Caribbean Success Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newsubstancep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Carib school grad success story. Which school? Doesnt matter for the sake of this post, but it is one of the traditional Big 4 and I graduated within the last 5-8 years. From the humble origins of this Carib school, I made it into my dream specialty at a top program while that specialty was uber competitive, and have since landed my dream job. I literally love my work and my specialty. On top of that, my career success has given me the ability to live in the center of the downtown of my favorite city in a luxury highrise with all the amenities of a ritz carlton. I drive my dream car and get treated with the same respect of any of my colleagues who went to Ivy League medical schools. I am so far removed from my time on the island, that I often forget that I am a graduate of a Carib school, which can sometimes feel like a stain on the order of a scarlet letter while you are still a student or a resident. However, this is not an ode to my greatness. I was not a genius who lost their way into a Carib school. I was a regular student, just like you, and I made it through, just like you inshallah will. I am sharing this post as a small beacon of light for those who need encouragement or discouragement of whether or not to go through this process.

In a moment of boredom today, I clicked my way into the Carib meschool forums for the first time in years, and saw the usual fear and loathing of current/prospective students, and the cyber bashing of carib schools by outsiders, and remembered the feeling of being on the other side so hope this is helpful to someone.

It is very possible to make it. It takes a lot of work and you have to know what kind of person you are, whether you are willing to put the work in or not, and what kind of dedication you have. If you are the type of person that is on the verge of making it into a canadian or US med school and getting waitlisted but not making the cut, you have the stuff it takes but not the opportunity so the carib will give you that opportunity to prove yourself. If you were great in another career, and want to make the switch but are a little nontraditional of an applicant to be accepted to a CDN/US med school, you can also be great in medicine if given the opportunity. But if you are considering this as a first choice bc you know you have no chance to get in anywhere else, save your money and become a PA or choose any other great, lucrative but guaranteed career path out there.

In my school, probably only 50% of the people who started with me graduated from basic sciences, and of those survivors, probably 3/4ths matched into residency at all. The rest who didnt make it, just sacrificed years of their lives and a lot of family money to pay the salaries of these for-profit schools. When I was a student, SGU, Ross, Saba, and AUC were the big 4. MUA was a great school. and maybe 4-5 others were acceptable. There were 20 other schools that were joke predator schools.

Going to a Carib school is a LOT harder than going to a traditional school. Anyone who thinks a carib doc is taking the easy way in has it way wayy wrong. It is a lot easier to get accepted for sure, but a lot harder to make it in the end. Being accepted to medical school is worth zero, all that matters is getting accepted to and completing a residency. Consider becoming a doctor in your specialty like running an uphill 10 mile race. The starting point for a traditional medical school is about 3 miles up the way, a position that their accepted students were able to trek gradually over 4 years of undergrad. A Big 4 caribbean medical starts at the 0 mile , you have to make up those 3 miles and still race the remaining 7 all within those 3.5-4 years of Caribbean schooling. So it may be easier to get in because the threshold for acceptance is lower, but make no mistake, you will make up for that easier acceptance by a much more difficult vetting process. Your USMLE score and research does not compare to your traditional US counterpart when you apply for residency. You need 5-10 points higher on avg, some cases a lot more, and an extra research experience or 2 to be on the same page as him/her. But once you make it into residency, your past sins are forgiven and you are back in the same race as everyone else, where all that matters is which residency you got into.

Because of those stats, I still always advice DO schools over Carib. I rotated with a mix of DO students and US medical students, and have encountered many of both in residency and work, there is zero difference between their intelligence or competence. And I also suggest trying for a 2nd or 3rd year even before accepting Caribbean. In my case, I didn't follow that advice and applied straight to Carib, which saved me 2-3 years, but I think it would have been worth it to forego a year for the guarantees of a traditional med school. But, if you want to become a doctor, and those doors are closed and you have what it takes to make it, then you can still become the doctor you dream of being by going through the Caribbean. The biggest piece of advice is to not consider any school out of the current top 5 or 6. If you can afford SGU, which I did not attend, I do know that it gives you an advantage over the rest but comes with a hefty pricetag (in the order of 400-500k debt during residency). If you go lower than the top 6, you are putting yourself at an unfair disadvantage that is hard to overcome. That said, I do know several Gastroenterologists, Intensivists, and Cardiologists who have graduated from lesser schools. But, they worked for it. Also note that those are all amazing specialties but all derive from internal medicine where you are given more time to make up for your choice of school. If you are in a lesser school, apply for transfer while you can.

