What careers would a managed care residency prepare someone for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hedgehog32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The thread title basically says it all. Does anyone know what specific careers a managed care residency would prepare someone for upon completion of the program? In other words, is there a "short list" of the most common job titles graduates of these programs typically hold?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Director of pharmacy at a PBM is the one I definitely know of (a friend did that)

I would imagine also some work in hospitals, managing formularies, and in market access in pharmaceutical companies (not sure if that's a direct transition or they work in PBMs/managed care first)

Reactions: 1 users
Director of pharmacy at a PBM is the one I definitely know of (a friend did that)

I would imagine also some work in hospitals, managing formularies, and in market access in pharmaceutical companies (not sure if that's a direct transition or they work in PBMs/managed care first)

Thanks. I'm browsing over the list of residency programs with unmatched positions that are up for grabs in Phase 2, and I noticed that there are a few managed care residencies on the list. I might give it a shot and apply, so that's why I was curious about career trajectories.

Members don't see this ad :)
I strongly contemplated career in managed care, I enjoyed my rotation very much (I was working with the pharmacy director, so actually building benefit designs for different plans and evaluating drugs for tier status, etc., not doing DUR review).

Reactions: 1 users
I have seen people stay on at the institution they do their PGY-1 at. Places like health plans/insurance companies. Sometimes they are called clinical pharmacists still, but they do more pharmacoeconomics and formulary conversion types of things. I would imagine it would prepare you for any job titles having to do with pharmacoeconomics and many of these types of pharmacists work directly for local/state/federal government.

Reactions: 1 user
I did a blended PGY1 with part of that being managed care. I haven't worked specifically in managed care since but understanding payers had helped me a ton in my career - hospital clinical coordinator, residency directory, amb care and now industry.

Last edited:
I did a blended PGY1 with part of that being managed care. I haven't worked specifically in managed care since but understanding payers had helped me a ton in my career - hospital clinical coordinator, residency directory, amb care and now industry.

Unfortunately, it appears that doing a managed care residency was not in the cards for me, as I didn't even hear back from the site I applied to during phase 2.