing for a Chem quiz right this minute! My MCAT will be August 2006. "Too old" is something only you can call yourself.
 
Febrifuge said:
Heh. I'm 35 now, and I'm 3 weeks into my postbac. In fact, I should be reading Cell Bio and preparing for a Chem quiz right this minute! My MCAT will be August 2006. "Too old" is something only you can call yourself.
Hey Febrifuge,

How's it going? Studying hard?

Has it started snowing yet? :meanie:
 
Oh, and msj853, I'm 30, and with two years for my prereqs and the glide year, I won't be starting med school until 2009, when I'm 33. With 4 years in med school, I'll be an M.D. at age 37. But of course, there's also another 3-4 years as a resident! So, I figure I'll get to *start* paying off my med school debt at age 40. Wow. I think a large part of the population would think I'm nuts to be leaving a six figure paycheck to start this process, and if money were everything, they'd be right!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
 
Thanks phoenix1 for providing UIC info. I also called Loyola and got an appt with one of their advisors for their pre-health program which gaurantees an interview with the univ. The lady on the phone said they 'encourage you to take less than 12 hours due to tuition costs, which are $500 per credit hour for 1-11 hours per semester - if one takes more than 11 hours tuition goes up to $12,000 per semester'. In other words, don't take more than two classes per semester unless you are willing to pay twice as much! I was a little discouraged by this since money is going to be an issue and am now looking into their financial aid info. Next step will be to call UIC.
 
mjs853: I'm thinking of avoiding that nasty tuition increase by following one of the following schedules:

Plan A

Fall '05-Spring '06
Physics (4 credits/semester)

Summer '06
Chem (4 credits)

Fall '06
Bio (4 credits)
Org. Chem (4 credits)
One elective lecture (Genetics/Cell Biology/Biochem) (3 credits)

Spring '07
Bio (4 credits)
Org. Chem (4 credits)
Lab to match Fall elective (Genetics/Cell Biology/Biochem) (2 credits)

OR, if I decide to try to cram more in:

Plan B

Fall '05-Spring '06
Physics (4 credits/semester)

Summer '06
Chem (4 credits)
Bio (4 credits)

Fall '06
Org. Chem (4 credits)
One elective lecture & lab (Genetics/Cell Biology/Biochem) (5 credits)

Spring '07
Org. Chem (4 credits)
One elective lecture & lab (Genetics/Cell Biology/Biochem) (5 credits)

Or, for Plan B, I could lighten up the last semester while I'll be studying for the MCAT, like this:

Fall '06
Org. Chem (4 credits)
Elective 1 (3 credits)
Elective 2 (3 Credits)

Spring '07
Org. Chem (4 credits)
Lab for Elective 1 (2 credits)
Lab for Elective 2 (2 credits)

Alternatively, you could pick up a class or two at DePaul or elsewhere (which I may consider as well). I have a friend who I just talked to that's in Loyola's premed postbac program right now, and she said that you could take a class or two outside of Loyola. I think she did because she found it really hard to fit Loyola's classes into her schedule while working. They simply don't have many evening classes. I looked at DePaul's undergrad science courses, and it looks like there are a lot offered at 6pm. They have the same system (around $450/hour; $20,000 if you take 12 credits or more a semester).

Or, if you can wait to start next year, you could apply to Northwestern's premed postbac program, which has tons of evening classes. However, I don't know that they have any guarantee of an interview with Northwestern med school if you are in their proram. To be honest, I didn't realize that Loyola did either! Thanks for the info.
 
I like plan B ,#2 which gives you more time to study for MCAT. I think I will do something similar. Thanks for all the info and good luck to you! I will keep in touch via this forum.