Career/Vet School Doubts

Started by JoShappo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can I get a job in your lab?
A research techs life a nutshell: PCR, DNA/RNA/Protein Isolation, Cell Culture, Western Blot, Elisa, Immunohistochemistry and the same types of rat or mouse surgeries week after week. It seems like a variety but gets old after doing it 40hrs/week for 3 years. Yeah, sometimes we do other random, cool stuff but generally you repeat the same assays with different samples over and over.
If you're a post-doc/grad student it's more writing thrown in, and the Primary Investigators spend most of their time writing grant applications, and telling people like me what benchwork to do.
I also think people should do more than just undergrad research to really get a feel for it...I've found it very different.

So, IMHO I think you have to truly care about research to make a career of it.

Maybe that's true of research techs...I guess I've had a unique experience in that I actually got my own grant to do original research and I'm in charge of designing and performing all the experiments that I want. For me it has been very dynamic, and I'm doing something new every day.

On the other hand, I knew that it would be like this in the lab that I'm in...and I had to fight to get into the lab because the PI told me no twice before letting me in. So if you're interested in doing research, try to get into a lab that lets you work independently, even as an undergrad.