Case vs. ASDOH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legacybush

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tuition is similar but otherwise ASDOH has pass/fail, clinical rotations, and is in an overall better location. Case has the new building and IPE but is in a cold climate half the year with a high crime rate.

Both schools have a small class size of about 75 each.

Members don't see this ad.

If tuition is pretty similar, of course the school location and safe living environment play a pivotal role affecting your decision. You would have to consider if you like to live there for the next 4 years and even longer time during your study and practice.

Reactions: 1 user
If tuition is pretty similar, of course the school location and safe living environment play a pivotal role affecting your decision. You would have to consider if you like to live there for the next 4 years and even longer time during your study and practice.
The problem is that Case is only a couple of hours away from family while ASDOH is on the opposite side of the country..

The problem is that Case is only a couple of hours away from family while ASDOH is on the opposite side of the country..
Hey! I dont know if this will help but I had to make a choice between Touro, Case, and UDM. In the end I chose UDM because I am from Michigan so it would be closer to home.

Members don't see this ad :)
In fact, different people have different thoughts about this dilemma. I have two classmates faced the same issue as yours this cycle, they chose a warm and safer city to study eventually. In addition, they wanted to live in a new world and challenge themselves. However, I also learned some people like to choose a place close to their homes. I think that maybe you need to compare two cities in depth so that you can make a better decision.

As someone who lives close to Case (20 minutes) and frequently visits Mesa, AZ, both cities have different "personalities." Mesa is definitely a cool city, with beautiful weather; it does get super hot there in the summer months, but it is sunny pretty much all the time. The people in Mesa are super friendly too, from my experiences there. I am not sure about the housing situation/expenses there. Cleveland is great too, despite the horrible/cold weather, there are some fun things to do! Case is not necessarily near the safest area of Cleveland (there is some crime for sure), but you don't have to live alone. You can find a roommate and walk to class together/drive because decent off-campus housing is not too far away! Housing is not too expensive in Cleveland either. Also, Cases new facility is more secure than it used to be and the students/faculty that I have met there are awesome!

I know Case uses actual grades for both hand skills and class, which could be favorable or unfavorable depending on whether you want to specialize.

Anyways, best of luck on your decision! Take everything said on SDN with a grain of salt and choose the school that will make you happy/most comfortable in the end!

Last edited:
As someone who lives close to Case (20 minutes) and frequently visits Mesa, AZ, both cities have different "personalities." Mesa is definitely a cool city, with beautiful weather; it does get super hot there in the summer months, but it is sunny pretty much all the time. The people in Mesa are super friendly too, from my experiences there. I am not sure about the housing situation/expenses there. Cleveland is great too, despite the horrible/cold weather, there are some fun things to do! Case is not necessarily near the safest area of Cleveland (there is some crime for sure), but you don't have to live alone. You can find a roommate and walk to class together/drive because decent off-campus housing is not too far away! Housing is not too expensive in Cleveland either. Also, Cases new facility is more secure than it used to be and the students/faculty that I have met there are awesome!

I know Case uses actual grades for both hand skills and class, which could be favorable or unfavorable depending on whether you want to specialize.

Anyways, best of luck on your decision! Take everything said on SDN with a grain of salt and choose the school that will make you happy/most comfortable in the end!
I appreciate your detailed reply but can you mention a few fun things to do while in Cleveland? I don’t really know too much about the area besides nice parks and the rock and roll hall of fame

Cleveland has Lake Erie (definitely don't recommend swimming in it) but there's nice picnic areas/a "beach" area where you can hang out/have barbecues and relax when its warmer out with friends. Theres Edgewater Park - super fun in the summer because they hold outdoor music nights with drinks and amazing food by the water! Case is also right next to Little Italy, which is a smaller neighborhood with amazing Italian restaurants & it's beautiful to walk around and explore! Little Italy has some festivals and events that they hold that are super fun to go in the summer as well (not sure if they will still be held this year because of the virus, but eventually when this is all over). We have the Cleveland Museum of Art which has some beautiful exhibits (its free to enter) if you are interested in art!

Unfortunately, the winters can get a little boring because you can't do much outside. But if you are interested in skiing/snowboarding, we have a few locations to do that! Theres also an ice rink that gets put in during the holidays near Case if you are interested in that as well.

If you have any other questions about Cleveland and/or my experiences with Mesa, AZ, feel free to ask! I would be more than happy to answer any other questions!! Best of luck!

I interviewed at Case quite a long time ago, and I thought the area where students generally lived was pretty safe. Unfortunately I never got a chance to visit their new building because they didn't finished it until I matriculated lol. It's a good school and if you want to be close to your family then I would go there. I have classmates that go home almost every weekend who are from PA.

Don't know much about ASDOH, but there is a lot more to explore in Arizona and states around it. One of my friends explored Antelope Canyons and Lake Tahoe during winter break and the scenes were unbelievable. I don't think you can go wrong with either, best of luck!