Caribbean Student switch schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheeze_whiZ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I need a little advice about a situation I am in.

I have completed my basic science, 5 semesters at MUA, got A's in everything, but later had to voluntarily withdraw due to financial issues. I did NOT write step 1. Now it's a year later and I've made enough money and secured a loan to continue. MUA does not allow readmission.

I'm thinking of going to another school that is slightly cheaper to finish my education. My concern is between my time gap and transferring down I will be not be able to match at all due to all the red flags this may raise.

I'm not sure if it's worth even trying, many of my friends who are carib graduates are encouraging me but I thought I could use some some unbiased advice.

I took some NBMES recently after studying for a good month and a half, if they are to be trusted I should score around 231 + or - 5.

just fyi I'm canadian, and I am only interested in family

Let me know what you guys think, please be brutal

Members don't see this ad.

The advice will not be unbiased here. But I suppose if you're interested only in FM that can only play in your favor

Reactions: 1 users
Hi

I have completed my basic science, 5 semesters at MUA, got A's in everything, but later had to voluntarily withdraw due to financial issues. I did NOT write step 1. Now it's a year later and I've made enough money and secured a loan to continue. MUA does not allow readmission.

I'm thinking of going to another school that is slightly cheaper to finish my education. My concern is between my time gap and transferring down I will be not be able to match at all due to all the red flags this may raise.

I'm not sure if it's worth even trying, many of my friends who are carib graduates are encouraging me but I thought I could use some some unbiased advice.

I took some NBMES recently after studying for a good month and a half, if they are to be trusted I should score around 231 + or - 5.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good God, where are all these MUA people coming from? I told you people this school was rigged. Now I know it for sure wasn't me that was the problem.

OP, If you didn't fail anything, you can take a leave of absence for over a year if I'm not mistaken. Did you talk to administration about that?

OP, If you didn't fail anything, you can take a leave of absence for over a year if I'm not mistaken. Did you talk to administration about that?

yes, unfortunately you are not allowed to take any time off during your step 1 150 days limit, I passed comp but was unable to sit for step due to work. Had to make a choice and either take step while working and not studying, or leave.

yes, unfortunately you are not allowed to take any time off during your step 1 150 days limit, I passed comp but was unable to sit for step due to work. Had to make a choice and either take step while working and not studying, or leave.

That is crazy. Whatever you do, don't give up now. Why don't you try a smaller school who will let you write STEP? Trinity, Avalon?

I think Ross, AUA, and even UMHS might only take transfers for third year who have a STEP1 score. Ross wanted a minimum 220 to transfer for third year when I inquired last year.

But like you had pointed out, coming out of the Caribbean you don't want to have any red flags. I wouldn't say you're situation is a red flag per se but you should talk to other schools about your predicament. I've seen people who fail STEP1 and still match and that's not you so don't give up.

Hi

Couldn't you restart medical school in the Caribbean and slaughter step 1?

That is crazy. Whatever you do, don't give up now. Why don't you try a smaller school who will let you write STEP? Trinity, Avalon?

I think Ross, AUA, and even UMHS might only take transfers for third year who have a STEP1 score. Ross wanted a minimum 220 to transfer for third year when I inquired last year.

But like you had pointed out, coming out of the Caribbean you don't want to have any red flags. I wouldn't say you're situation is a red flag per se but you should talk to other schools about your predicament. I've seen people who fail STEP1 and still match and that's not you so don't give up.

1 Caribbean school is a red flag. Switching between them is a red billboard.

1 Caribbean school is a red flag. Switching between them is a red billboard.

Reply only if you are in that position and you know what steps this individual needs to take.

Don't reply with that red flag crap please. It's getting old.

Hi

There are a few US LCME medical schools that would have taken you as a transfer had you scored on Step 1 above the national mean, based on availability and attrition in those schools.

However you need to take Step 1 and since you have no school to sponsor you, you are in trouble

Caribbean medical schools would gladly take you as a tran$fer ju$t because they $care about you. You will probably have to take preclinical courses to make it worth their while. $$$$$

So get on board with a Carib medical school, take Step 1, and if you do well, dump the Carib medical school and jump to an LCME medical school that has room for you as a Carib transfer medical student.
Or stay at that medical school and find your own rotations. Youre not the first one to be in your predicament