Carle Illinois vs Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainfall9786

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious which of these two schools you would attend/recommend + thoughts

Georgetown
Pros
+ DC, urban environment, nice change from current location
+P/F curriculum
+would be excited to go here
+established medical school
+MedStar hospital finishing renovations during my 3rd year as student
Cons
-tuition
-humidity
-old facilities/lack of sim center
-larger class size = less meaningful contact with faculty for LORs?

Carle Illinois
Pros
+Unique engineering/medicine curriculum (helpful when it comes to matching in residency?)
+smaller class size = more meaningful contact with faculty?
+new facilities, sim center
+Research opportunities
Cons
-new medical school, lack of established residency matches
-not sure how I will respond to PBL
-2nd years haven't taken Step1 yet
-similar cost to Georgetown
-would have to complete online linear algebra class before matriculation

Members don't see this ad.

Curious which of these two schools you would attend/recommend + thoughts

Georgetown
Pros
+ DC, urban environment, nice change from current location
+P/F curriculum
+would be excited to go here
+established medical school
+MedStar hospital finishing renovations during my 3rd year as student
Cons
-tuition
-humidity
-old facilities/lack of sim center
-larger class size = less meaningful contact with faculty for LORs?

Carle Illinois
Pros
+Unique engineering/medicine curriculum (helpful when it comes to matching in residency?)
+smaller class size = more meaningful contact with faculty?
+new facilities, sim center
+Research opportunities
Cons
-new medical school, lack of established residency matches
-not sure how I will respond to PBL
-2nd years haven't taken Step1 yet
-similar cost to Georgetown
-would have to complete online linear algebra class before matriculation
IMO Georgetown will turn heads at residencies. I don’t think that engineering will do much for you (if anything) in terms of matching.

Reactions: 1 user
Could you elaborate on your Georgetown statement?
It's just a well-known school that looks impressive if you can get in. Very established, long history, known to produce quality. It's usually ranked top 40-50 for research. Just a good school. When you tell people you're going to Georgetown, they'll say "Wow! Georgetown, huh?" or something to that effect haha.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's just a well-known school that looks impressive if you can get in. Very established, long history, known to produce quality. It's usually ranked top 40-50 for research. Just a good school. When you tell people you're going to Georgetown, they'll say "Wow! Georgetown, huh?" or something to that effect haha.
Hmmm, I didn’t know that. I know GT is one of the most applied to schools, but I always thought it was kind of a lower tier school due to their avg stats and the fact that almost all WAMC post has GT, making it sound like it’s not that hard to get in (compared to other schools)

Hmmm, I didn’t know that. I know GT is one of the most applied to schools, but I always thought it was kind of a lower tier school due to their avg stats and the fact that almost all WAMC post has GT, making it sound like it’s not that hard to get in (compared to other schools)
I'm really just speaking in comparison with Carle Illinois because it certainly doesn't compare to an ivy league program or UChicago or anything. But in general, Georgetown's programs are considered pretty great, and it is one of the most well-known schools in the country. SDNers tend to rank it lower because of stats, but if you look at any official ranking, it's always high. Besides, anywhere with 13,000 applicants has to be pretty dang selective. I think people theorize that since they have lower stats, maybe they can still get into GT, but I assume that GT just selects the more "mission-fit" students over high stat students. Aka I don't think they are "stat ******" like some of the other schools. For example, my stats are higher than GT's and they were one of my first pre-II R's.

Class size doesn't impact letters of rec too much because most people get their letters during 3rd/4th year while on rotations, not during 1st/2nd year classes because residency programs want to know how you are in a clinical setting. So unless there are more students working with each attending (most schools generally have around the same number of students per team), I don't think class size really impacts ability to get to know attendings.

Reactions: 1 users
Class size doesn't impact letters of rec too much because most people get their letters during 3rd/4th year while on rotations, not during 1st/2nd year classes because residency programs want to know how you are in a clinical setting. So unless there are more students working with each attending (most schools generally have around the same number of students per team), I don't think class size really impacts ability to get to know attendings.
Thank you for the clarification