Career paths in dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peterthegeorge

Reaction score
Hoping to get an honest opinion from everyone in the dental field. Please do not skip this post

I am currently a dental receptionist and have almost 15 years of experience with marketing, customer service and administration, which is being very useful in the position I am right now, both for my professional growth and for the office I work for.

However, as a new immigrant to Canada I am in a critical stage where I need to define my next educational steps before I get left behind, and here comes my question.

My first alternative is to invest my time in business programs such as business management and human resources, and search for opportunities in the dental industry as a manager, for example. Another option would be to pursue a career as a dental assistant as I can definitely see myself providing good care for patients and being a great assistant to my dentists.

My biggest issue with both choices is that, as you can tell, I’m a man, and it does feel scary to invest my time, money, and energy in a field that is so vastly female dominated.

What are your thoughts about this? I would appreciate every sincere opinion. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No reason why you couldn't pursue either field. Diversity is a good thing. You may find there is a significant salary difference when it comes to being an assistant versus a business manager. Also having both educational backgrounds can make you very useful in the field if that is what your plan is...