careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amideast

Reaction score
Hey question. what if you graduated medical school but failed to match 3 times? and you want to do pharmacy school? how many years? also what should you do?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Does a US medical grad ever fail to match 3 times in a row? I feel like that just doesn’t happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any possibility of practicing in another country?

Hey question. what if you graduated medical school but failed to match 3 times? and you want to do pharmacy school? how many years? also what should you do?

I would assume you would still have to take the pcat?

Once youre in, maybe you can talk to the school and see if you could skip basic science courses like biochem and a&p but im gonna say you would still have to take all the clinical/pharmacotherapy courses.

With a medical degree though, i have a feeling getting accepted would be easier than others who do not have advanced professional degree.

Would you want to go through another 4 years of school though? Just to obtain an inferior degree?

As a failed MD, I would look into Podiatry or low tier Optometry programs. These are more “doctor like” than pharmacy and have better job prospects.

Which specialty did you fail to match into? What did you with the downtime between the failed matches?

Try your luck in Missouri. I haven't looked at the exact laws there but I heard that you can practice as a PA if you graduate from med school but do not complete a residency.

The pharmaceutical industry also hires MDs/DOs which I do not think that residency training is required.

I swear I read about some states letting you practice as a "junior physician" or something without a residency. Basically PA level work.

I would assume you would still have to take the pcat?

Once youre in, maybe you can talk to the school and see if you could skip basic science courses like biochem and a&p but im gonna say you would still have to take all the clinical/pharmacotherapy courses.

With a medical degree though, i have a feeling getting accepted would be easier than others who do not have advanced professional degree.

Would you want to go through another 4 years of school though? Just to obtain an inferior degree?
as for PCAT it is required for the most prestigious schools in my case, since I already have an advanced degree. being the big fish is not a bad thing when it comes to pharmacy.
going for another 4 years of school needs careful planning for sure

Cruise ship physician! Go from port to port, meet people, get in adventures.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Try your luck in Missouri. I haven't looked at the exact laws there but I heard that you can practice as a PA if you graduate from med school but do not complete a residency.

The pharmaceutical industry also hires MDs/DOs which I do not think that residency training is required.
This. Shouldn't be hard to get a job in a pharmaceutical company with a MD.

I sat on the admissions committee for a little while, and I feel like I would have been really wary of an MD coming to pharmacy school because they couldn't match to any residency. The PhD program probably would have loved it though.

Reactions: 1 users
I sat on the admissions committee for a little while, and I feel like I would have been really wary of an MD coming to pharmacy school because they couldn't match to any residency. The PhD program probably would have loved it though.

lol anyone with a pulse seems to be getting in to pharmacy schools now...

Reactions: 2 users
With falling enrollment deans are forced to lower admittance standards to maintain the same cash flow.

• Haha
We are still getting more truly qualified candidates than we have spots and admission requirements haven't been lowered since I started. The school does have a few things going for it keeping it on top of the pile in our region though.

Your thinking is outdated, today's pharmacy school only cares about filling the seats. Come one, come all! Personally I question the intelligence of anyone attempting to take out over 200k in student loans for a pharmd with the job/wage outlook...

Your thinking is outdated, today's pharmacy school only cares about filling the seats. Come one, come all! Personally I question the intelligence of anyone attempting to take out over 200k in student loans for a pharmd with the job/wage outlook...
The thing is with their useless Bio or Chem degree there is really no other choices. At least with a pharmD you can call yourself a pharmacist which might help with attracting females and could even get you a high paying job if you get lucky.

F

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
We are still getting more truly qualified candidates than we have spots and admission requirements haven't been lowered since I started. The school does have a few things going for it keeping it on top of the pile in our region though.

I wonder what school that is, and must be a great program.
There were quite a few individuals in my class that I thought were unqualified to be a pharmacist.
Including myself.

Why was Modest banned?

For the usual reasons, I would imagine. I'm only curious of which mod/admin had that chore. Don't worry, Humble Sloth (probable aka as Modest Anteater) will be back, as well as Carol is Alpha, and the religious one that attributes board passage to prayer.

Until IP bans happen, it's not going to change much. Maybe Board 4.0 will ban VPNs and allow for IP banning.