Caribbean options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsk89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I am currently applying this cycle, and based on how things have gone so far, I am pretty sure I will be rejected from every school I applied to. This has to do with my low stats, and unfortunately I did not plan ahead to apply for DO simultaneously. As much as I wish to go to medical school in the United States as I've lived here my whole life, I am considering the Caribbean. I also considered reapplying, but to be honest, my ultimate goal is to be a doctor in the end, so I would prefer to not take another year (or even more) essentially trying to get into US schools. My question is what are the decent Caribbean schools I should consider? I'd appreciate any advice/help/support, I'm really down right now. I know my stats weren't like a bunch of people on here but I worked really hard up until now and to get rejection after rejection just hurts.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey so I am currently applying this cycle, and based on how things have gone so far, I am pretty sure I will be rejected from every school I applied to. This has to do with my low stats, and unfortunately I did not plan ahead to apply for DO simultaneously. As much as I wish to go to medical school in the United States as I've lived here my whole life, I am considering the Caribbean. I also considered reapplying, but to be honest, my ultimate goal is to be a doctor in the end, so I would prefer to not take another year (or even more) essentially trying to get into US schools. My question is what are the decent Caribbean schools I should consider? I'd appreciate any advice/help/support, I'm really down right now. I know my stats weren't like a bunch of people on here but I worked really hard up until now and to get rejection after rejection just hurts.

Hope for the best for this cycle. If it doesn't work out, reapply next cycle with improvements (with some DO in there). Don't go Caribbean. A year's gap is nothing in the long run.

Hope for the best for this cycle. If it doesn't work out, reapply next cycle with improvements (with some DO in there). Don't go Caribbean. A year's gap is nothing in the long run.

+1 dont go caribbean. while going to med school on a beach certainly would be lovely you will regret it when it comes time to match for residencies

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a reason you can't just apply D.O. now? You wouldn't be super early but you wouldn't be late either.

+1 dont go caribbean. while going to med school on a beach certainly would be lovely you will regret it when it comes time to match for residencies

I don't this is that bad. If you get high USMLE, you'll be fine. I have seen people with good USMLEs get pre-match offers and in good programs.

I don't this is that bad. If you get high USMLE, you'll be fine. I have seen people with good USMLEs get pre-match offers and in good programs.

I know of two students who went to the Caribbean schools and both came back to the states to start rotations and had to take a year off because they couldn't find anything. The Caribbean education is not worth it. Better take a year off and come back stronger for a MD or DO school in the states.

What are your stats?