Carilion EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squad41

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the Carilion EM residency via an official review for the residency sticky or perhaps just throw a couple quick thoughts out there? The carilion website is pretty bare bones for the EM section.

Hours/month?
How are holidays/wkds handled?
12's , 10's, etc?
How is peds exposure handled?
Rotating days/evenings/nights or how is that handled?
who handles trauma airways?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm one of the interns at Carilion. Our schedule is made up of four week blocks, and when in the ED you do 20 ten hour shifts per block as an intern, decreasing by one shift each year. Holidays and weekends are handled like any other day although our PC is good about trying to give you at least one weekend completely off. We don't have a strict circadian progression or anything but usually you will see similar shifts clustered together a bit.

In terms of peds, we have a dedicated peds ED that is staffed from 2pm-midnight by one of our peds EM fellowship trained docs (we have two and they are both awesome), or by one of the "adult" attendings that is more comfortable with kids. You have several dedicated peds ED shifts included in every ED block, and you also see kids with adult patients if you work when the peds ED is not staffed. There is also a month of only the peds ED in second year.

Finally, trauma airways are currently handled by our attendings but next year will be handled by the PGY-2 EM residents (my class!). They have not had anesthesia respond routinely to trauma alerts for several years, so there will be no turf battles when we start handling the airways.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Carilion EM or Roanoke, either here or by PM. Eight months in, I think things are turning out really well for us in the charter class and we're getting great training. We have a ton of sick patients, an awesome group of attendings, and very energetic and responsive leadership. And you get an iPad when you come here :)

Hours/month?
How are holidays/wkds handled?
12's , 10's, etc?
How is peds exposure handled?
Rotating days/evenings/nights or how is that handled?
who handles trauma airways?

Hi, I'm one of the interns at Carilion. Our schedule is made up of four week blocks, and when in the ED you do 20 ten hour shifts per block as an intern, decreasing by one shift each year. Holidays and weekends are handled like any other day although our PC is good about trying to give you at least one weekend completely off. We don't have a strict circadian progression or anything but usually you will see similar shifts clustered together a bit.

In terms of peds, we have a dedicated peds ED that is staffed from 2pm-midnight by one of our peds EM fellowship trained docs (we have two and they are both awesome), or by one of the "adult" attendings that is more comfortable with kids. You have several dedicated peds ED shifts included in every ED block, and you also see kids with adult patients if you work when the peds ED is not staffed. There is also a month of only the peds ED in second year.

Finally, trauma airways are currently handled by our attendings but next year will be handled by the PGY-2 EM residents (my class!). They have not had anesthesia respond routinely to trauma alerts for several years, so there will be no turf battles when we start handling the airways.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Carilion EM or Roanoke, either here or by PM. Eight months in, I think things are turning out really well for us in the charter class and we're getting great training. We have a ton of sick patients, an awesome group of attendings, and very energetic and responsive leadership. And you get an iPad when you come here :)

Thanks Pseudo.

Wook

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious if Carilion has chosen the new PGY2's? I saw on SAEM's Residency Vacancy Service that they are taking an additional 2 residents into their PG2 class.

I'm curious if Carilion has chosen the new PGY2's? I saw on SAEM's Residency Vacancy Service that they are taking an additional 2 residents into their PG2 class.

Nevis:

Carilion has filled one of the two spots available for the PGY-2 (both are new positions as the program expanded from 6 residents to 8 residents per class). They are still looking to fill one spot.

Thanks.

Wook

Pseudo:

Just to clarify...I believe that the number of shifts that the interns do is 19 ten hour shifts or am I mistaken?

Thanks.

Wook