Hope this helps someone on the ropes one way or another. The struggle is real, but so is the chance for success. One day, if you keep chiseling, all the hard work will be a distant memory and your Carib struggle will become a badge of honor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Just wanted to add. Life on the island is what you make of it. I really enjoyed the experience a lot but mileage may vary. It is a lot like Walden's pond, but with a set schedule and bunch of people who will become your closest friends (and sometimes enemies). Its a unique and controlled life experience that just lasts about 20 months, but can be amazing. Rotations can be just as fun bc its a great chance to try living in new places for short periods at a time if you want to move around.

Reactions: 1 users
Summarizing for the TL;DR inclined:
  • attend one of the "big four" schools - there are a lot of "joke" schools out there
  • it is possible to make it with work, dedication, and being honest with yourself
  • don't consider this route a "first choice" - do something else if you were not a 'near miss' in the U.S.
  • the Carib pathway is not an easy path - apply to U.S. for 2-3 cycles first
  • consider D.O. over Carib, given the chance - there is no difference in competence, training, etc. in the end
  • the goal is to get to residency (and beyond)
  • you can achieve, but the struggle is real
-Skip

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview at SGU but am really worried about going to a Caribbean school. I took the MCAT multiple times but never could get the score. I did a post-bac that was the same classes the first year medical students at a DO program do and the same tests. I got a 3.3 gpa in that program and it was a tough year. I applied for DO schools but no interviews. Any advise?

Please no annoying kill yourself replies.

I got an interview at SGU but am really worried about going to a Caribbean school. I took the MCAT multiple times but never could get the score. I did a post-bac that was the same classes the first year medical students at a DO program do and the same tests. I got a 3.3 gpa in that program and it was a tough year. I applied for DO schools but no interviews. Any advise?

How many times have you applied to Med school? general advice seems to apply at least 2-3 times before giving Carrib any consideration. Contrary to what is on this forum, I'd take my SGU acceptance. Yes it's a risk, but if you truly believe that you have the work ethic and skills then what's stopping you? Before making that decision, it would be also a good idea to be honest with yourself: Why were you not able to perform as well as you wanted on the MCAT? Why did you get a 3.3 instead of that 3.5 you wanted (for example). Just my .02 of course :)

Reactions: 1 user
I am a non traditional student. 506 MCAT. 9 years of experience as a medic in the army. My first attempt at college was a disaster. Started from scratch. My GPA at the new school is ~3.4 to 3.5 got to go back and check but my older grades bring it down to about a 3.0. Applied in state only last cycle. ( trying to stay close to my kids as I won’t be able to take them with me). Interviewed in November at a DO school. I was waitlisted soon after. Just got dropped from the waitlist last week. I intend to apply to several schools this cycle. Considering the Caribbean schools but don’t know very much about them. I work two part time jobs, teach music at a local church once a week. And still drill once a month in the army. I graduate May 5th (this week) BS in chemistry-health science. (Bilingual English 1st Spanish 2nd). Getting ready to reapply, but if it turns out that the Caribbean is my only option I will take it. Your thoughts?

