1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Caribbean/D.O. to faculty positions

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by thisisapickle, Apr 25, 2007.

1. thisisapickle

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello all and thanks for looking!

So basically I am between D.O. and Caribbean medical schools because well basically my grades suck i mean if you looked at my transcripts you may consider me as ******ed. I have repeated some course so my AACOM gpa is like 3.2-3.3 but AAMC gpa is 2.85. Taking MCAT in July (practices mid 30's).

Enough about me, my questions stems from the fact that I am interested in educational medicine and translational research. I am wondering if there are MANY opportunities for D.O.'s or Caribbean medical school grads to get faculty positions at teaching/research hospitals. Or does it matter more about residency/fellowships?

Thanks again any help!

P.S. Mark Cuban and Mavs SUCK!!!!!!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Most Carib students have sketchy grades so do not worry about looking too bad. We are all in the same boat.

As for teaching/research positions, you might be at a slight disadvantage because you are not from a top medical school, but the person is more important and if you do really well in your residency program, then the sky is the limit for 95% of all positions.

Although, it is important to keep in mind that Carib schools do not offer research for students (at least not up until this year).

You would have to ask DO people about research opportunity there.

4. microphage

microphage Useless Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    quite a few schools offer research. Do a search on valuemd :laugh:

(I did research in basic sciences.. or so says the conference we presented at)

5. McGillGrad

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sure you did, sweetheart...

There is a big difference between doing medical school research and what you did. Presenting some info in SanFran on some podunk research is not on the same level as medical schools such as McGill and Harvard where you go to real hospitals and do research with the professors.

6. microphage

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yup. AUC ain't Harvard.. or even McGill because everybody who attends those schools wouldn't waste time on Caribbean research projects let alone Caribbean Medical schools. :p

7. McGillGrad

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If it makes you feel good to think you did research then more power to you, but do not lie to people and make them think they will get research similar to type at LCME schools.

8. microphage

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    right.. because you would know what research is since you're a med student from an LCME school.

;)

9. microphage

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Back to the question at hand.. From what I've seen in clinicals and on interviews, it matters more on residency and fellowships.(just don't count on being at a top univ hospital or anything, although it is possible)

There's even a fellowship for what you're asking.
    http://www.aafp.org/fellowships/10466.html

best of luck.

10. McGillGrad

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I would go to an optho and get your eyes checked out. Everytime you reply to me you are either winking or rolling your eyes. It might be Tourette's syndrome.

Good luck with your FM residency, captain.

11. ny skindoc

ny skindoc Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

There are many DOs on faculty of US med schools however mostly on the clinical faculty.IMGs with research credentials are also well represented.However you will have an uphill road if you go this way.There is very little real research done at the Carib or DO schools.so you will have to seek out this experience and it wont be easy since you wont have alot of spare time. Yes.. doing your residency at a top research residency program will help,but realistically its uncommon for DOs or Carib grads to match into these places unless they have outstanding credentials.
    If you are serious about this careeer goal you will need to do really well academically in med school wherever you go,shoot for the best university program you can get and do research at a highly regarded residency/fellowship program.

12. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's very possible to get into academics coming from a Caribbean medical school. I know a few people who are now medical school faculty that graduated from Caribbean medical schools. The biggest criteria is NOT where you went to medical school, it is (you may have guessed it)... research and grants!

The top schools in the country will let you in as faculty if you're bringing in grant money. Having personally had previous experience with academics and grants, I can tell you this was true with every university I talked with. As long as you are pumping out papers and raking in dollars, they won't give a rats a$$ where you went to school. When I was doing CKD research as part of a grant from Amgen, there wasn't a university around that didn't want our group working with them because of the money involved.

You may not know this, but even if the university does NOTHING for you with the grant, they still get a 25% - 45% "administration fee" that comes directly out of the grant. That's why grants are so important to being faculty - it all comes down to money.