CARMS- Canadian Final Matching Data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
53% match rate...
That's after these poor souls did their boards, LORs and application to even get to point of applying. On top of 4-6 yrs overseas and 300-400k.
versus CMG match rate in the 90s.

I wouldn't be too excited about this, but you can if you like.

I don't see the list distinguishing Ireland from the rest of Europe.
Also, did only 34 people apply to CaRMS from Australia? Seems low

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea... i was just thinking the same.
If you lump Poland with Ireland it is going to pull the stats down for Ireland.

It is low for Australia historically in terms of numbers applying both to the US and Canada, if you exclude UQ Ochsner the American-Australian program. Right now grads can go for rural internship in Australia and has no board exams as it is a single year of training - exams come later for entry into vocational training pgy3 and up (roughly - not all colleges do this). So, comparatively it's a massive undertaking to get together an app for North America it's almost a measure of dedication. Even though the irony is their CMG and AMG counterparts go through it regularly. So there's selection bias for their match currently. If everyone in Australia were forced to match home the match rate would likely be even lower. Hence my disappointment.

Can't say if you could use this to predict 4-5 years from now. Depending on if internships continue to be available in time of govt pondering oversupply. Anyone can have any opinion they like on this, but I'm always going to say prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Your No.1 schools as a premed is the ones in your home country etc.

The data doesn't differentiate between year of grad either.

Only 18 Canadians from Australia applied and Ireland had 251 participants . I’m assuming a lot of other Canadians likely did end up staying back or matched in USA.

Yes Dom is right there is a bias as its likely that only those Canadians in Australia who thought they had a good overall application applied to CaRMS. If the matching stat is still just slightly above 50%, isn’t that concerning?

18 participants is a surprisingly small number.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes Dom is right there is a bias as its likely that only those Canadians in Australia who thought they had a good overall application applied to CaRMS. If the matching stat is still just slightly above 50%, isn’t that concerning?

18 participants is a surprisingly small number.
There are hundreds of Canadians in Australia and only a handful applied to match back . What we don’t know is exactly how many matched but it seems to be between 50 to 75% based on the data provided.

Those who didn’t get matched could have been because they applied for competitive program and the rest of the missing Canadians who went to Australia could have matched there or USA or perhaps just weren’t ready to apply.
These results are pretty consistent with 2017 results though there were 30++ who applied to match as oppose to 18 this year.

Only 18 Canadians from Australia applied and Ireland had 251 participants . I’m assuming a lot of other Canadians likely did end up staying back or matched in USA.
Where are you getting these numbers from?
Aus definitely has better options to stay if you're not a citizen, but I don't know why people wouldn't at least try to match back

Also, the official statistics say 218 individuals from Ireland participated in CaRMS so you're talking bs

Aus definitely has better options to stay if you're not a citizen, but I don't know why people wouldn't at least try to match back
Considering I graduated with Canadians who did and didnt match back. I can tell you it's exactly what Dolphin said above. The numbers are not surprising.

If the job climate changes and they are no longer able to find positions in Australia then everything would change. (This country does not grandfather in change well by the way. So any premeds intending on coming to Australia - consider appropriate back up)

Also factor in that selection criteria is very low for Australian schools as a whole. Some schools will disregard undergrad grades and accept high school ones. Some have no interviews. Some do not require any entrance exam. whether gamsat or mcat. If you can pay for a degree, you will find a school that will take you.

So, you overestimate how many "motivated" individuals apply to Australia. Like if they didnt take the MCAT because its too much work, they aren't likely going to do board exams to match at home. Some don't even bother with arranging electives at home, reporting those who do are the "keen" ones. The ones with poor work ethic eventually get weeded out, but it won't necessarily be during med school.

The 18 (if the number is accurate) reflects the most determined to return home, as they were willing to go through all that work. So agree - match of 53% is not good. This number could be final yrs matching directly after med school, but it could also include those who are a couple of years out.

