Carrib. Grad, Rad Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult would it be for a Carribean grad (St. Georges) to match into a radiology residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Without knowing any more information, I would have to say "extraordinarily difficult." But I'd talk to Dr. Cuts about this one.

What if the carrib. grad had good grades and test scores?

Would it help it the grad did a year or two of research in the field after graduation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at this years match statistics (just released today). Many things have a higher unfill rate than rads (like emergency medicine, anesthesia, even peds). If you want Rads it is there for the taking. Also, my home university often takes FMGs. PGY2 class has 2 out of 5 I think.

NRAI2001 said:
What if the carrib. grad had good grades and test scores?

Would it help it the grad did a year or two of research in the field after graduation?
The answer is the same for rads as it is for virtually all the other competitive residencies.Every year some carrib.grads obtain them.Its much more difficult than a US school but it is done.Yes if you get top scores and do research for a while you will probably land a spot somewhere,possible even with far less than this.anything is possible from a carrib school but its more uphill battle than it would be for a US grad with the same or lower scores.

NRAI2001 said:
How difficult would it be for a Carribean grad (St. Georges) to match into a radiology residency?
id say its difficult but not "extraordinarily". One pal just matched but i dont know where yet. I know she interviewed at brigham and women's. Of course that's anecdotal but in general, its do-able but you have to be very strong.

jhstuck said:
Look at this years match statistics (just released today). Many things have a higher unfill rate than rads (like emergency medicine, anesthesia, even peds). If you want Rads it is there for the taking. Also, my home university often takes FMGs. PGY2 class has 2 out of 5 I think.
i suspect jhstuck, that what happened was that (some) radiology programs got too cocky and didnt make long enough rank lists which is why youre seeing more openings this year that previous years. It think its still a favored field of students. Radonc had 2 openings in spite of programs getting 250 applicants for just 3 seats. I suspect its something of the same. I remember ER did this a few years ago at its peak. I think JHH had something like 7 of 12 spots open. Of course the filled in a second at scramble time. Some programs prefer to do that.

However I think "its there for the taking" is a bit cavalier; its really not a walk in. But i think next year you might see programs with longer rank lists.
steph

ok afterlooking at the unmatch list, i still wouldnt say rads is "there for the taking" but i see your point Jhstuck

stephew said:
ok afterlooking at the unmatch list, i still wouldnt say rads is "there for the taking" but i see your point Jhstuck

Stephew, are u a carrib grad? Does SGUCOM stand for st. georges?

NRAI2001 said:
Stephew, are u a carrib grad? Does SGUCOM stand for st. georges?

Woops, just looked at your profile, seems as though you are. Is radiation oncology a competitive field to get into?

I went on both sets of interviews. Rad onc was extremely competitive at all programs (not many community programs). Radiology community programs are very matchable if you show interest. I found it amusing how radiology applicants and current residents were talking about how competitive this year was. Radiology is clearly not in the top tier of Ophtho, Derm, Rad Onc, Plastics, Neurosurgery, ENT, in terms of competitiveness. I would think it is more equilvalent to general surgery because there are so many available spots. Any specialty where there are an average of two spots per institution is going to be more competitive if people have a desire to do it.

lonestardoc said:
I went on both sets of interviews. Rad onc was extremely competitive at all programs (not many community programs). Radiology community programs are very matchable if you show interest. I found it amusing how radiology applicants and current residents were talking about how competitive this year was. Radiology is clearly not in the top tier of Ophtho, Derm, Rad Onc, Plastics, Neurosurgery, ENT, in terms of competitiveness. I would think it is more equilvalent to general surgery because there are so many available spots. Any specialty where there are an average of two spots per institution is going to be more competitive if people have a desire to do it.

Do community based radiology programs lack in anyway? Is the training equivalent to programs based in larger citys?

well to answer the original question, my sgu pal just matched at brigham and women's radiology.
steph.

Members don't see this ad :)
stephew said:
well to answer the original question, my sgu pal just matched at brigham and women's radiology.
steph.
Make a phone call or three, steph?

;)

I put my 2 cents in most certainly (She's a great doc to be) but about 2 cents I think is what my opinions are worth just yet! She did the rest on her own!

stephew said:
steph.

