caribbean????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajitxx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you finished medical school school in the Caribbean, what are the chances of getting residency in the US???

Members don't see this ad.

If you go to one of the well-known, well-established schools, your chances are very, very good. My advice is to stick with St. George's, Ross, AUC, or SABA.

There are too many other factors to consider. All the threads here about people not matching, including those from US schools, should make one realize that chances are not "very, very good".

I agree that you should stick with the more established schools when considering training outside of the US/Canada.. But beyond that, your chances of matching will depend on your USMLE scores, your grades, the field you are trying to match into (Plastics, tough go; primary care, much much easier), your letters, evals, etc.

However, hundreds of people from Carribean schools match into US residencies every year, so it is obviously possible - YOU are the most important element in your chances.

The overall match rate of US IMG's is 50%. As others have mentioned above, there is likely a significant spread amongst the various schools. St Georges and Ross are probably the best regarded. It is key that you do well on your USMLE's if you go this route.

The overall match rate of US IMG's is 50%. As others have mentioned above, there is likely a significant spread amongst the various schools. St Georges and Ross are probably the best regarded. It is key that you do well on your USMLE's if you go this route.

While the overall match rate through the NRMP for USIMGs is around 50%, this does not reflect the true match rate, as about 1/3 of IMGs (citizenship status unknown) who gain a PGY1 (without any prior US PGME) position do so outside the NRMP match. (See my blog post here for the source of the data and its breakdown.)

This, however, should not been seen as a reason to go abroad. US grads, both allopathic and osteopathic fare better in the match than USIMGs.

My husband and I graduated from MUA. Applied to 18 programs, got 14 interview offers and went on 12 of them. Got a prematch offer in FM and took it. We also got our application in late in October.

Depends some on the school and a lot about yourself. We are a sister school to Saba and we have people in some very competitive residencies.

My husband and I graduated from MUA. Applied to 18 programs, got 14 interview offers and went on 12 of them. Got a prematch offer in FM and took it. We also got our application in late in October.

Depends some on the school and a lot about yourself. We are a sister school to Saba and we have people in some very competitive residencies.

congratulations to you and your husband :luck: . And that's exactly the point I was going to communicate to the OP. Many IMGs prematch, and thus are not even the statistic in the match. I also thik that 50% is way too low, but it may be because U.S IMGs are in the mix with true FMGs (foreign nationals) with many visa issues, and no U.S exp. I'm not chearleading for the Carib here, but everyone I know from the Carib school got the residency, if they were realistic about their choices.
Hope it helps.