It's amazing how "comfortable" or work avoidant people get if not forced to go through the match process and everything with it. The other perspective is better lifestyle and work hours, relatively anyway. No 24hr shifts as an intern or resident - you get these as a registrar (senior resident in North America). Most students struggle to consider anything beyond the intern year. Or they actually get comfortable with how the system works, it's effort to move and "re-learn" another one.

In addition to increasing domestic numbers, this is why there are increasing bottlenecks across multiple years now in Australia. Depending on field.

Also to Bangsar's qs - yea, a few will match in the states. With the new J1 VISA issues, it's going to have it's own issues, which the Irish grads have been discussing in their forum.

Last edited:
Page 45 of report and see the map of Australia .
It’s not easy forking our lots of $ to try to get electives in Canada and for some $ may not be an issue but the timing to apply for the elective is also important . If you don’t apply on time, you are pretty much screwed.
Also know lots of Canadians who prefer to match to USA and almost guaranteed match if your score is good .
I also believe once you got accepted in the US match , you cannot participate in the Canadian one.

Okay...
Bangsar, are you a premed, first or 2nd year? I can't tell completely from your message history, but it doesn't sound like it's beyond the preclinical years based on the content of your posting history.

I also believe once you got accepted in the US match , you cannot participate in the Canadian one.
Other way around. If you participate in both matches, and match in the Canadian one (first iteration comes out before the US match), then you are withdrawn from the US one. US one is after 2nd iteration. It's clearly stated on the CARMS website. It is deliberately done so candidates are not 'gaming' both matches.
Application to the US (ERAS) - CaRMS
Direct quote:
If you are matched to an R-1 position through CaRMS’ first iteration, you will automatically and without any notification be withdrawn from the NRMP.

this was also something very vaguely (and very theoretically) considered for Australia, because it has hurt the internship system without it so far. But there is no capacity to run through the lists of applicants like Canada has.

when you go and quote things that are reflective of official information out there, try to make a bit of an effort to verify and provide evidence when you can. It's very easy to look these things up, so there shouldn't be any barriers for this. Just now, that took me less than a minute to google and find that quote.

Perhaps even take a snap shot of what you're looking at and post the image in the chat box. I mean this kindly and not to be critical. I get that some things have to be anecdotal there will not be data for it, but when there is, make it easier for the readers you're including in discussion.

Otherwise, what happens is other responders will continue to call you out on this and I don't think you're at a capacity to handle it at your level. They probably won't respect what you have to say as much and that's exactly what's happening here. Not to be mean or to be taken as offence by anyone in this thread. But it's to minimize you getting into the deep end of things or getting hurt.

Page 45 of report and see the map of Australia .
It’s not easy forking our lots of $ to try to get electives in Canada and for some $ may not be an issue but the timing to apply for the elective is also important . If you don’t apply on time, you are pretty much screwed.
I'm not sold on this, sorry! Not easy to fork 2k on electives, but it's easy to fork 300-400k on a 4 year degree plus thousands on living expenses, probably airfare to visit family at home? Hmm....

But sure, we can break it down some more.
2k on electives then 10-20k on interviews and applications. Each board exams is another couple grand, and you must fly out for the live clinical ones. If you want something competitive, you have to do research and other things to fill the CV.

Which brings me back to - I'm serious about dedication and commitment required of students intending to match back. It's not a cake walk. And quite simply, not many off-shore grads actually have this when they decide to apply to Australian med school merely because it is 'easy' and for no other reason. Many PDs are onto this, although not all, they have a fair idea of what your motivations are with going off-shore. And if not they will sus it out (I'm quoting from another part of the forums - Set me straight!!!, grain of salt, but you get the idea. Doctors are a pretty critical species)

Reasons to not match back are indeed a reflection of many things, not just because at present time, you can work a rural internship as an international student. Again, no idea what the future holds in another 4-5 years as a disclaimer.

