Careers acquired through MBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mediterranean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching for this before posting this so if you don't know the answer please don't say to do a search.

I am considering doing an SMP (Master's of Biomedical Science). But my confusion is that although it is used for improving med/dent/vet/pod school admission by redeeming a low GPA, are there careers that are based (or can be obtained after completion) on this master's. I just want to know if there is a backup to my backup :)laugh: sounds silly, huh?). I know I am being too paranoid here but I am just trying to lay out cards before I take the next step and shell out alot of money with nothing to show for it. Also, if you know the salary (no guesses, please) for a particular career you mention, please include it and thank you for your help. My heart is still on medicine but as I said I am trying to be sure I don't get "stuck" during this process. Thank you for your help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

the SMP masters is totally useless except to get into med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure? Have any of you done them and talk to advisors there that explained all the possible options to you?

Are you sure? Have any of you done them and talk to advisors there that explained all the possible options to you?

I mean, you can put it on your resume if you want, maybe some employers would think a 1-year MS (that doesn't have a thesis, most of the time) in a vague, non-specific field is useful, but most do not. This is completely ignoring the fact that SMPs are harder to do well in than the typical masters program. If you get grades commensurate with what you would normally get in a science masters in order to be a competitive candidate in a SMP (3.7+) you'll probably get into med school anyways. Having a ~3.0 in a SMP isn't going to look good to employers anyways. I don't think the degree is going to do you much good if you weren't able to get into med school. It's not designed for anything besides getting students into med school, regardless of what an advisor will tell you.

what field would the degree be useful for? certainly not in research as it is not a research degree, not in industry, since it confers no skills; there are no options. it's a path to med school. period. if you fail in this endeavor, tough luck, some schools offer SMP degree candidates the chance to do a joint degree in a useful field like MPH or nutrition, but this isn't really recommended since it's just diverts your focus from the task at hand.

I mean, you can put it on your resume if you want, maybe some employers would think a 1-year MS (that doesn't have a thesis, most of the time) in a vague, non-specific field is useful, but most do not. This is completely ignoring the fact that SMPs are harder to do well in than the typical masters program. If you get grades commensurate with what you would normally get in a science masters in order to be a competitive candidate in a SMP (3.7+) you'll probably get into med school anyways. Having a ~3.0 in a SMP isn't going to look good to employers anyways. I don't think the degree is going to do you much good if you weren't able to get into med school. It's not designed for anything besides getting students into med school, regardless of what an advisor will tell you.

It seems like you said that if someone were to complete a science master's before doing an SMP in order to apply to medical school. I think you meant that if I were to get a 3.7+ (or more commonly I have heard 3.5+) GPA in either hard science or SMP, then admission to med school would be a better chance. And how come you assume a 3.0 GPA in an SMP? I meant low uGPA in my OP.

It seems like you said that if someone were to complete a science master's before doing an SMP in order to apply to medical school. I think you meant that if I were to get a 3.7+ (or more commonly I have heard 3.5+) GPA in either hard science or SMP, then admission to med school would be a better chance. And how come you assume a 3.0 GPA in an SMP? I meant low uGPA in my OP.

before i answer your question, are you planning on enrolling in UMDNJ's MBS program (i see you're from nj)? if so, i completed it and can tell you a lot about my experiences, but i'm not going to waste my time if that's not the one you're talking about lol

Maybe I wasn't clear in my answer. People completing masters in the sciences will generally need to get ~3.5-3.7 to be considered successful in their degree. It's a bit easier than undergrad because of how grading works. Doing that well in a SMP would make you a competitive candidate for med school, but SMPs are a bit harder to do well in than masters. If you didn't do well in a SMP to the degree that you didn't get into med school (3.0-3.3, for example) then your performance in that degree would be substandard when compared to what people normally get in a science masters, making you a weaker candidate for employment, etc, never minding the fact that the degree isn't considered useful for that purpose anyways.

OK. One more question. If I get a master's in a hard science, would that look unfavorable or if it is as long as I do well there is a chance at a decent admission (at least 1 acceptance?). I always see the rare post that someone did a MPH and got accepted but a lot of people here respond "You are the exception to the rule." I keep hearing SMPs are high risk but from what you told me it seems I could do either.

before i answer your question, are you planning on enrolling in UMDNJ's MBS program (i see you're from nj)? if so, i completed it and can tell you a lot about my experiences, but i'm not going to waste my time if that's not the one you're talking about lol

Yes please tell me about it. I would prefer it via PM if it is a lengthy explanation (please be as detailed as possible).

Yes please tell me about it. I would prefer it via PM if it is a lengthy explanation (please be as detailed as possible).

i'll pm you either tonight or tomorrow while i'm at work (so yea the degree helped me get into medical school AND got me a job until i start haha :))

i'll pm you either tonight or tomorrow while i'm at work (so yea the degree helped me get into medical school AND got me a job until i start haha :))

Thank you so much. Take your time. Your're the best.:clap:

OK. One more question. If I get a master's in a hard science, would that look unfavorable or if it is as long as I do well there is a chance at a decent admission (at least 1 acceptance?). I always see the rare post that someone did a MPH and got accepted but a lot of people here respond "You are the exception to the rule." I keep hearing SMPs are high risk but from what you told me it seems I could do either.

Smps are high risk/high reward. The better ones have a very good success rate (80+% upon successful completion) and will give you a better chance of med school admission than a mph or hard science masters. The hard science masters, however, is a more useful degree. You'll have to weigh the risks and rewards on your own, but most ppl think it's an acceptable risk.

My pre-med adviser (who seems to be pretty knowledgeable) flat out told me that SMPs are a waste of time and money for anyone not falling into a very specific niche. SMPs are really only useful for showing redeeming academic ability, while master's degrees will allow you delve deeper into a specific area of interest.

You might be able to convince a future employer that your SMP is like master's in physiology. Just less in depth, with no research component, and therefore no real opportunity to familiarize yourself with the lab techniques. Not really sure.

If you fail to get into medical school, nursing, PA school, or a PhD are much better alternatives than trying to get a job with an SMP Master's.