Career Insight (advice) please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisconsindoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated today with my B.S. degree in Biology. There were over 70 graduates with nursing degrees. I graduated from a small liberal arts college. Over the last year I've decided I don't really want to become a doctor (not because of my GPA, but I'm not in ahh at what a doctor does- I do respect the work they do though), so I'm busy looking into other careers that I'm interested in.

Do any of you know anything about the following careers (I will do research on my own as well).

- Pathologist Assistant

- Hospital administration

I'm also thinking of doing an accelerated BSN that will take about 12-15 months in length.

If I decide to do the hospital administration track, I already have three years of hospital work experience and I can do a masters degree (or B.S. degree) online while I work full-time (these degrees are from reall colleges - example: University of Arkansas Medical Sciences). This way I don't need to take out any loans. I just need to contact the employers to see if I need the B.S. degree or not since I already have a B.S. degree.

I wouldn't mind working as a nurse, but I don't really want to take out more money - but will if have to. The thing about nursing is that it is a rewarding career and you can move all around the country to work. The salary for nursing can be very rewarding as you can do several side jobs while working full-time (example: taking triage calls while working at home at nights or on the weekends, working for law firms, etc).

I'm married, so I don't have to worry about taking out a loan anymore to pay for food and housing.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Those fields don't fall into the interest category for pre-allo students who are concerned with how to successfully make it into medical school. This really isn't the place to be asking for advice on them. Your own research from other sources would be more effective.

Over the past months you've been posting about the lucrative careers you already have so that you can earn your mega-dollars right out of school. Perhaps some of your contacts that you make through the placement service you work for will be able to provide you some leads.

Those fields don't fall into the interest category for pre-allo students who are concerned with how to successfully make it into medical school. This really isn't the place to be asking for advice on them. Your own research from other sources would be more effective.

Over the past months you've been posting about the lucrative careers you already have so that you can earn your mega-dollars right out of school. Perhaps some of your contacts that you make through the placement service you work for will be able to provide you some leads.

Ohhhhhh, SLAM!

Members don't see this ad :)

:laugh:
you do these burns so frequently
you must have a good memory- you always seem to point out the posters who contradict themselves or seem to be lying or insincere based on previous posts

So I graduated today with my B.S. degree in Biology. There were over 70 graduates with nursing degrees. I graduated from a small liberal arts college. Over the last year I've decided I don't really want to become a doctor (not because of my GPA, but I'm not in ahh at what a doctor does- I do respect the work they do though), so I'm busy looking into other careers that I'm interested in.

Do any of you know anything about the following careers (I will do research on my own as well).

- Pathologist Assistant

- Hospital administration

I'm also thinking of doing an accelerated BSN that will take about 12-15 months in length.

If I decide to do the hospital administration track, I already have three years of hospital work experience and I can do a masters degree (or B.S. degree) online while I work full-time (these degrees are from reall colleges - example: University of Arkansas Medical Sciences). This way I don't need to take out any loans. I just need to contact the employers to see if I need the B.S. degree or not since I already have a B.S. degree.

I wouldn't mind working as a nurse, but I don't really want to take out more money - but will if have to. The thing about nursing is that it is a rewarding career and you can move all around the country to work. The salary for nursing can be very rewarding as you can do several side jobs while working full-time (example: taking triage calls while working at home at nights or on the weekends, working for law firms, etc).

I'm married, so I don't have to worry about taking out a loan anymore to pay for food and housing.

Any insight would be appreciated.

What kind of 3 years' work experience in a hospital is it? In general, I doubt you'd be able to slide right into an administrator position right out of college with a degree in biology. Probably you'll need to find a slightly lower level position with a supervisory role. Then you can prove yourself, get an MBA (hopefully reimbursed somewhat by the hospital) and move into an administrator role. Most administrators have MBAs or MHAs.

By the way, some people even combine nursing and administration. So you're a nurse for a while and then eventually you move up into nursing administration (again, they'd probably prefer you to have some type of graduate degree in business or health administration). I'd probably rather be a regular hospital administrator (leading a department or division) than a nursing administrator though.

I have never heard of a pathological assistant, but these paths all sound very different to me. You've certainly got time to try different careers (don't we all...), but for now I'd sit down and try to decide what it is that you really want out of a job at the moment.

I have a pathologist's assistant in my extended family. The person had a degree in medical technology (to be a hosptial laboratory worker) and went on for a master's degree to be a pathologist's assistant.

You can learn more here:

http://www.pathologistsassistants.org/default.aspx?m=1012&s=142

Hospital administrators often come out of nursing depts (as nursing supervisors) or join hospitals after earning an undergrad degree in business. Generally they start in a department such as Human Resources (hiring, personnel policies, benefits, salary scales), budgets, billing and collections, marketing, etc. and eventually go on for an MBA or MHA (sometimes an MPH with a focus on management). I do think that you'd be expected to have had accounting (1 year), perhaps calculus, and perhaps economics and other business classes.