Rec Letters for a career-changer for a Post-Bacc program - also general post-bacc advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

asaplee1999

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all - posted a couple days ago about making a transition from an analyst working in investment banking/private-equity to eventually going to med-school. Super helpful and really appreciate the advice. I wanted to ask how one would go about thinking about recommendation letters. I'm about to start a new job investing in healthcare infrastructure and I'd imagine in ~2-years, I could get a strong rec letter from one of my supervisors. I also plan on finding a consistent volunteer or perhaps research activity in the next 2 years that I could potentially get a rec letter from. Other than that, I stopped taking pre-med classes relatively early (only took chem, physics, a bit of orgo, etc) and don't really have any faculty I am close with in that department. I have other faculty members - a healthcare public policy professor and a healthcare operations professor - that I am not necessarily close with but I could likely "cold-outreach" them and see if they'd be willing to write a rec. Not sure what else I should be thinking about or the best way to navigate these rec letters.

Also if anyone has any general advice on best post-bacc programs to consider or if I should go DIY or a structured program. For some general context on my background, graduated from Stanford in '21 with a 3.8 in Economics and have been working in investment banking/private-equity since, with some focus on healthcare businesses. I took some pre-med classes early on (bio, chem, physics) and did relatively well but it's been a very long-time and it was a family and mental health situation that really pushed me to reconsider medicine.

Thanks so much!
 
Re: Letters of rec - the general rule of thumb is you need at least 1 from a faculty in the sciences who taught you (specifically biology, chemistry, physics, or math — or courses that would qualify as such under AMCAS). I think you may need to bite the bullet and cold-email some of your old profs for a letter no matter how generic. I would also look closely at schools you're interested in; many detail the types of letters of they want. Some may ask for a physician letter too, so just keep that in mind.

I don't believe you are so far removed from pre-med courses that you would need to retake any of them (I think that only becomes a concern 10+ years out of undergrad), and your overall GPA is fine. I think the question here is have you done/accomplished the following (approximately):
-2 terms of a writing intensive/English class
-2 terms of math (1 term of Calc/1 term of stats)
-2 terms of biology with labs, generally covering cell bio, genetics, and anatomy in some combination
-2 terms of general chemistry with lab
-2 terms of organic chemistry with lab
-1 term of biochemistry
-2 terms of physics with lab
-1 term of each of psychology/sociology (not required, but helpful for MCAT).

Others may know more about formal post-bacc vs. DIY, but my impression is choose the one that you need most. If you're only missing a pre-req or two go DIY; if much more than that, then maybe consider a formal post-bacc. I'm sure there's also a financial element to this as well.