Caribbean (non "big 4") vs India medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDre2001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who has any knowledge about this question please chime in?

And I am not that concerned with how the lifestyles are different or how the actual education or curriculum is different, I am mostly concerned with how a degree from a school from both of these would be looked upon when I am trying to get a residency spot...ie does a Caribbean (non big "4") degree look better than a degree from an indian medical school (a pretty decent one).

Members don't see this ad.

Be more specific.

1. What Indian school are you talking about ? Quality varies a hell lot over there.
2. And of the non - big 4, which one are you referring to ? Again, huge quality difference.

Be more specific.

1. What Indian school are you talking about ? Quality varies a hell lot over there.
2. And of the non - big 4, which one are you referring to ? Again, huge quality difference.

True, I indeed should have been more specific.

1. The med school in the city of Patalia
2. ASUM Aruba

Also, is there a way to get match lists and stats (USMLE pass rates, etc) for these schools? I can easily find this for any of the big 4 Caribbean schools, but I can't find it for ASUM Aruba. If anyone knows, please help. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who has any knowledge about this question please chime in?

And I am not that concerned with how the lifestyles are different or how the actual education or curriculum is different, I am mostly concerned with how a degree from a school from both of these would be looked upon when I am trying to get a residency spot...ie does a Caribbean (non big "4") degree look better than a degree from an indian medical school (a pretty decent one).
DrDre2001 [3.15, 32] Interview (LECOM-B, Touro-NY, NSU-COM)

You have these interviews and you are thinking about going to carib or india. Do good in your interviews dude...Don't not worry about going abroad as you know about the difficulty of getting residency from coming from abroad school. Your stats are good. You gonna get at least an acceptance from US schools.

Well to be honest, if those are your stats, you definitely have a shot a D.O. Maybe not MD, but you never know. So hang in there, don't take the alternate route just yet. LECOM has a 24 MCAT requirement, you almost certainly will get in. :thumbup:

As for schools in Patiala, if you're talking about GMC, then that's a great school. In general, Government medical colleges in India are considered far superior to private ones (exception being KMC, Manipal). They are the hardest to get into and usually have the smartest kids and faculty.

And i'd stay vary of any school that doesn't openly publish it's match list. I'm not saying the big 4 have extraordinary results either but they usually don't hide anything and give the student name, the hospital and the specialty. Many schools just give you names of the hospital...that's sketchy IMO.

DrDre2001 [3.15, 32] Interview (LECOM-B, Touro-NY, NSU-COM)

You have these interviews and you are thinking about going to carib or india. Do good in your interviews dude...Don't not worry about going abroad as you know about the difficulty of getting residency from coming from abroad school. Your stats are good. You gonna get at least an acceptance from US schools.

Thanks.

I actually wasn't asking this question for myself though. I myself do have those three interviews and I hope you are right and I do get in this year (and thanks for the encouraging words). Also, I was accepted into SGU (a big 3 Caribb school) a year ago and changed my mind and became dead set on US DO.

This site has informed me about many things, so when a friend of mine came to me with the question and I couldn't give him an answer, I immediately posted it here.