case log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaos

Web Crawler
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was all ready to celebrate today for logging 200 cases this year, about to add 2 more to the 198 I already had, when I noticed that when I logged on to the site, I was back down to 150!! WTH?!? Is the ACGME changing the categories of some cases so that they no longer count as majors? Has anybody else had this problem???

Members don't see this ad.

i find this logging of cases more a tedious time-suck than a measure of my surgical success. there are not enough categories to fit the subtleties of what i have learned, and in which cases this has occured.

i can log a case as "surg jr" and feel it was a wasted breast case. and i can do a carotid dissection with the fellow who does the anastamosis when the attending enters the case. and never log it. i have on other occasions done the carotid anastamoses with an attending and logged them, but these partial cases i do not.

or do part of a complex case (i.e. half a BP anastamosis) that never gets logged since the case was an EVAR and i just did 1/2 the bypass part of the surgery for access. obviously i'm on vascular right now, but this happens on every service. i do the gastrotomy closure, bowel resection, and the closure, but don't do the complex biliary anastamosis (long story, repair of endo injury) and again do not log.

i feel these are my most learning cases. and it seems silly that these don't count.

so i hold little faith in these machinations. these measurements. therefore, the number doesn't count. i "have" 200 cases in 2 years. in reality i had 200 cases in my intern year, but i could care less about logging lines, procedures, or partial surgeries.

anyways, just a rant from a tired resident. i understand the need for a log, but it's a very imperfect logging system. which makes me not want to use it.

I was all ready to celebrate today for logging 200 cases this year, about to add 2 more to the 198 I already had, when I noticed that when I logged on to the site, I was back down to 150!! WTH?!? Is the ACGME changing the categories of some cases so that they no longer count as majors? Has anybody else had this problem???

You can use the search function to see how each case was logged. Also, how many of those are colonoscopies? I think they stop counting toward your total number after you reach the threshold.

200 is a lot of "major" cases for an intern. Props.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you get a biliary injury during an EVAR??

Whew! I logged in today and it's back to 200. How odd. It must have been a glitch in the system. I can't believe that I almost lost all those cases!

Yeah, I've been logging a lot of cases. On elective rotations all I did was operate. That still doesn't mean that I know how to fully do a lap chole competently.

how do you get a biliary injury during an EVAR??

endoscopy - endo = endoscopy. apologies, bad transition from vascular to GI.

it makes sense to me.... my mind is currently fractured....

200 majors. It's being reported as back down to 145 again today on the site. +pissed+

Be sure when you fill out the defined category report search screen, that for the "credit" field you select "Primary" and not "All". That can account for the difference. Also you can now also sort by "resident role"- be sure to have "surgeon junior" selected. Your total "majors" can change quite a bit by just selecting different combinations of these fields.