Case Reports?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedpremed12345

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one specifically look for opportunities to do case reports?

Members don't see this ad.

Find a physician in the field you are most interested in, cozy up to them and ask if you can write any case reports for them. Obviously be professional about it, but it isn't too terribly complicated. Finding a physician is probably the hardest part. It is easier if you have a faculty member at your school who can connect you to other physicians so you don't have to make the connections yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Ask residents! Half of the time they are the ones that are leading the case reports or research projects and the attending just monitors and signs off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most journals (at least in my field) don't publish case reports anymore. You may want to ask about "research opportunities" instead and see what they say.

Reactions: 1 user
Email residents and attendings - most projects could always use a helping hand.

I find case reports to be time consuming and worth almost nothing on CVs. Time is better spent working on projects utilizing higher levels of evidence. Retrospective studies are done fairly quickly if you're able to join a group with databases already set up.

I find case reports to be time consuming and worth almost nothing on CVs. Time is better spent working on projects utilizing higher levels of evidence. Retrospective studies are done fairly quickly if you're able to join a group with databases already set up.
Is that really true though? I feel like many residencies just don't care about pubs at all. And the ones that do want to see both quality *and* quantity. You can only have quantity by publishing random crap (in something that's in pubmed of course). And that's because the competition will have high quality stuff but also have a high sheer number of pubs.