caribbean medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d4dental

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi..
i have a ? to anyone that can help me, Does anyone know which school is the best Caribbean medical school to attend, and why? Here are some of the schools i am looking at:
1: International University of Health sciences
2: Medical University of the Americas
3:University of Health sciences of Antigua
4: Grace University school of medicine
5:Saba University school of medicine
6:Spartan Health sciences university
7:university of Saint Eustasius medical school
8:St james school of medicine
9: st. Mary's school of medicine
10: Windsor university of medicine
11: st. martinus
SORRY ABOUT THE LONG LIST..ANY FEEDBACK WOULD HELP GREATLY..THANKS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi..
i have a ? to anyone that can help me, Does anyone know which school is the best Caribbean medical school to attend, and why? Here are some of the schools i am looking at:

St. George's, Saba and Ross are usually the top 3 I think. With St. George's usually the consensus number 1. Be careful when applying to some of these schools..

Members don't see this ad :)
St. George's, Saba and Ross are usually the top 3 I think. With St. George's usually the consensus number 1. Be careful when applying to some of these schools..
You mean the big 4 with AUC being # 2 on my list.

Hi..

The best Caribbean schools to attend are these four: SGU, Ross, AUC, and Saba. Graduates from those four can practice in all 50 states. Be careful with some of those schools you listed. Some of them are not even legitimate, or they offer a questionable education at best.

HELLO
you guys are all talking about the top 3 or 4 schools, but no one mentions the AUA (American university of Antigua)..it looks like a good school with great living conditions and it is affiliated with a lot of schools in the US, and it is a growing School, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANYONE INPUT ON THE AUA SCHOOL!!!!
THANKS...

HELLO
you guys are all talking about the top 3 or 4 schools, but no one mentions the AUA (American university of Antigua)..it looks like a good school with great living conditions and it is affiliated with a lot of schools in the US, and it is a growing School, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANYONE INPUT ON THE AUA SCHOOL!!!!
THANKS...

Its not approved in all 50 states, so watch out. Any reason you can't attend one of the top four? Their graduates are allowed to practice in all 50 states.

Hi..

This is the list with some off of it due to big license problems

1. SGU
2. AUC
3. ROSS
4. SABA ( always 4 due to no student federal loans)
5. MUA
6. AUA
7. St. Matts
8. Windsor?
9.St. Eustacius
10. St James
11. Xavier

any more forget it? really you cannot make it into one of these then how do expect to be a DR.:eek:

AUA is a very good and old school and if you are up to a bilingual education, then go for it.

Dude, you're crazy to even put St. Theresa on there. I heard that place closed down last year. In my opinion, stick to SGU, Ross, and AUC. If you don't get accepted into one of these three schools in the Caribbean, start looking at other career options. If you really desire to go into the medical field, you will get into one of these three offshore schools.

Dude, you're crazy to even put St. Theresa on there. I heard that place closed down last year. In my opinion, stick to SGU, Ross, and AUC. If you don't get accepted into one of these three schools in the Caribbean, start looking at other career options. If you really desire to go into the medical field, you will get into one of these three offshore schools.

yes you are right, but it is not closed. I edited it due to my mistake

BTW AUA is only about 3 or 4 years old now. Did you mean AUC?

i heard that California does not allow any person who attended a Caribbean school to practice in California, IS THAT TRUE...i know they let you do rotations there but not residency

i heard that California does not allow any person who attended a Caribbean school to practice in California, IS THAT TRUE...i know they let you do rotations there but not residency

OMG and the sky is falling too

Big 4

SGU, AUC, ROSS and SABA are 4 Caribbean schools that are approved

Unless approved in Cali

No
Rotations
Clerkships
Residency
License

period

( I love uninformed premeds):laugh:

I don't mean any disrespect, but whoever told you that is smoking crack. The top Caribbean schools, like SGU or Ross, are approved by the Medical Board of California, meaning their graduates can practice there if they choose to. Look at the list of approved med schools on the Medical Board of California website, and you will see.

AUA is a very good and old school and if you are up to a bilingual education, then go for it.

Why would you need a bilingual education there? AUA is on Antigua which, last time I checked, was on an English-speaking island. Unless, of course, your first language is not English.

You don't need to be bilingual in AUA, you are referring to UAG (Mexico).

I don't mean any disrespect, but whoever told you that is smoking crack. The top Caribbean schools, like SGU or Ross, are approved by the Medical Board of California, meaning their graduates can practice there if they choose to. Look at the list of approved med schools on the Medical Board of California website, and you will see.
Don't forget AUC and Saba on this list. There are only four of them so it doesn't take that much more time to do so. By eliminating them uninformed people will only think that SGU and Ross are the only ones that have licensure in all 50 states, which in fact these four are the only ones that do.

Don't forget AUC and Saba on this list. There are only four of them so it doesn't take that much more time to do so. By eliminating them uninformed people will only think that SGU and Ross are the only ones that have licensure in all 50 states, which in fact these four are the only ones that do.

My intention was not to imply that SGU and Ross were the only two approved by California. I was merely using them as examples. Certainly AUC and Saba are approved by California. I'm not entirely sure that Saba has 50 state approval though. One of my friends was telling me that it is not approved in all 50 states. Or maybe it just obtained approval in all 50 states recently. I'll have to check.

My intention was not to imply that SGU and Ross were the only two approved by California. I was merely using them as examples. Certainly AUC and Saba are approved by California. I'm not entirely sure that Saba has 50 state approval though. One of my friends was telling me that it is not approved in all 50 states. Or maybe it just obtained approval in all 50 states recently. I'll have to check.

That's what I wanted to know too Top Gun.

This whole 50 states approval from Saba? I heard Pennsylvania, Texas etc., can be some issue, but again not 100% on that. I hope some one answer this whole confusion of 50 states approval from Saba.

Many thanks.

Hmm news to me. I thought it was. I didn't know there was any issues.

That's what I wanted to know too Top Gun.

This whole 50 states approval from Saba? I heard Pennsylvania, Texas etc., can be some issue, but again not 100% on that. I hope some one answer this whole confusion of 50 states approval from Saba.

Many thanks.
OK the 50 states thing

its like this, no School has Licensed Doctors in ALL 50 STATES. But
once the school is over 10 years old then Kansas is good for possible Licensure, if California Approved then possible Licensure, so When a school passes these 2 the rest of the 48 states are case by case.
TX, FL and NY have approval lists for Clinicals fast tract License but will consider an IMED and or WHO school for License, you do not need the approval for License then.

This means Case by case consideration for License
When DOctors get Licensed by a state from these schools it seems that there are less problems anticipated then others getting licensed since it has happened at least once now.

SO is that clear?