Publishing a Clinical Case Report as an Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am currently a undergraduate student in an accelerated medical program in the northeast. I really want to get involved in research, specifically clinical research. How would I secure clinical research opportunities and potentially publish case reports? I know people who have published clinical case reports as undergraduates by working under a physician, but I have no idea how to get started. Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. I am currently a undergraduate student in an accelerated medical program in the northeast. I really want to get involved in research, specifically clinical research. How would I secure clinical research opportunities and potentially publish case reports? I know people who have published clinical case reports as undergraduates by working under a physician, but I have no idea how to get started. Any help would be appreciated!
My advice is to identify a specialization or an area of research you are interested in, then look through the faculty website of your school and look through the publications of faculty that do research that sounds interesting. Look through their pubmed and see how many papers they have published in the last 2 years. If they seem active (it varies but if they are publishing 5+ in clinical research it means they are active and the more generally speaking the more active they are), and you think they are interesting, send them an email. Don't expect a response, but cold emailing works, you just need to be willing to try. I remember when I was in a similar program to you, I cold emailed hundreds of researchers, got a few interviews and landed a research position for the summer.