I am a Carib school grad success story. Which school? Doesnt matter for the sake of this post, but it is one of the traditional Big 4 and I graduated within the last 5-8 years. From the humble origins of this Carib school, I made it into my dream specialty at a top program while that specialty was uber competitive, and have since landed my dream job. I literally love my work and my specialty. On top of that, my career success has given me the ability to live in the center of the downtown of my favorite city in a luxury highrise with all the amenities of a ritz carlton. I drive my dream car and get treated with the same respect of any of my colleagues who went to Ivy League medical schools. I am so far removed from my time on the island, that I often forget that I am a graduate of a Carib school, which can sometimes feel like a stain on the order of a scarlet letter while you are still a student or a resident. However, this is not an ode to my greatness. I was not a genius who lost their way into a Carib school. I was a regular student, just like you, and I made it through, just like you inshallah will. I am sharing this post as a small beacon of light for those who need encouragement or discouragement of whether or not to go through this process.

In a moment of boredom today, I clicked my way into the Carib meschool forums for the first time in years, and saw the usual fear and loathing of current/prospective students, and the cyber bashing of carib schools by outsiders, and remembered the feeling of being on the other side so hope this is helpful to someone.

It is very possible to make it. It takes a lot of work and you have to know what kind of person you are, whether you are willing to put the work in or not, and what kind of dedication you have. If you are the type of person that is on the verge of making it into a canadian or US med school and getting waitlisted but not making the cut, you have the stuff it takes but not the opportunity so the carib will give you that opportunity to prove yourself. If you were great in another career, and want to make the switch but are a little nontraditional of an applicant to be accepted to a CDN/US med school, you can also be great in medicine if given the opportunity. But if you are considering this as a first choice bc you know you have no chance to get in anywhere else, save your money and become a PA or choose any other great, lucrative but guaranteed career path out there.

In my school, probably only 50% of the people who started with me graduated from basic sciences, and of those survivors, probably 3/4ths matched into residency at all. The rest who didnt make it, just sacrificed years of their lives and a lot of family money to pay the salaries of these for-profit schools. When I was a student, SGU, Ross, Saba, and AUC were the big 4. MUA was a great school. and maybe 4-5 others were acceptable. There were 20 other schools that were joke predator schools.

Going to a Carib school is a LOT harder than going to a traditional school. Anyone who thinks a carib doc is taking the easy way in has it way wayy wrong. It is a lot easier to get accepted for sure, but a lot harder to make it in the end. Being accepted to medical school is worth zero, all that matters is getting accepted to and completing a residency. Consider becoming a doctor in your specialty like running an uphill 10 mile race. The starting point for a traditional medical school is about 3 miles up the way, a position that their accepted students were able to trek gradually over 4 years of undergrad. A Big 4 caribbean medical starts at the 0 mile , you have to make up those 3 miles and still race the remaining 7 all within those 3.5-4 years of Caribbean schooling. So it may be easier to get in because the threshold for acceptance is lower, but make no mistake, you will make up for that easier acceptance by a much more difficult vetting process. Your USMLE score and research does not compare to your traditional US counterpart when you apply for residency. You need 5-10 points higher on avg, some cases a lot more, and an extra research experience or 2 to be on the same page as him/her. But once you make it into residency, your past sins are forgiven and you are back in the same race as everyone else, where all that matters is which residency you got into.

Because of those stats, I still always advice DO schools over Carib. I rotated with a mix of DO students and US medical students, and have encountered many of both in residency and work, there is zero difference between their intelligence or competence. And I also suggest trying for a 2nd or 3rd year even before accepting Caribbean. In my case, I didn't follow that advice and applied straight to Carib, which saved me 2-3 years, but I think it would have been worth it to forego a year for the guarantees of a traditional med school. But, if you want to become a doctor, and those doors are closed and you have what it takes to make it, then you can still become the doctor you dream of being by going through the Caribbean. The biggest piece of advice is to not consider any school out of the current top 5 or 6. If you can afford SGU, which I did not attend, I do know that it gives you an advantage over the rest but comes with a hefty pricetag (in the order of 400-500k debt during residency). If you go lower than the top 6, you are putting yourself at an unfair disadvantage that is hard to overcome. That said, I do know several Gastroenterologists, Intensivists, and Cardiologists who have graduated from lesser schools. But, they worked for it. Also note that those are all amazing specialties but all derive from internal medicine where you are given more time to make up for your choice of school. If you are in a lesser school, apply for transfer while you can.

