Case vs Einstein vs UNC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yejamin7

LM: 73.9 WARS: 81
Reaction score
I'm super fortunate that I have the opportunity to choose between schools at all. When I started this cycle I had no expectation of even getting in to more than one but here we are, and now I gotta choose. (This decision became a lot harder with the addition of einstein to the mix as of yesterday morning)

Case Western:
Pros:
  1. Went to Case undergrad so I know the area really well and know some people going to the school
  2. The admin really cares about students
  3. Students seem to really enjoy their lives
  4. The opportunities for shadowing and research are plentiful
  5. Diverse patient population to work with
  6. Great match list historically
Cons:
  1. Really expensive (I'm fortunate enough that with aid my family may be able to scrounge together enough for me to not need loans but still)
  2. Cleveland can be an acquired taste
  3. Not sure I vibe with the people
Einstein:
Pros:
  1. Free (need I say more)
  2. Subsidized housing
  3. People also seem to really enjoy their time there
  4. I really vibe with their mission (I am passionate about reducing health disparities, especially in urban areas)
  5. Great Research
  6. New York City is awesome
Cons:
  1. "Less prestigious" than schools like UNC or Case (though the degree to which that matters is debatable)
  2. I dont really know anyone at Einstein or in NY for that matter
  3. I know significantly less about the school compared to the other two just because of my proximity to UNC and CWRU
  4. LCME Probation (not sure about how this will affect match going forward)
UNC:
Pros:
  1. I'm from NC so I get in-state tuition
  2. Fantastic reputation as an institution
  3. Great match list historically
  4. I'm from the area so i would know people
  5. Great weather
  6. Chapel hill is a great place to live
Cons:
  1. More of a primary care focus than the other two (I'm not really set on any path at the moment, but having the option to pursue a more unique specialty if desired would still be cool)
  2. Current students seem to have gripes with the mandated attendance policy and the admins responsiveness to student feedback
  3. Lived most of my life in NC so the opportunity to live somewhere else would be cool

Members don't see this ad.

Don't really have an opinion, but wanted to say that Einstein also got added to the mix for me, given their free tuition (insane!!). But to the prestige comment about Einstein and the bigger umbrella of Montefiore, as a person from NY, Einstein is very well known in NY and the surrounding metro. And if you had any thought on matching to a residency in NY or the area around, Einstein is a no brainer.

Are finances important to you (at all)? If so, I think your decision is clear. If proximity to your friends/family is very significant, I would take that into consideration as well. To be frank - I do not think perceived "prestige" should play a role in your decision making, but there is no difference in reputation among these schools in academic medicine, they are all strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm super fortunate that I have the opportunity to choose between schools at all. When I started this cycle I had no expectation of even getting in to more than one but here we are, and now I gotta choose. (This decision became a lot harder with the addition of einstein to the mix as of yesterday morning)

Case Western:
Pros:
  1. Went to Case undergrad so I know the area really well and know some people going to the school
  2. The admin really cares about students
  3. Students seem to really enjoy their lives
  4. The opportunities for shadowing and research are plentiful
  5. Diverse patient population to work with
  6. Great match list historically
Cons:
  1. Really expensive (I'm fortunate enough that with aid my family may be able to scrounge together enough for me to not need loans but still)
  2. Cleveland can be an acquired taste
  3. Not sure I vibe with the people
Einstein:
Pros:
  1. Free (need I say more)
  2. Subsidized housing
  3. People also seem to really enjoy their time there
  4. I really vibe with their mission (I am passionate about reducing health disparities, especially in urban areas)
  5. Great Research
  6. New York City is awesome
Cons:
  1. "Less prestigious" than schools like UNC or Case (though the degree to which that matters is debatable)
  2. I dont really know anyone at Einstein or in NY for that matter
  3. I know significantly less about the school compared to the other two just because of my proximity to UNC and CWRU
  4. LCME Probation (not sure about how this will affect match going forward)
UNC:
Pros:
  1. I'm from NC so I get in-state tuition
  2. Fantastic reputation as an institution
  3. Great match list historically
  4. I'm from the area so i would know people
  5. Great weather
  6. Chapel hill is a great place to live
Cons:
  1. More of a primary care focus than the other two (I'm not really set on any path at the moment, but having the option to pursue a more unique specialty if desired would still be cool)
  2. Current students seem to have gripes with the mandated attendance policy and the admins responsiveness to student feedback
  3. Lived most of my life in NC so the opportunity to live somewhere else would be cool
If money isn’t an issue, then pick where you want to go the most. All are good schools and you get to where you want from any. Case is the most prestigious probably if you wanted something competitive, but not like the others can’t get you there either

Reactions: 1 user