Case Western Metro vs Case Western UH

Started by OBGirlie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OBGirlie

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know what the big difference is between these two programs? Any additional info on UH or metro is appreciated!
 
I'm a third year med student at Case, and I'm interested in going into OB/GYN, so this is a question I've thought about a fair amount as far as scheduling rotations goes. I'm about to start my OB/GYN rotation at Metro, mostly because rumor has it that you get more hands-on experience there. I'd be happy to PM you once I know more what it is like there.

Based on my minimal knowledge (mostly rumors and stories from fourth years), UH is stronger in gyn-onc, while Metro is stronger in MFM. UH's patient population is more likely to be insured than Metro's, but you'll also see private patients at CCF through the Metro program. I get the feeling that Metro/CCF is better respected academically, but I don't know if that's true. If you have any specific questions you think I could help with, feel free to PM me.
 
The short answer is that there isn't a big difference between the two. Both are in Cleveland and associated with CWRU. They are of similar size. Both provide ample opportunity for procedural experience, and both have good track records of placing people into fellowships. The residents from both programs are friendly and seem happy (at least for OBGYN residents), and the call schedule for the two programs is similar.

As I see it, the differences are as follows:

1. Fellowships: The two programs actually share gynonc fellows. Additionally, Metro/CCF has MFM and urogyn fellows. UH has no other fellows, though they are applying for an REI fellowship.

2. Hospitals: At the UH program, all non-electives are set up at MacDonald house on the UH campus. For Metro/CCF, you go to Metro, the Cleveland Clinic, and Hillcrest hospitals. Hillcrest and Metro are 30-45 minuites apart, and CCF is pretty much in the middle of those two, but I wouldn't recommend living adjacent to CCF.

3. Electives: UH has a couple months of elective time available for things like international medicine, medical spanish, etc. Metro/CCF schedules all your rotations - there's no elective time.

4. Diversity of patient population: Both programs have diversity, but Metro/CCF probably has more. Metro is a county hospital located near what is really the only hispanic neighborhood in Cleveland. You'll also get plenty of white/black folk at Metro and a few asians/middle eastern. At CCF you'll probably see more rich, suburban folk than you will at Metro, and Hillcrest is located out in the 'burbs.

5. Bells and whistles: CCF is one of the most prestigious hospitals in the country and has all the newest stuff. Their surgical training facility was pretty impressive.

I think both programs are great - you really can't go wrong with either. As far as choosing, I think that depends on what you plan to do. If you'll be a generalist, I rate both programs equally. If you plan to pursue a surgical fellowship, I would rate Metro/CCF over UH. If you plan to pursue any other fellowships, I don't think it matters which you choose.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The short answer is that there isn't a big difference between the two. Both are in Cleveland and associated with CWRU. They are of similar size. Both provide ample opportunity for procedural experience, and both have good track records of placing people into fellowships. The residents from both programs are friendly and seem happy (at least for OBGYN residents), and the call schedule for the two programs is similar.

As I see it, the differences are as follows:

1. Fellowships: The two programs actually share gynonc fellows. Additionally, Metro/CCF has MFM and urogyn fellows. UH has no other fellows, though they are applying for an REI fellowship.

2. Hospitals: At the UH program, all non-electives are set up at MacDonald house on the UH campus. For Metro/CCF, you go to Metro, the Cleveland Clinic, and Hillcrest hospitals. Hillcrest and Metro are 30-45 minuites apart, and CCF is pretty much in the middle of those two, but I wouldn't recommend living adjacent to CCF.

3. Electives: UH has a couple months of elective time available for things like international medicine, medical spanish, etc. Metro/CCF schedules all your rotations - there's no elective time.

4. Diversity of patient population: Both programs have diversity, but Metro/CCF probably has more. Metro is a county hospital located near what is really the only hispanic neighborhood in Cleveland. You'll also get plenty of white/black folk at Metro and a few asians/middle eastern. At CCF you'll probably see more rich, suburban folk than you will at Metro, and Hillcrest is located out in the 'burbs.

5. Bells and whistles: CCF is one of the most prestigious hospitals in the country and has all the newest stuff. Their surgical training facility was pretty impressive.

I think both programs are great - you really can't go wrong with either. As far as choosing, I think that depends on what you plan to do. If you'll be a generalist, I rate both programs equally. If you plan to pursue a surgical fellowship, I would rate Metro/CCF over UH. If you plan to pursue any other fellowships, I don't think it matters which you choose.

UH is the second program that I heard about starting up a REI fellowship. . . how long does it take for that process to become a reality. I'm interested in REI, but I don't know how to take it when PDs say they are "starting a REI fellowship". . .

Thanks for the comments. I am interviewing at UH, so its good to know that both places are solid. I do like that elective option b/c I could use it to go rotate elsewhere and brush up on some spanish!
 
UH is the second program that I heard about starting up a REI fellowship. . . how long does it take for that process to become a reality. I'm interested in REI, but I don't know how to take it when PDs say they are "starting a REI fellowship". . .

Thanks for the comments. I am interviewing at UH, so its good to know that both places are solid. I do like that elective option b/c I could use it to go rotate elsewhere and brush up on some spanish!

I would not use that as part of your decision making. Unless something is already is in place you have no guarantee it will happen before you graduate. It's not that the PD is trying to mislead you it's just that those kind of processes are inherently lengthy and there are few guaranteed timelines.
 
I agree with chrisisinnocent. Not only is the approval process lengthly, but it's definitely not a sure thing. The Society for REI controls how many fellowship spots there will be each year, and it's not in their best interest to flood the market.