Also, as purely rhetorical question for students. to get you guys to think about (not to be hurtful here). Do you ever ask the ones who attempt to match back why it's worth it? Have you tried doing an elective in the US or Canada, or both? Why is it that it's worth spending this amount, like why are people everywhere doing it? it's not just IMGs, but AMGs & CMGs also spend money on doing subIs or electives around the country.

This is also why some of your classmates (or future classmates) spend a year in advance organizing electives. It's not always going to be that drastic, but sometimes it is. You have to do this with any medical school. By the way, it is possible to do 2 electives and still be in time for matching. So long as you plan ahead. Some electives and SubIs in the US require the Step 1.

Anecdotally, sure you know Canadians who prefer US. I could say there was a mixed bag of Canadians I knew, also anecodotally. Those who wanted the US and those who didn't. And did not take the USMLEs. If you were to go for both countries, it's 5 exams, 5 board exams all twice the length of the MCAT. All before even graduating.

So some Canadians purely focused on going home. This was after some of them did rotations/electives in both the US and Canada. They did not want to practice in the US, for other relevant reasons of families and significant others. Too many board exams. Or it's the fact that it's home and while similar, Canada is not the US... They're not identical countries. As in, if I started telling Canadians that Canada is pretty much the 52nd state of the US, I'm sure I'd get a 100 reasons why it isn't.

Last edited:
Now it is mandatory to do a 1 day assessment on top of the MCCEE, and NAC OSCE to match to UBC - called the Clinical Assessment Program. I've also heard that they may be phasing out the MCCEE and requiring applicants to sit the MCCQE1 which is a much more challenging exam. Another frustrating, expensive and inconvenient hurdle to jump. I am not sure if other provinces will be adding such requirements in the future.

Now it is mandatory to do a 1 day assessment on top of the MCCEE, and NAC OSCE to match to UBC - called the Clinical Assessment Program. I've also heard that they may be phasing out the MCCEE and requiring applicants to sit the MCCQE1 which is a much more challenging exam. Another frustrating, expensive and inconvenient hurdle to jump. I am not sure if other provinces will be adding such requirements in the future.

It has already been done (last tests this year). See the following (sorry, I can't insert links yet):

mcc.ca/news/international-delivery-mccqe-part-i-and-phasing-out-of-mccee/

mccevolution.ca/international-students-graduates/assessment-overview/

Didn't IMGs have to sit the MCCQE1 at some point anyways (after sitting MCCEE)? I am not sure how this change will affect match rates for CaRMS. Seems like a streamlining effort to me.

It has already been done (last tests this year). See the following (sorry, I can't insert links yet):

mcc.ca/news/international-delivery-mccqe-part-i-and-phasing-out-of-mccee/

mccevolution.ca/international-students-graduates/assessment-overview/

Didn't IMGs have to sit the MCCQE1 at some point anyways (after sitting MCCEE)? I am not sure how this change will affect match rates for CaRMS. Seems like a streamlining effort to me.
Clinical Assessment Program | International Medical Graduate Office

It does sound more like streamlining - 4 weeks crammed into a one day thing. That doesn't sound terrible to me unless I'm missing something.

I remember when the NAC OSCE first became a thing. Previously it was the one MCQ exam. Everyone freaked out but their American counterparts have had to sit the Step 2CS for years. Likewise Australia has all IMGs do the AMC written and clinical. I always thought Canada used to be pretty soft compared to other countries, but is now elevating standards of assessment. To the benefit of the communities receiving these residents.

Last edited:
The CAP was not required to match prior to last year. This means that applicants would have to fly back to do a single day assessment late in 4th year in order to be eligible to apply to CaRMS. You have to have the NAC done in order to apply to the CAP so that means two separate flights. Also the MCCQE1 was never a requirement to apply to the match. None of the CMG's sit the exam before matching. It is a harder exam than the EE and as such probably means it is harder to distinguish yourself.

I mean I did all of these things aside from the CAP in order to match, but I can see how people can struggle with all of this. Its such a huge money sink to apply for such few spots that I can see why many decide to stay in australia.

