Carribbean Med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If worst comes to worst I will be applying to Carribbean medical schools, ( I am not saying that Carribbean Med schools are bad, its just I want to go into Opthalmology and its very competitive for FMGs),

What Carribbean schools are the best? I have heard of Ross and St. James. Are they good? Thanks for all responses!

Members don't see this ad.

I think St. James is generally considered the best (my pre-med advisor has placed several students there).

Another school you might consider is the Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara, in Mexico.

I'm not applying to med school until next year, but I know I've had some not-so-great semesters. So I'm looking at other options too. But for ophthalmology, I think you're better off staying in the U.S. if you can. What's an extra year or two to get into the specialty you want? But as far as Caribbean schools go, the "big three," SGU, AUC, and Ross have been the most successful. I believe Ross got more placements than any other school anywhere last year, but a lot of their students flunk out and their class size is huge. You will know you're in a third world country. But academically, they're totally legit and have a good track record. SGU is probably the most respected, but keep in mind that the Caribbean isn't the U.S. and you may have trouble adapting. Important things to keep in mind are (1) is the school well established--a couples of years = not well established (2) does the school have US clinicals (3) is the school respected in the United States (4) are the USMLE pass rates solid (5) are you ready to live in a third-world country (6) how good are there matchlists? Here's SGU's impressive match list for 2004:

http://www.sgu.edu/nhome.nsf/webcontent/78ACA4C6CBA8513885256E6A0079D86C?OpenDocument

I also suggest doing some research on www.valuemd.com for info on foreign med schools. The three I mentioned are your best bet because they are well established. Other schools like SABA are working hard to reach the same level, but they aren't quite there yet. I wouldn't take a chance on a school that isn't firmly established..otherwise you might end up with license issues, poor clinical training, etc. I hope that helps and good luck with your goal to be an ophthalmologist :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Trekkie963 said:
I think St. James is generally considered the best (my pre-med advisor has placed several students there).

Another school you might consider is the Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara, in Mexico.

Now that I see the last post, I think it's St. George that is generally considered the best and where my advisor has successfully placed some students before. Whoops.

pnp366 said:
If worst comes to worst I will be applying to Carribbean medical schools, ( I am not saying that Carribbean Med schools are bad, its just I want to go into Opthalmology and its very competitive for FMGs),

What Carribbean schools are the best? I have heard of Ross and St. James. Are they good? Thanks for all responses!

Have you thought about applying to osteopathic programs? This way you get to remain in the U.S. AND have a better chance with getting into your "dream" specialty. :)

Pnp, I would forget about going opthamology if you go the Caribbean route. That will most likely not happen. However, there are many DO opthamologists out there and you would have a better chance by going the DO route. One reason is that you would have the option of applying to DO opthamology residencies in addition to the MD optho ones.

Thanks....I will definately check out these possibilities

I just got back from working in a hospital in Belize for 3 months and while i was there i got a chance to check out the medical schools there. Almost everyone enrolled was from the US and i must say that I was shocked at how bad it sucked. The facilities were worse than bad..... and the students had no social skills. So as for the hospitals in Belize.... i would say try somewhere else. There is a reason why no one from Belize is actually enrolled there.

Here's a list of DO opthalmology residency programs you would have exclusive rights to, in addition to MD programs:

Detroit Osteopathic Opthalmology Consortium - Pontiac, MI
Doctor's Hospital North - Columbus, OH
Genesys Regional Medical Center - Grand Blanc, MI
Grandview Hospital and Medical Center - Dayton, OH
Metropolitan Hospital - Grand Rapids, MI
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Philadelphia, PA
St James Hospital and Health Center - Olympia Fields, IL
St Johns Episcopal Hospital South Shore - Far Rockaway, NY
Tulsa Regional Medical Center - Tulsa, OK

yeah i was about to say that i think DO students have a much better shot at gaining optho residencies than carib kids.

Yeah dont go offshore if you want to do Ophtho. Its virtually impossible. Apparenlty you'll have to score 260+ on your step 1's to have a fair shot. Go the DO route.

So, since most DO's schools want a letter or rec from practicing DOs what do I do about that? I mean I would love to stay in the US. not matter what.

So shadow a DO for a few days... most will be more than happy to write you a letter.

pnp366 said:
So, since most DO's schools want a letter or rec from practicing DOs what do I do about that? I mean I would love to stay in the US. not matter what.
I would say about half the DO schools absolutely require a DO letter. Others say an MD letter is fine in place of it. You will have to check with that particular DO school to see. If you really need one, just track down a local DO, shadow him for awhile, and ask for a letter. This is what most DO applicants do and DOs seem fine to give them one.

The best schools in the caribbean are St. George's, Ross, AUC, and Saba.
As for opthalmology, it would be very hard to get it if u go to a caribbean school. Chances are better if u go to a DO school. But the decision is upto you. I have had 2 interviews this appication cycle at 1 MD and 1 DO school but got rejected because of my below avg MCAT.

So, therefore, I am going to Saba University school of medicine because I m not interested in one of the most competitive fields like opthalmology. Caribbean schools would be fine to attend if u don;t plan on going to very competitive fields.

Best of Luck!

Ask DrCuts on this forum who got a Radiology residency as a graduate of a Carribean school and Stephew who is a Chief resident at Johns Hopkins and a graduate of SGU as well as the OBGYN professor at University of Vermont who graduated from SGU and they will all tell you that your best bet is SGU in Grenada.

I think the main reason is the excellent facilities and professors in Grenada many of whom are permanent faculty as well as the connections with hospitals and residency programs in New York they have developed over 25 years. SGU is accredited for licensing graduates in all 50 US states unlike some other schools. It is hella expensive though.

;)

rimon7381 said:
The best schools in the caribbean are St. George's, Ross, AUC, and Saba.
As for opthalmology, it would be very hard to get it if u go to a caribbean school. Chances are better if u go to a DO school. But the decision is upto you. I have had 2 interviews this appication cycle at 1 MD and 1 DO school but got rejected because of my below avg MCAT.

So, therefore, I am going to Saba University school of medicine because I m not interested in one of the most competitive fields like opthalmology. Caribbean schools would be fine to attend if u don;t plan on going to very competitive fields.

Best of Luck!

Congrats to you! hopefully you and i will be soon practicing medicine in the US soon!

Also thanks for replying everyone....great advice...at least better than my advisors!

My friend just got accepted into Ross Med and another wants to go to Ross Med for this fall. Both wants to do orthopedics or plastic surgery residencies. Also one of my friend thinks that if he spends one year at ross while applying to medical school in the US will not make him lose a year of idelness. How likely is it to land orthopedics or plastic surgery coming from Ross Medical School? :eek: :confused:

I have another question for those that attend carribbean schools.

how do you travel? is it really expensive

Raptor said:
My friend just got accepted into Ross Med and another wants to go to Ross Med for this fall. Both wants to do orthopedics or plastic surgery residencies. Also one of my friend thinks that if he spends one year at ross while applying to medical school in the US will not make him lose a year of idelness. How likely is it to land orthopedics or plastic surgery coming from Ross Medical School? :eek: :confused:

I don't know about plastics but several students get into orthopedics from Ross every year.

For Ortho i would say you should go to a DO school hands down over an offshore school. There are a lot of DO ortho slots in addition to the MD slots. Its much much easier from a US school.

i have an interview with a rep from ross med :confused: in about one week. i was just wondering if anyone knew what to expect. i was told it would be approximately an hr and a half. thanks for the info.