Should I be shilling out a few case reports?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathNeuroIMorFM

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to take a research year with some quality output of many posters and manuscripts of varying authorship in subjects of my interest (peep the username). But this led me to being a huge snob about case reports and I turned down the opportunity to do a few them in lieu of full manuscripts. I hate how my peers churn them out at such a high rate, but maybe I'm just jealous. A few of my friends churned out 3 in a single week!

After getting some rotations under my belt, I decided that I'm fully committing to a specific specialty that I have less research in. Just have a 3rd and 5th auth manuscripts. I am promised by my awesome PI at a first auth later down the line when I have more time - the project is all mapped out and good to go, it's just a bench work thing that is a bit much of a commitment to do during rotations.

So SDNers, should I be shilling a few case reports to demonstrate interest in the specialty, especially since it values applicants with genuine interest so much? Or should I just rest on the laurels of my other output?

In case it isn't obvious, yes, I am interested in a high-output academic program.

Members don't see this ad.

Your question basically translates to: should I have more money in the bank? May not need it, but it’s pretty nice when you have it

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your question basically translates to: should I have more money in the bank? May not need it, but it’s pretty nice when you have it
Yeah, but considering case reports are kind of a joke compared to real manuscripts (or so I'm told), I'm just wondering if I should even exert the effort on them. Like if you have a thousand bucks, what's an extra $10?

If you’re aiming for top path programs, it would definitely be beneficial even if it just means showing interest and that it’s not a backup

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, but considering case reports are kind of a joke compared to real manuscripts (or so I'm told), I'm just wondering if I should even exert the effort on them. Like if you have a thousand bucks, what's an extra $10?
@voxveritatisetlucis gave you the eloquent response already, so I’ll give you another one from spending too much time with old country folks. If you keep stacking $10 bills, you can have another thousand bucks. Small steps won’t hurt, may help.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. Try to title them such that they aren’t obviously case reports. Not all journals let you get away with this, but if they do then be a bit creative with your titles. Most people aren’t going to check each line in your CV and everything typically gets out under publications. And extra 4-5 pubs never hurt anyone! Plus with AI now it’s even faster to churn one out.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes. Try to title them such that they aren’t obviously case reports. Not all journals let you get away with this, but if they do then be a bit creative with your titles. Most people aren’t going to check each line in your CV and everything typically gets out under publications. And extra 4-5 pubs never hurt anyone! Plus with AI now it’s even faster to churn one out.

I’ve found that it’s pretty bad for research. Uses words and style that just doesn’t fit.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Ha. Case reports.

As long as you recognize you are essentially writing the equivalent of “National Enquirer” and are pandering to the rubes in “academics” who believe it…

1692414520803.gif

I mean, it could be worse. I’ve had colleagues write opinion pieces about their feelings in high impact journals. It almost made me throw up in my mouth. Fortunately… I never read them.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
If you're not aiming to be a physician-scientist (hell even if you are), then you gotta play the game. So yes - case reports tend to be easier than basic or translational science manuscripts but in the med school arms race it tends to be quantity over quality.

If you're not aiming to be a physician-scientist (hell even if you are), then you gotta play the game. So yes - case reports tend to be easier than basic or translational science manuscripts but in the med school arms race it tends to be quantity over quality.
This is incredibly true, much beyond the trainee period.

As a senior person once wisely said to me, “SurfingDoc… medical school promotion committees can’t read, they can only count”

If you’ve ever seen a promotion committee, that’s like straight up fortune cookie sh-t. A literal board made up of Rain Man.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Yes. All research has different levels of evidence. While case reports are at the lower end… it’s still evidence and still worth something. You can be pickier later, but as a medical student, I would take every opportunity that presents. It won’t hurt you.

Reactions: 3 users