carib, d.o. , mcats---what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alkapalka

i enjoy capsule stains
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
. I am a semester away from starting medical school.. I would love to be a D.O., but, I am not sure if my credentials are good enough.

I don't know what is best for me to do and I am terrified to make the wrong choice. Please help

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Take the MCAT and get your DO.

I'd have to agree with McGillGrad.
Granted, I'm definitely biased; however, I did seriously contemplate a 4 year Caribbean trip after my 24 rejections the first time around.
I'm curious, what BS/DO program are you in? UMDNJ? MSU? OSU?

Regardless, I wish you all the luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
alkapalka said:
I am having a really hard time figuring out what to do with myself.
I am in a combined bs/do program in my 3rd year. I am a semester away from starting medical school, however, I am still missing the score that I need on my mcat (missed by 1 point). I plan on taking it over in April. I would love to be a D.O., but, I am not sure if my credentials are good enough.

gpa-3.57
mcat- 7 verbal 7 physical 9 bio

In the meantime, I got accepted into Ross for January but decided to defer until September so I can re-take the exam.

I don't know what is best for me to do and I am terrified to make the wrong choice. Please help

apply to another DO school

alkapalka said:
I am in a combined bs/do program in my 3rd year. I am a semester away from starting medical school, however, I am still missing the score that I need on my mcat (missed by 1 point). I plan on taking it over in April. I would love to be a D.O., but, I am not sure if my credentials are good enough.

gpa-3.57

In the meantime, I got accepted into Ross for January but decided to defer until September so I can re-take the exam.

dont make my mistake. study hard to make your mcat score what it needs to be. the AVERAGE for matriculating students is 24. id suggest working harder and hitting your score or better.

If your gpa is 3.4 or better your 23 mcat will get you into a dozen or more do schools. just apply to the right ones: lecom,unecom,pscom,vcom,wsvom,azcom.

ezal36 said:
If your gpa is 3.4 or better your 23 mcat will get you into a dozen or more do schools. just apply to the right ones: lecom,unecom,pscom,vcom,wsvom,azcom.

With your GPA and MCAT you will be accepted in many DO schools.
Do not give up. Apply to many school and I am sure you will get in.
you are in BS/DO programe which means that you want to be a DO and any school likes to hear that.

Good luck.

Not to bash but just wondering why are there always so many staunch pro DO students on the carribean threads? Where are all the pro carrib students?

I think www.valuemd.com might be a better site to get more info on carrib. schools. I m kinda in the same prediciment as you. Carrib, DO, or masters program. Its a tough choice.

alkapalka said:

gpa-3.57

RETAKE the MCAT!!! I posted this another forum.

I truly don't understand the reasoning people have by just assuming the MCAT is insurmountable because they took it twice. I know of people who took the MCAT more than 3 times and got into a U.S. med school. I hope this is not offensive to the people in this forum??? Sorry in advance.

Just focus on the MCAT ONLY for about 3 months.

If the MCAT is the only thing stopping you from getting into a US. med school, then reake it again.
"Geez!

Don't despair!

Now, think if Kaplan did not work for you the first time, then why did you use them again! Go to princeton review also and check them out. I recommend you take the MCAT again and focus on it only.

This is how it goes: You do all of the example problems in princeton review and know them backwards and forwards. The formulas must also be at your fingertips.

Do as many Q's as possible this is where Kaplan comes in. Do all of the AMCAS review exams and see how you are doing. If on the princeton review exams you are scoring in the 30's, then you are ready to go and take the exam.

Verbal seems to be a problem too, I bet. Do passages and learn the tips from princeton review on how to conquer these insane passages!!

Remember the MCAT is not insurmountable. You need to think like the MCAT, breathe the MCAT, and ace the MCAT.

Go back to your plan on studying for the MCAT. If you have to sign up for Kaplan and princeton at the same time, then do it! You want to go to medical school, right?!!! So, spend a little money now and the rest should come down the pipe.

Again,take some time off and focus ONLY on the MCAT!! Forget about extracurricular activities, phlebolomy, and shadowing if you already have some.

You have another shot at this MCAT so go out and CONQUER it!!

Nobody comes out of the womb doing well on the MCAT. They just prepared and studied for it.

And, if you seem depressed, then know that there are others out there that took the test more than three times and got into medical school.

Put MCAT as your first priority and everything else second!

If you need a cheerleader and need support, I suggest some therapy or exercise or something to help you focus and not burn out.

Cheers!"

Retake the MCAT: it is not insurmountable. Just study for it for about 3 months if you have too. Go to the princeton review course and know the example questions backwards and forwards for chem. and physics. Know the example problems so well you can do them in your sleep. Know the formulas at your fingertips. For biology and organic chem. Focus more on the organic and know the paths really well. But, still know the princeton review notes for bio really well.

Verbal passages can only be conquered by doing as many passages by using the tips from princeton review.

Do sample passages from Kaplan or the princeton review and do as many as possible.

I would listen carefully to the examples given out in class. Yes, go to class for the princeton review course.

Do all of the AMCAS exams.

See how you do on the Princeton review simulated exams. You should get a score in the 30's on them then take the real thing.

I recommend going all out for the MCAT. Make a study plan for the 3 months and take one day off per week to have fun.

If you did Kaplan and have a guarantee from them you can use their center for taking passages then use it. But, the best recommendation I can offer is to know the notes and example questions of princeton review and do as many questions from the princeton review question books. Don't do all of them just do the ones they recommend in class but know these questions down pat. repetition does not hurt.

I wish you well. Come back here and post again to tell me if my advice worked.

psychedoc2b

thank you all so much!

NRAI2001 said:
Not to bash but just wondering why are there always so many staunch pro DO students on the carribean threads? Where are all the pro carrib students?

I think www.valuemd.com might be a better site to get more info on carrib. schools. I m kinda in the same prediciment as you. Carrib, DO, or masters program. Its a tough choice.

Definately agreed.

IndianBabu