Hope this helps someone on the ropes one way or another. The struggle is real, but so is the chance for success. One day, if you keep chiseling, all the hard work will be a distant memory and your Carib struggle will become a badge of honor.

I really enjoyed your post. It was very refreshing. I would consider it an honor if you would allow me to consult with you from time to time.

I am a non traditional student. 506 MCAT. 9 years of experience as a medic in the army. My first attempt at college was a disaster. Started from scratch. My GPA at the new school is ~3.4 to 3.5 got to go back and check but my older grades bring it down to about a 3.0. Applied in state only last cycle. ( trying to stay close to my kids as I won’t be able to take them with me). Interviewed in November at a DO school. I was waitlisted soon after. Just got dropped from the waitlist last week. I intend to apply to several schools this cycle. Considering the Caribbean schools but don’t know very much about them. I work two part time jobs, teach music at a local church once a week. And still drill once a month in the army. I graduate May 5th (this week) BS in chemistry-health science. (Bilingual English 1st Spanish 2nd). Getting ready to reapply, but if it turns out that the Caribbean is my only option I will take it. Your thoughts?

I'd say give the state schools and DO schools at least one more round before applying to the Caribbean, since being close to your kids is understandably a priority. Obviously the GPA is probably the biggest thing holding you back in your state school applications, but take some comfort in knowing one of the big 4 Caribbean schools will probably have no problem accepting you given your extra curriculars and MCAT. Going to a Caribbean school was rough, and I didn't have any kids to worry about, but it got me to a residency I love. Just make sure you'll be alright with missing at least 2 years of your kids' lives.

As someone in my last semester of the basic sciences at one of the “big 4” schools, I can tell you that you should absolutely not consider coming to one of these places. A 50/50 chance of ever getting a job as a doctor after going through all this work is a pretty big risk to take, and if I could go back I would have never come here. This island is a total dump and I have spent the last 2 years of my living out of a suitcase in nothing sort of poverty. There is no warm water, power/internet outages occur constantly, and the level of isolation you experience is hard to describe. The school also goes to great lengths to prevent anyone from taking the step who has any reasonable chance of failing. Mind you, this is people who have made it through the past 5 semesters of work/tuition. It is not worth taking the risk of doing something that will literally ruin your life if you fall victim the predatory nature of one of these so called “medical schools.” For every person with a story like the OP’s, I guaranteee you that there are ~2 others have nothing but debt and 1-4 years of their lives wasted.

Reactions: 2 users
If you applied only locally because you wanted to stay close to your kids, that's completely understandable. Once you decide to apply to the carib, you might as well apply more broadly to DO schools. Either way, you'll be apart from your family or they will need to come with you (and the latter is a poor option in the carib)

Thank you all very much for the feedback. I intend to apply to several more DO schools this cycle. I will also apply to a few schools in the Caribbean. How do the big four fare in the way of residency placement? Other pro’s cons for the big four?

Thank you all very much for the feedback. I intend to apply to several more DO schools this cycle. I will also apply to a few schools in the Caribbean. How do the big four fare in the way of residency placement? Other pro’s cons for the big four?

If by "several" you mean "30-something" then I think it's a good plan.

If you applied only locally because you wanted to stay close to your kids, that's completely understandable. Once you decide to apply to the carib, you might as well apply more broadly to DO schools. Either way, you'll be apart from your family or they will need to come with you (and the latter is a poor option in the carib)

And yet there are many people in my class alone who have dragged their significant others/children down here with them. One of whom has four teenage children. I mean it is one thing to incarcerate yourself on one of these islands, but to subject your loved ones to the conditions here has got to be one of the most selfish things I have ever heard of. I can only imagine how laughable the grade schools down here must be.

I can only imagine how laughable the grade schools down here must be.

