Cash Balance Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

agammaglobulin

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To enroll, or not to enroll, that is the question.

I'm a member of a physician owned group that is considering starting a Cash Balance Plan. I am in my early 30s, starting a family, saving for a house in a HCOL area. I would ideally like to have the cash on hand as I plan to have a lot of expenses in the coming years, however, seeing the financial benefit of reducing taxable income by putting away large amounts of money pre-tax (about 50K at my age, more as you get older up to 150k/yr). My concerns is not having access to this and the opportunity cost as Cash Balance Plans typically are lower returns (4-5%) than a 401K or non-tax advantage account. Yes, I am already contributing the max amount to 401(k) and backdoor roth ira.

Thoughts/advice are much appreciated.
 
To enroll, or not to enroll, that is the question.

I'm a member of a physician owned group that is considering starting a Cash Balance Plan. I am in my early 30s, starting a family, saving for a house in a HCOL area. I would ideally like to have the cash on hand as I plan to have a lot of expenses in the coming years, however, seeing the financial benefit of reducing taxable income by putting away large amounts of money pre-tax (about 50K at my age, more as you get older up to 150k/yr). My concerns is not having access to this and the opportunity cost as Cash Balance Plans typically are lower returns (4-5%) than a 401K or non-tax advantage account. Yes, I am already contributing the max amount to 401(k) and backdoor roth ira.

Thoughts/advice are much appreciated.
There's also questions about what happens to the money if you leave the practice prior to retiring - as far as I know, some require the money be paid out immediately, as a lump sum, at your marginal tax rate that year. Others let you pro-rate it out over N years.

I don't know enough about cash balance plans to say what the odds are yours has some terms that you wouldn't like in that situation, but it's something I'd take a hard look at if there was any chance I wasn't staying at that practice until I was 60 years old.
 
To enroll, or not to enroll, that is the question.

I'm a member of a physician owned group that is considering starting a Cash Balance Plan. I am in my early 30s, starting a family, saving for a house in a HCOL area. I would ideally like to have the cash on hand as I plan to have a lot of expenses in the coming years, however, seeing the financial benefit of reducing taxable income by putting away large amounts of money pre-tax (about 50K at my age, more as you get older up to 150k/yr). My concerns is not having access to this and the opportunity cost as Cash Balance Plans typically are lower returns (4-5%) than a 401K or non-tax advantage account. Yes, I am already contributing the max amount to 401(k) and backdoor roth ira.

Thoughts/advice are much appreciated.

My 8 doc EM small democratic group started a CBP earlier this year. We researched it for about a year, and I’d be happy to discuss. From my standpoint it’s a great deal. Instead of having the $55k pretax from just the 401k we now can put ~$100k pretax between the two. Out marginal tax rates were 40-45% so putting an extra $50k/year each saved us a considerable amount in taxes since almost half of those last $50k were going to taxes.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile