Case Report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Az1698

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, a case report is a review of an already published case/ or a unique situation. Is this correct? is there a format to be followed? Is it hard to do? i have zero research/publication experience so forgive me if this is an ignorant question.

For those who have published case reports, I was just wondering what the typical turn around time is for having a case report published after submission (i.e. the length of time it takes from having it written to having it published in a journal, or at least in press). Thanks!

Also, what is the value of a case report for residencies and such?

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand it, a case report is a review of an already published case/ or a unique situation. Is this correct? is there a format to be followed? Is it hard to do? i have zero research/publication experience so forgive me if this is an ignorant question.

For those who have published case reports, I was just wondering what the typical turn around time is for having a case report published after submission (i.e. the length of time it takes from having it written to having it published in a journal, or at least in press). Thanks!

Also, what is the value of a case report for residencies and such?

A case report is usually a write up of an unusual and interesting medical case that talks about why the case is important for individuals in the field to know about. A literature review is usually a summary of the collective research in the field to date. Lit reviews are usually written by experienced researchers in a field - many journals will only take reviews from individuals they have invited to write one. Any peer-reviewed publication looks good, but since they are relatively easy to produce a case report isn't as impressive as original research.

However, as a 3rd or 4th year med student, it is relatively easy to do a case report. Turn around time can be as quick as 6 months from submission to publication (I had one that was accepted and in press 3 months after submission). Also possible to do as a 1st or 2nd year. If you're not done with undergrad it will probably be very hard to do a case report because a) you don't see patients, and b) you don't have the medical vocabulary to write one yet.

Can't you do a case report as a 2nd author?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone?

Last edited:
What is the work that a 2nd author would have to do?

Is there any value or significance in being a 2nd author? I understand that 1st author is the main thing, but is there a benefit for being a 2nd author?

Anyone know the answer to my last question?

not a heck of a lot, but it's better than nothing.

Do you have any suggestions on how I should approach someone to find out if they are interested in doing a case report, w/ me as a second author. I am going to be a undergrad, so I need advice. I really want to get my feet wet with medical research, just looking for tips on to how I should do it.

Has this been helpful?

Last edited:
I got it, thanks for your help.

How many publications does a "normal" med school applicant have by residency time?

Sorry if I sound stupid, but what's a PI and how do you get opportunities in labs in undergrad? Do you just show up to a teacher/lab or what? I want to start research Freshman year, so I would like to know this.

You need to take a breath and relax. You will get to undergrad and start to figure some of this stuff out. And if your interested in doing research as an undergrad, it will likely be bench work NOT medical case reports (you simply don't have the medical background to do help write up a case report)

But, most of all R....E...L....A.....X, read some good books before undergrad, some science/nonscience, go out and enjoy your lack of responsibilities

You need to take a breath and relax. You will get to undergrad and start to figure some of this stuff out. And if your interested in doing research as an undergrad, it will likely be bench work NOT medical case reports (you simply don't have the medical background to do help write up a case report)

But, most of all R....E...L....A.....X, read some good books before undergrad, some science/nonscience, go out and enjoy your lack of responsibilities

Haha, thanks, but no thanks. I've been offered a ton of research opportunities:
2 case reports
1 major clinical testing of a medical condition

I will be 2nd author in case reports and a author on the clinical testing.