Hmmm... why would you automatically assume that? Are you guessing? Or, is that just some ethnocentric colonialism rearing its ugly head?

I work with a physician who was born and raised in Dominica and did 100% of her training here. We laugh at how funny it is that she's from Dominica and went to med school in the U.S., and I'm from the U.S. and went to med school in Dominica.

I suggest you educate yourself in lieu of guessing/assuming. Likewise and as at least one example, Ross (when they re-establish themselves back in Dominica) has a dayschool for children of students. At the very least, it is an interesting educational experience for them that, if nothing else, provides interesting fodder for discussion at subsequent admissions interviews... and may set them apart from other people vying for those competitive college spots.

Food for thought. Check your bias.

-Skip

Reactions: 6 users

That's a number that difficult to describe, because all of the schools go to pretty far lengths to inflate the number as much as possible. I know one of the big four claims a 93(ish) percent residency placement within one year of graduation. By saying "within one year of graduation" they get to include people that didn't match their first attempt. That school also encourages people that don't match on their first try to delay graduation by a year, and use that time to pursue a research fellowship or MBA, and then reapply the next cycle. If they match on their second attempt, the school can still claim they matched into a position at the time of graduation, since their graduation was delayed.

TLDR: You can find numbers for residency placement, but just understand their is a lot more to those seemingly high numbers than meets the eye.

With a decent MCAT score, you should have some luck with DO schools, but apply broadly!

I agree very much with this assessment. I would say - if you worked as hard as you could in undergrad but still couldn't get the grades/scores, then please think twice about going to a Carib school. It won't get easier. But if you are intelligent, a hard worker, and this is what you really want - go for it. I went a few years ago, but myself and all my friends I made there, all got residencies.

I agree very much with this assessment. I would say - if you worked as hard as you could in undergrad but still couldn't get the grades/scores, then please think twice about going to a Carib school. It won't get easier. But if you are intelligent, a hard worker, and this is what you really want - go for it. I went a few years ago, but myself and all my friends I made there, all got residencies.

Let me put it another way...

There are two basic types of struggling undergrad students who dream of becoming a doctor:
  1. Ones who possess the aptitude and ability, but are lazy and/or lack maturity.
  2. Those who work their butts off, but still can't get the grades or scores.
The first group suffers from a motivation/attitude/focus problem. The second from either a fundamental lack of intelligence or the inability to master educational proficiency (i.e. being able to pinpoint crucial information in a lesson, comprehend it, and then reproduce it on demand).

Both groups can make it in medical school. But, those deficiencies need to be identified and corrected. Unfortunately, some of them can't (or won't). You can't teach good judgment; you can develop it. Good judgment envelops all these things.

Bottom line is that, until the handicaps that are keeping strugglers from success are identified and fixed, there's zero reason to believe that going to the Caribbean - no matter where - and magically succeeding will be the outcome.

You've been warned.

-Skip

P.S. If you are both lazy/immature and aptitudinally challenged, just save yourself a lot of heartache and money: the odds of you becoming a physician are slim to none.

Last edited:

Thank you for the information.

I'm heavily debating dropping what I'm doing and finish up my last pre-reqs this year to send out applications to Carribbean medical schools.

My story is quite different though. I'm 30 years old, and make plenty of money in a career that I absolutely despise. I have no debt, and am only saving money and travelling.

I've always wanted to be a physician, but I wasn't in good form as a student in college and subsequently earned a <3.0 gpa in my biochemistry degree. I made the attempt to do a DIY post-bac, but because I had to work and attend school simultaneously, I was only able to get about 24 credits completed albeit at a 3.7 GPA.

Now, years later, I've decided that I really would like to attend medical school and see the Carribbean as being one of my only real options. I have only two pre-req courses to complete, the introductory biology laboratories that my alma mater never offered.

Do you think Carribbean medical schools are still a safe option to consider?

The only other option that I have would be to move to Texas, enact the academic restart, redo about 75 credits and then apply to Texas universities. It's probably a safer option, but would take much longer to complete.