CARS- Should I keep practicing

Started by pre-spring
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pre-spring

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, so I need advice regarding practicing for CARS. I already took the MCAT last June and got a 510 and my CARS score was a 128. I´m scheduled to take the MCAT on April 13th or so. My question is whether I should even practice CARS at this point. I have been doing some CARS practice for the past couple of weeks and my CARS score is basically arrested at 128 or 129 depending on the test. I work full time and can only study about 3 hours a day, and practicing for CARS takes about an hour a day. At this point I have still have quite a bit of content to go through and I´m doing about 30 Uworld problems and reviewing them everyday. Just doing the Uworld and CARS problems is taking up all my time and I am not able to do any content. So I was wondering whether I should just give up on doing CARS everyday and maybe just do it twice or thrice a week instead and focus on the other areas I can to improve?This is because at this point I am not sure that even if I practice everyday for the next month I´ll be able to get higher than a 129 on CARS and if I can I would rather spend this time on the other subject areas to improve as much as I can.
 
CARS is very difficult to improve in, and you are in a good spot. I would say you can focus on the other sections, where discrete knowledge can yield more points and content is more predictable. Don’t completely neglect it, but 128/129 is a good score. If your other subsections are lower, work on those.

If you are aiming for a top 20 program, it may be worth putting in the effort to aim for 130-131 CARS. But if you want to get into any US MD, your CARS score is in a good spot. Your current MCAT score is already competitive for US DO programs.

Do 1-2 CARS passages daily and take 2-3 times a week to deep dive into it.
 
Last edited: