Case vs. Nova vs. UDM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Changedude21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

So I was lucky enough to get accepted at 3 schools this year. This was my third time applying, so I am just happy to know that I will be a dentist one day. However, I would like your help to decide on which school to choose.

I am leaning towards Case right now. I think UDM is my last choice because everyone says Case is the best school and they are almost the same price and same type of city/weather/location. I know Nova would be the best location/weather out of the three, but I have heard bad things about their clinic (students not finishing requirements on time and paying extra year of tuition). Has this changed at all? Also, I know Case is part PBL, but I don't think it is a huge part (just some in the first year). Also, Case is P/F right?

So, which school should I choose and why?

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the four year CoA for each?

The schools are not lecom, howard, or meharry….flip a coin.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone so far. I know they are all good schools, but I just wanted some additional advice. According to the mini guide that doc toothache posted, UDM is like 325K, case is 350k, and nova is 375k. According to the school websites, the cost of just tuition/fees/books/instruments is about 280k for udm, 290k for case, and 275k for nova. So CoA is pretty much the same.

So which school is the best though? Everyone (including dentists) I have asked says that case is the best school. However, Nova would obviously be the best location (but should that really matter?). I am just worried about nova's reputation with their clinic. Does anyone know how the clinic currently is? Are currents students having trouble completing requirements? Thanks!

personally, i would skew to the cheaper end of that spectrum. it also helps that clinics at case and udm haven't been subject to negative chatter on sdn (depending on how much you value that).

every one of the upperclassmen i spoke to at case stood by the strength of their training. one of the D4s said his clinical requirements were mostly finished prior to starting his 4th year, they will be building a new facility that you should be able to enjoy in your third year, they have the heavy hitter post-grad programs so you can get exposure to specialty faculty, a robust research program, and cleveland won't present a shortage of patients.

during my visit to udm i was impressed by their facilities, the accessibility of their faculty, the number (and variety) of procedures you'd perform as a student, and the overall "personality" of the program. they just felt slightly warmer than other places i visited.

i'm on continued review at case and declined my acceptance to udm...that was a difficult play to call.

Case>UDM>Nova - do you live by any of the schools? They are all private schools - 400k will be the final avg cost. I think I remember you said you were from Virginia - if this is the case I would be deciding on NOVA - great weather.

Case is a great school. I think this might be the better choice, but everybody has their own criteria