Reactions: 1 users
Getting a statement of need (for J1 visas) is currently a huge issue for Canadians that want to use the USA as a back-up, especially for IM programs. From what I remember, most of the SONs are for FM but there are much more IM residency spots up for grabs in the US. It's even worse for specialties such as radiology.

It's been very disheartening seeing Canadians score a US residency spot only to find out that they can't take it up anyway due to the aforementioned.

Keeping in mind that there are only about 120 Canadians per year here (far more than Americans outside of Ochsner, but only about a third that of the S.E. Asian students), Canadians from Australia have always matched at higher rates than those trained in other countries, which is really the only valid comparison.

Meanwhile, places like Ireland don't take their grads like Australia does -- as far as I understand essentially all those in Ireland have to apply in N. America, while only those here who don't get a job here would need to apply. Overall, I'd say that once again, this is a good result -- most Canadians can stay, and of those who apply to go back home, more get in than those elsewhere. The fact that the odds are stable despite all the tsunami alarmism is IMO a positive result.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Getting a statement of need (for J1 visas) is currently a huge issue for Canadians that want to use the USA as a back-up, especially for IM programs. From what I remember, most of the SONs are for FM but there are much more IM residency spots up for grabs in the US. It's even worse for specialties such as radiology.

It's been very disheartening seeing Canadians score a US residency spot only to find out that they can't take it up anyway due to the aforementioned.
It's been more extensively discussed in the Irish forums.
Confusion Regarding J1/SoN for Canadians pursuing US Residency
Going to US for residency? Coming back for sub-specialty training?
In event of any premeds wondering about this.

I mean.. it's tough.
I think premeds really have to do some soul searching and research prior to going off-shore now.

So many Western countries are entering this flux of oversupply in the competitive specialties that are metro hospital based. Meanwhile there remains that chronic need for more remote and rural practitioners. A country has to protect it's own domestically trained workforce first whether it be at the residency level or the consultant/attending one. We're already feeling this in Australia, and my now-ex classmates practicing in Canada now used to discuss it being a similar issue. For instance, maybe you were trained as a nephrologist, but there's only so many attending positions to go around, junior ones have to practice as a rural IMs for a brief period of time.

The CAP was not required to match prior to last year. This means that applicants would have to fly back to do a single day assessment late in 4th year in order to be eligible to apply to CaRMS. You have to have the NAC done in order to apply to the CAP so that means two separate flights. Also the MCCQE1 was never a requirement to apply to the match. None of the CMG's sit the exam before matching. It is a harder exam than the EE and as such probably means it is harder to distinguish yourself.

I mean I did all of these things aside from the CAP in order to match, but I can see how people can struggle with all of this. Its such a huge money sink to apply for such few spots that I can see why many decide to stay in australia.

To be fair, it's one notoriously hard province that rarely takes IMGs to begin with. Apparently, a place with more stigma than say Ontario - anecdotally from what I get told. to get a rural/remote position is to have done substantially well.

Similar to how tough California is. I've lost track of whether even UQO grads can apply there for residency. I'm sure the current students are more up to speed with this. Your school must be on a list of considered schools to even apply. No tests can be taken.

It is rough that it's now two separate dates for two clinical 'exams'. The CAP & The OSCE.
But it's just one province's requirements.

To me, it reads of one country catching up to other Western ones. They always compare and look at what other countries are doing.
But it also causes me to wonder what happened for them to increasingly change things, standard assessments on those with foreign degrees.
It's long been much harder to say practice in Australia as an IMG (from a non-UK country). The AMC exams have long been a barrier and have limited places for those interested in taking them. So if you miss out, you wait another few months to a year.

