Case report during rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

devilwearsprada

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be doing a Pulmonary/CCU sub-I (away rotation to be precise) at a place I really want and I plan to make the most of the rotation by writing a case report hopefully.
I need some advice so I can be more efficient during the short and intense time.
How do I find unusual cases and is it ok to ask a faculty/resident for help?
Who or what are the best resources for information related to this?
Thanks!
 
I'm not sure that making the most of a rotation is synonymous with doing a case report, but to answer your question I would say that it's best to know your pulmonary/critical care material well, because the better you know it, the more patients you will get to see, and the higher chance of seeing an unusual patient to do a case report on. I saw a case when I was on medicine during which the resident commented on an unusual feature and said something like: I thought that patients with this risk factor usually get this other disease, not the one the patient actually had. I did some reading on it voluntarily and then gave a mini-presentation a couple of days later and the resident asked me if I was interested in doing a case report. It was actually not my intent, I was just very curious about the case, but that's one way it can happen.