case report question conduct

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyohomieg5432

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in a certain field and recently met with the residency director in that field. They encouraged me to try to get a case report or 2 under my belt to try and strengthen my application if I were to apply in that field as an M4 (current M3).

The thing is, I haven't come across any cases yet while in the hospital. The director also said I could email the doctors i had been doign some shadowing with and ask if they have any cases. I've never heard of that though. Is it weird/come off as odd if I email the doc I had been shadowing and ask if they've come across any cases that would be good to write up? I don't want to come off as a mooch/beggar but at the same time if they said yes it could be an easy way to find a case.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it weird/come off as odd if I email the doc I had been shadowing and ask if they've come across any cases that would be good to write up? I don't want to come off as a mooch/beggar but at the same time if they said yes it could be an easy way to find a case.

Does your school have a collection of physicians who want to help students with research? Does the department you're interested in have a research head? If no to those, then yes, ask the doc. I've written a couple of case reports for a MD who has multiple medical students write for him every year. We get first author, he gets multiple publications. It's a win/win.

Don't think of it as begging. You're helping him out.