Asked around (so anecdotal) re:
QE1 - A minority of grads were already taking both the QE1 and EE to bolster chances in the past, apparently it was recommended for some applications. It's interesting that it's now mandatory.

~~~~~~~~~

Much of this thread has been focused on the hurdles from the grad or student perspective.
Which I can understand, from being a student. I remember being told this. When you're a medical student going through, your primary concerns are your own teaching, learning and the internship.

But when you go into the workforce. [This is just me reflecting, it's not directly responding to anyone in this particular thread.]
This shifts. Patient care, the team you're own and your own work ethics and getting jobs done in time become primary. Keeping the work flow going, keeping up a standard of care. Your own 'teaching and learning' fit where they may at the end of a busy day, much of my own learning is on the job anyway. But in terms of 'thoughts' it couldn't be anymore lower or maybe forms 10% of my consideration over the course of the day. Students are lower down the list too, but no less important, I try to fit their needs below patient care but just above my own.

when this is off balance it's tragically so. I'd worked with IMGs of all different 'work qualities' and levels. Some were amazing - they were my bosses, or co-residents. Others were.. needless to say they are now repeating internship (like the entire thing) or were let go. You couldn't given them unstable patients to look after and you needed to look after their jobs and yours, then look over their shoulders at the jobs they were sorta capable of doing. The hours and workload triples and the team is at threat of burn out. Which in turn compromises care and there's greater frequency of mistakes occurring. In turn, the hospital is less likely to take a chance on further IMGs of a similar background.

In Australia anyway, you could opt for limited supervision if you only passed the AMC written - and while it can be challenging, you try to pass it enough times and you probably will. But it hardly reflects your abilities on the practical level. I've worked with those who can't fluently speak English still pass that exam anyway. Then they're given a chance, they have no way of following-through. It's soul destroying for them too, there's routinely threads on this in the General residency issues forum, but in terms of IMGs that matched in the US. [now I'm probably going to get a bunch of PMs from IMGs asking me about how they can work in Australia..]

I'm now often of two minds looking at standard assessments or hurdles on "IMGs"
It's a still a group that poses a lot of 'unknowns' to any hospital that hires them.

So, I certainly don't blame countries outside of Australia if they require extra assessments of me should I move. As annoying as they are. Having left medical school now and realizing nothing is what I used to think it was.

Again, we talk about internship bottlenecks ignoring how much the rest of the training pathway has already been affected. And how much the government is looking into this now. There's far more applicants for many of the royal colleges and for advanced trainee positions. Maybe you get an internship this year, but you may not end up an attending where you want to later. It's still mainly going to be FM for everyone. Unless you're willing to persistent for years as a rotating resident or unaccredited/PHO trainee.

There's always this balance between the individual and the healthcare system or the good of the community that doctors serve.

Between self-entitlements and what a country actually needs. i don't know that we'll ever get this right. I know there's constant efforts to figure it out. I often worry that particularly off shore premeds (and even medical student) don't consider it enough and their priority is..their own self entitlements or individual 'dreams'. While completely disregarding everything else around them.

As if to say, who cares if the country doesn't need another orthopedic surgeon, or that there's not enough surgeons around to train extra trainees to be of a baseline standard to care for patients. Or that may not be enough attending positions to go around or patients. Or your personality isn't suitable for this, and you end up this very average surgeon (when you could have been an excellent FM or dermatologist - of top of my head). As if it's their god-given right to be an orthopod no matter what the circumstances, just because they want this. We talked about it being PGY5-6 to get into RACS for general surgeon, some orthopedic hopefuls are looking at PGY10 to get into a training program. (not always, but it happens).

Similarly, I think it's noble for premeds to say I'm willing to do rural medicine, but it's just not a field that everyone or just anyone can excel in. It great undervalues what these practitioners do.

But there's a lot of responsibility on public health, and in this context, patient care & community needs take precedent. There's just so much more to medicine than an individual's career aspiration, it's a public service and resource in many countries. It's simply not like many other professions where conceivably if you have ability you can do whatever you want. And completely disregard community or government needs and resources.

Last edited:
Similar to how tough California is. I've lost track of whether even UQO grads can apply there for residency. I'm sure the current students are more up to speed with this. Your school must be on a list of considered schools to even apply. No tests can be taken.
Ochsner peeps report that they are now able to do Cali residency.