Career Switch to Audiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerdgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there.
I am doing research on becoming an audiologist. I'm thinking of switching career. I have taken many chemistry and biology courses so far. Can you share what you need to become an audiologist
and what's the salary they make?

Thanks for your help.:D

Members don't see this ad.

You need:

1. an application
2. work ethic
3. a brain
4. a shotgun

...okay, the shotgun isn't really a requirement; but, if you don't have a shotgun, you should probably get one anyway---especially if you go to school in a high-risk environment. Don't worry, you'll get used to my sense of humor.

Looking up salary trends for yourself on a search engine would provide a bell curve, something a little more accurate than what can be said with words here. But, you have other reasons you're going into the audiology field than money, right?

I definitely got way more brains than you Teuer! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it's Teucer. I am sure you do have brains, though one wouldn't guess it by your spelling and grammar. For future reference, your sentence should read: "I definitely have way more brains than you, Teucer!", or even "...have got more..." or "I've got way more...".

Though, who am I to criticize? Maybe you did in fact intend to convey what you said in the previous post. Where did you get your brains from? Are you a zombie...did you eat them? Obtain them from a cadaver? I am interested to know. :scared:

To refer to your first post, your sentence should read: "...switching careers", unless you intentionally wish to convey yourself as a Chinaman speaking broken English.

I appreciate the pre-emptive "Thank You". You are very welcome for the help; it is the least I can do as an English minor. :thumbup:

Now, as far as the audiology thing, you should reference other threads that have already been posted (and other sources in general). After all, nothing looks lazier than someone neglecting to peruse other posts before asking a question if for no other reason than to avoid a possible redundancy...nothing, of course, except bad spelling, punctuation and grammar! :caution:

Here's the short of it:
What you really need is a bachelor's degree. The closer it is to a speech communications degree the fewer leveling classes you'll need to take (the Au.D. is native to the speech and communication sciences dept.) I personally have a BS in Biology so I must take 2 speech undergrad courses to make up for it.

Income can range from $40k to whatever you want to make in a private practice.

you tools, you forgot to mention the most important... ear plugs when using the shotgun, must protect them ossicles and typmanic membrane :D