case v. louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siistipoika

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to each, but would like some ideas on which to choose.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Without taking money into consideration, which would you choose?

Members don't see this ad :)
Aside from money, Case is much better. Better facilities, smaller class size, better budget, better sports (LeBron James), more prestige.

Still think Louisville.

Class size is about the same as Case, facility is about the same, both programs are strong clinically, both in midwest. Case is more popular school overall, and a lot of people speak highly of their program, but dental education is going to be pretty much the same wherever you go.

Choose the program which you will feel most comfortable in.

Ok I have summarized my argument for Case:
1. you start clinical treatment the first day (how cool is that! it makes you feel like you are in fact attending a dental school as opposed to getting that feeling 2 years down the road)
2. You get real life practice with the multi-million dollar dentsim machines

But on the negative side you probably don't get that southern hospitality at Case that you would otherwise at Louisville.

Speaking from experience, Dentsim is WAYYYYYY over-rated. If that's your deciding factor on why you're coming here opposed to somewhere else, you may be disappointed. Most of us have just tried to complete the Dentsim course as quickly as possible so we don't have to mess with it anymore. Once you pick up a real handpiece and use it, you realize how annoying Dentsim really is. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of other positive things about Case, I love it here - but I see so many interviewees/applicants rave over it and it's really not that cool.

it's official Dentsim sucks!

Well sucks or doesn't Dentsim is here to say more schools are buying them UCLA recently ordered a whole bunch and soon they'll be the norm of every school

Ok I have summarized my argument for Case:
1. you start clinical treatment the first day (how cool is that! it makes you feel like you are in fact attending a dental school as opposed to getting that feeling 2 years down the road)
2. You get real life practice with the multi-million dollar dentsim machines

But on the negative side you probably don't get that southern hospitality at Case that you would otherwise at Louisville.

actually they're like 70 grand, i think Case got them for 68 tho

Well sucks or doesn't Dentsim is here to say more schools are buying them UCLA recently ordered a whole bunch and soon they'll be the norm of every school
It's a tragedy, but you're probably right. These things are the biggest waste of tuition since the invention of PBL.

It's a tragedy, but you're probably right. These things are the biggest waste of tuition since the invention of PBL.

im starting to come to that opinion too.:(

why don't u like the pbl?

I'd pick Louisville since they have Pitino even though they just lost to my school in the NCAA tournament.

Definitely Case....Louisville's Dean situation is up in the air and is affecting the quality and direction of the education. Louisville's a nice town, but Case is the far superior dental school

Hmmmm.....Lake effect snow vs. Louisville football, basketball, Kentucky Derby. Except for tuition increases, I'm pretty happy at Louisville, but that's all I know. I have not attended other dental schools. I did interview at Case right after my Louisville interview. I must say I was quite unimpressed with Case. Everyone seemed extremely uptight. Just not the right setting for my personality.