caribbean vet school admission statistics

Started by Rosekiki
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rosekiki

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know anything about that? The schools don't post them. I want to know what kind of students they admit.

thanks!!
 
I forget where I found the info because I researched it last fall, but I read somewhere that the average GPA for Ross was around 3.25 and the average for SGU was around 3.10
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks, you too! I have a cGPA of 3.03, and sGPA of 2.88. I kno... I'm fully aware that I'm not looking really good right now. so I was hoping that if I get straight As in the upcoming school work, maybe I could at least make it into one of the caribbean schools.

or my backup plan is to get a MPH in veterinary public health concentration. does anyone know anybody that did this?

thanks
 
The caribbean schools say that they look at the applicant as a whole rather than just numbers, so having experiences that compliment your application will really help you. Also, I had an interview for Ross and the interviewer directly asked some questions about my grades, in particular a C in biochemistry. So be ready to address your grades and your confidence that you are prepared for the curriculum.
 
thanks, you too! I have a cGPA of 3.03, and sGPA of 2.88. I kno... I'm fully aware that I'm not looking really good right now. so I was hoping that if I get straight As in the upcoming school work, maybe I could at least make it into one of the caribbean schools.

or my backup plan is to get a MPH in veterinary public health concentration. does anyone know anybody that did this?

thanks

I am just finishing up my MPH (with a veterinary public health concentration). My GPA was a bit higher, ~3.3 ish and while I think that doing the MPH program definitely did help me get into vet school, I personally think you should only go that route if you are actually interested in public health...not just as an 'in' to get into vet school. Not saying that you view it like that, but there are a lot of people who do.

That being said, it's not like i solely relied on that when I applied my second time around as I had taken a year off in between application cycles and accumulated more hours and more diverse experiences. I also did really well in the MPH program, and as implied, had a prior interest in the field of public health, which I think I was able to tie-in really well to my desire to go for an MPH in the first place and how that was connected to my goals in vet med.

If you have any further questions about it, feel free to PM me.
 
Does anyone know anything about that? The schools don't post them. I want to know what kind of students they admit.

thanks!!


I can speak about SGU. Average incoming stats do slightly change from class to class, but typically the average incoming GPA at SGU is right around a 3.2 and GRE scores right around a 1075.

As mentioned our review board honestly does take the time to look at your complete application. We look to see how your grades improved over the years. We find a lot of students not getting into a U.S. school had one bad year, often their freshman year, and those grades brought down their overall GPA below a point where a U.S. school would look at the application. But afterwards that person's grades were great.

Unlike a lot of the U.S. schools now, we still interview all of our applicants. We firmly believe that grades shouldn't be the only factor that get you into a DVM program. I find there are some students with a 4.0 GPA that probably should not be working in the veterinary field.

GPA's can also be misleading especially looking at an overall GPA. What classes made up that GPA? What school did you attend? Is a person with a 3.5 GPA who spent all four years at Cornell, the same as a person who went to Monroe Community College for two years, then transferred to SUNY Oneonta for their last two years and also ended up with an overall 3.5 GPA? These are things that need to be considered.

When you look at the top ten list of where SGU's students completed their undergrad, it's amazing how many of them come from top universities in the U.S.
 
for those considering caribbean schools, you might want to check out the these forums--they are much more geared towards caribbean schools. General consensus is that SGU is the way to go. I used to be very pro-Ross, however, based on recent reports from friends and more research, I have changed my tune. SMU is an option too, but they are very very new and have loan issues.
 
wow thank you all SO MUCH! I can't believe how much help I get everytime I visit this forum =) God bless you all!