WOW!!! :eek: :)

Obedeli said:
:) thanks yeah. Im really really happy for her, for brigham (she's as strong a student as can be) and alsof or my husband and I who adore her and her boyfriend and really look forwards to their being here.

-edit: I hear (cant confirm) Radiology at Einstein (X2) from sgu and 1 yale/newhaven for saba.

where is your home university if you don't mind my asking......and are there any openings that you know of?

These matches are very impressive indeed.They go to show how individual achievement and efforts cancarry the day,and how totally irrelevant discussions by premeds about whether or not a school is in the "top 50" or not can be in terms of future opportunities.

stephew said:
:) thanks yeah. Im really really happy for her, for brigham (she's as strong a student as can be) and alsof or my husband and I who adore her and her boyfriend and really look forwards to their being here.

-edit: I hear (cant confirm) Radiology at Einstein (X2) from sgu and 1 yale/newhaven for saba.
correction: not einstein: the two are at albany.
steph

the saba dude who matched at Yale University Radiology was a friend of mine who was in my class... that kid was wicked smaaaaaahhhht...

bigfrank said:
Without knowing any more information, I would have to say "extraordinarily difficult." But I'd talk to Dr. Cuts about this one.

A friend of mine from SGU just matched at University of Utah for Rads, and they are about as anti IMG as they come. So nothing is impossible if you have good scores and LOR's. SGU did very well this year in the match! :love:
Just My $ 0.01.

brendang said:
the saba dude who matched at Yale University Radiology was a friend of mine who was in my class... that kid was wicked smaaaaaahhhht...
and apparently from massachusetts.

Steph (YankeeNation- sorry jenjas).

ny skindoc said:
These matches are very impressive indeed.They go to show how individual achievement and efforts cancarry the day,and how totally irrelevant discussions by premeds about whether or not a school is in the "top 50" or not can be in terms of future opportunities.
well I wouldnt go as far as to say "totally irrelavant", but your point that its not rigid or absolute is well taken.

But at least you'll be out before the job market goes to hell. :laugh:

Dr. Cuts said:
Well back in my day... it was tougher to match rads... and we used to walk 10 miles to residency in 3 feet of snow... and we liked it... we loved it! :mad:

You doggon yungsters nowadays :smuggrin: !

Seriously yes it's tough for caribbean grads to match rads... but if you're a strong applicant from one of the "big 3" carib schools you shouldn't have a problem getting spot -- especially since competitiveness seems to be tapering off. Good luck.

looks like there may be a new kid in town... saba's putting up some very impressive residency spots... nearly everyone i have heard of from my class of 50 or so students nailed IM, OBGYN, Gen Surg, Anesthesia, Rads, Ophtho in University positions... if anyone has any questions about the saba experiance, i'd be happy to answer them...

curious, what university program for rads did your classmate from saba match into?

scootad. said:
curious, what university program for rads did your classmate from saba match into?

One of my best friends went to the caribbean, transferred out after one year to MCP, then matched Ortho at UPMC. Anything is possible :)

scootad. said:

Yale -- New Haven... Not too shabby, eh?

brendang said:
Yale -- New Haven... Not too shabby, eh?

I cant say I'm surprised. During my interview day, there were 4 foreign medical students out of about 10 total interviewees. They love their foreigners at Yale.

i will interject here- i object to the use "big three [5, whatever]
for the offshore schools. I understand its used as short hand but its unually inappropriate and insufficient to answer the questions folks are asking when it comes right down to it (ie which school should i go to? can you get a residency from an offshore school etc). but thats another topic.
steph

samsoccer7 said:
One of my best friends went to the caribbean, transferred out after one year to MCP, then matched Ortho at UPMC. Anything is possible :)
well once yu tranfer out, all things are fairly close to equal. However only between 3-7% on average successfully transfer out of off shore schools these days (this doesnt count people who start year 1 all over again or who repeat at all).
Steph

stephew said:
well once yu tranfer out, all things are fairly close to equal. However only between 3-7% on average successfully transfer out of off shore schools these days (this doesnt count people who start year 1 all over again or who repeat at all).
Steph

Are there higher chances of being able to transfer out if you are willing to repeat a year over?