Caribbean Doctor Life

Started by hopefool
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hopefool

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I am thinking about applying to the caribbean next year, hopefully being able to get into Ross. I graduated Cornell but with a bad gpa, 2.5 and am now taking my pre-reqs at a 3.8 clip. I plan on taking orgo and physics this summer and taking the fall off to study for the mcat, which I want to take in January '09. Taking that mcat I then plan to apply for the may semester.

Im 24 now and its either this or work for another 3-4 years in school, run the risk of not getting into US MD or DO schools anyway, applying again and again and then eventually winding up goin to the caribbean anyway with 4 someodd years wasted.

Granted I do well in the caribbean what are my job/practice/salary projections from graduating Ross? I really dont know anything about this aspect of the process, I mean I understand that they arent as good as US MD grads but, in numbers, what am I looking at? Honestly, I just want to get my life started and be able to make a reasonably good salary practicing medicine. Ill know, if I do well, that it was just my apathy towards school in college that prevented me from being a brain surgeon or whatever, but as long as I can be a practicing doctor and, because it IS a real concern for everyone, make a pretty good salary I will be happy.

THANKS EVERYONE!
 
If you pass Ross, do well on step 1/2 and apply/interview smartly then you will match somewhere and the rest is up to how well you fit in.
 
Sorry to ask but this is somewhat vague. Ive seen your posts on other threads and you seem to be knowledgeable...you went to a caribbean school I thought?

What do you mean fit in exactly. If Im right and you did go to a caribbean school, what are you doin now?

And again, just for informational/decision making purposes, do you know any kind of minimum salary numbers just so I can gauge better what Im looking at...

Thanks!

If you pass Ross, do well on step 1/2 and apply/interview smartly then you will match somewhere and the rest is up to how well you fit in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You seem to be under the impression that Carib docs make less money or have less opportunity than US docs once they finish residency.

Once you get a residency spot, you are on equal footing and what differentiates you from the rest is your skill set and your ability to work with a team.

I'm still in med school...


Sorry to ask but this is somewhat vague. Ive seen your posts on other threads and you seem to be knowledgeable...you went to a caribbean school I thought?

What do you mean fit in exactly. If Im right and you did go to a caribbean school, what are you doin now?

And again, just for informational/decision making purposes, do you know any kind of minimum salary numbers just so I can gauge better what Im looking at...

Thanks!
 
You seem to be under the impression that Carib docs make less money or have less opportunity than US docs once they finish residency.

Once you get a residency spot, you are on equal footing and what differentiates you from the rest is your skill set and your ability to work with a team.

I'm still in med school...


Right ok, Im just feeling the whole process out as of right now.