Case report during rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devilwearsprada

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be doing a Pulmonary/CCU sub-I (away rotation to be precise) at a place I really want and I plan to make the most of the rotation by writing a case report hopefully.
I need some advice so I can be more efficient during the short and intense time.
How do I find unusual cases and is it ok to ask a faculty/resident for help?
Who or what are the best resources for information related to this?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure that making the most of a rotation is synonymous with doing a case report, but to answer your question I would say that it's best to know your pulmonary/critical care material well, because the better you know it, the more patients you will get to see, and the higher chance of seeing an unusual patient to do a case report on. I saw a case when I was on medicine during which the resident commented on an unusual feature and said something like: I thought that patients with this risk factor usually get this other disease, not the one the patient actually had. I did some reading on it voluntarily and then gave a mini-presentation a couple of days later and the resident asked me if I was interested in doing a case report. It was actually not my intent, I was just very curious about the case, but that's one way it can happen.