Career in Oral Medicine/Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poorni_nagesh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,
I have done my undergraduate studies in Dentistry from India and currently doing my PhD in Medical Science at Australian National University after finising my MSc in Bioinformatics from University of East Anglia, UK. I would be finishing my PhD in about an years time and hence tought of planning my career. I would like to persue a career in oral medicine in Australia and my present topic of research is understanding gene regulation in health and disease. Can you one give me some idea as whether it is possible to get any position in any dental schools in Australia. I am not sure if I am required to do the ADC (Australian Dental Council) exams which are conducted for overseas dentists. Since my area of interest is in oral medicine and that ADC exams cover all areas of dentistry, I am not sure whether it would be suitable/practicle for me to take up the ADC exams. Any how if thats the only way to do, I need to start to prepare for these exams. I am sure that University of Melbourne Dental school is doing considerable amount of research in the area of cell and molecular bilogy related to oral tissues.
Any information or help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot for your attention.
Nagesh

Members don't see this ad.

poorni_nagesh said:
Dear all,
I have done my undergraduate studies in Dentistry from India and currently doing my PhD in Medical Science at Australian National University after finising my MSc in Bioinformatics from University of East Anglia, UK. I would be finishing my PhD in about an years time and hence tought of planning my career. I would like to persue a career in oral medicine in Australia and my present topic of research is understanding gene regulation in health and disease. Can you one give me some idea as whether it is possible to get any position in any dental schools in Australia. I am not sure if I am required to do the ADC (Australian Dental Council) exams which are conducted for overseas dentists. Since my area of interest is in oral medicine and that ADC exams cover all areas of dentistry, I am not sure whether it would be suitable/practicle for me to take up the ADC exams. Any how if thats the only way to do, I need to start to prepare for these exams. I am sure that University of Melbourne Dental school is doing considerable amount of research in the area of cell and molecular bilogy related to oral tissues.
Any information or help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot for your attention.
Nagesh

You would still need a license to practice dentistry in Australia which would require sitting the ADC exams as well as possibly a bridging course for foreign dentists. But if you are were accepted to an Oral Med/Path training program after passing the ADC exams I think they won't require you to do the bridging course. But just contact the ADC for the most accurate and up to date answers. Good Luck!

Hi Dr Milliservert,
Thanks a lot for your reply. Well I did write to ADC but dint get any response. Unfortunate to say but I am not happy with their work culture as they donot respond to most of the enquiries unless they fall under "straight answers" category which is not my case. I would again try to write to them but I was also thinking of writing to some one in the dental school in Oral Med/Path deprtment. I am sure that I would once again be directed to ADC ;)
Good luck,
Nagesh

dear Dr Nagesh,
i have finished my undegraduate stdy in dentistry form India.
I would like to know more about the Msc in BioInformatics Course done by u form the Univsty Of East Anglia, Uk..
whats the duration of the course.?
how much is the total tution fees.?
When should i apply for 2006 admsiion..
I hope u can help me in this regard..

Waiting for your reply in anticipation ,
Thanking you
Regards ,
joy