Caribbean vs. podiatry.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

queenie1

Reaction score
I have applied 2 cycles without A. I am considering Caribbean. I am well educated on the risks, cost, stigma, and where I’ll end up end up (FM,IM, Peds etc.) I’m okay with this. But in my quest to be well informed I also looked into podiatry as it is a specialized field that’s does primary care and Surgery. It very niche which Is cool but also some risks too. I know most people on this forum don’t consider pod and prob not the best place to discuss. It’s just a very difficult decision on what to choose its really up to me where I see myself in 7-10 yr at the end of it. So if anyone has thoughts please lmk!

Members don't see this ad.

I have applied 2 cycles without A. I am considering Caribbean. I am well educated on the risks, cost, stigma, and where I’ll end up end up (FM,IM, Peds etc.) I’m okay with this. But in my quest to be well informed I also looked into podiatry as it is a specialized field that’s does primary care and Surgery. It very niche which Is cool but also some risks too. I know most people on this forum don’t consider pod and prob not the best place to discuss. It’s just a very difficult decision on what to choose its really up to me where I see myself in 7-10 yr at the end of it. So if anyone has thoughts please lmk!
Podiatry is a better and safer option than the Caribbean if you can't get into MD/DO schools.

Reactions: 5 users
Where did you apply previously ? What are your cGPA and sGPA ? What are you MCAT scores ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering/employment with patient contact ? Where is your state of residence ?

Members don't see this ad :)
From someone who has done the Caribbean route and actually just withdrew with passing because of the massive trap and vile system completely set up for students to fail, do the Podietry route. There is a student who did yhe same as I and just got in at a Podietry school starting in the fall...

Reactions: 5 users
Podiatry all the way. Only if you have no regrets. No one wants to be around a pod student who doesn't want to be there. SHADOW A PODIATRIST!

If you are still angling for med, did you previously disclose a WAMC? Did you do an SMP?

Reactions: 1 users
From someone who has done the Caribbean route and actually just withdrew with passing because of the massive trap and vile system completely set up for students to fail, do the Podietry route. There is a student who did yhe same as I and just got in at a Podietry school starting in the fall...
Which podiatry school are you attending in the fall? Also which Caribbean Med school did you go to if you don’t mind? (Or just say the island not the school)

Last edited:
Podiatry all the way. Only if you have no regrets. No one wants to be around a pod student who doesn't want to be there. SHADOW A PODIATRIST!

If you are still angling for med, did you previously disclose a WAMC? Did you do an SMP?
I have shadowed 3 different podiatrist! All were great! I’m non traditional and already have an MPH/MBA degree do not want to consider SMP.

Reactions: 1 user
Which podiatry school are you attending in the fall? Also which Caribbean Med school did you go to if you don’t mind? (Or just say the island not the school)
I am actually pursuing the US route and in the thick of the application process right now. She got accepted to Barry... I went to Antigua (AUA) and I will fight as hard as possible to persuade people not to go there. The situation they have students in right now because they overenrolled online and now people had to come back and they are homeless because not enough housing and internet isn't working properly and there is a list too big for me to type.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
If you're interested in a surgical specialty, doing podiatry seems like a pretty good gig. Caribbean schools have mixed reviews. The percent of people who get into residency programs varies a lot by institution and by personal stats. Podiatry may be a safer option.

For context, during my med school, I went into some podiatry cases in the OR and (1) podiatrists are legit surgeons and (2) they're super nice!

Reactions: 1 users