CASPer Scenario #3 - Empathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

response_method

Full Member
Vendor
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

Here's another CASPer scenario based on the latest test format. Please reply with your own responses if you'd like an idea of how to create stronger responses:

A close friend tells you they didn't get into the program they were hoping for and seems very upset.
  1. Do you think it's better to give your friend space to process this on their own, or to check in even if they haven't asked you to? Explain your reasoning.
  2. Briefly describe a time when you supported someone through a disappointment.
Try timing yourself with 3 mins 30 seconds total for both questions and see how you get on. I'll reply later with how I'd approach these questions, along with some tips on how to build a strong response.

Best wishes, Helena
 
Last edited:
This is the first practice CASPer question I have answered! Let me know how I did and where I can improve
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. I can see why this is a tough decision. You want to be there for your friend but you aren't sure if they want comfort or space.

I would ask them what they need and offer comfort if they want it and space if they need it. Based on their response I would oblige and check back in at a later time. If they asked for space I would agree and tell them that if they change their mind that I am here for them and they can come whenever they are ready.

This is important because it doesn't force an option on them and they have control in the situation. Everyone deals with sadness differently and it is important to respect their boundaries. By opening the door for future comfort you cover all your bases so they have the ability to change their mind or become ready.


2. I have supported my sister through moments of disappointment. I remember when she didn't get the position she wanted in JROTC. I was shocked and she was really sad and disappointed in herself. I know my sister very well and I knew that she needed space. I gave her some words of reassurance as I left the room and emphasized she could talk to me about it when she was ready, which she did eventually do. I ended up talking to her about how she felt and listened to her and validated her disappointment. Once she was finished I started working to lift her spirits a little bit and talk about ways she can try again and come back stronger. I reminder her of her strength and resilience. This is important because it allows her to be heard and get her feelings out and then I come in to cheer her up a bit rather than the other way around which doesn't give time to deal with the emotion and it would be harder to cheer her up. Feelings are meant to be felt.
 
Hi, great responses!

Quick context first - CASPer questions come in a few types, and each wants a different shape of answer. Q1 is "Situational" (what would you do?) so it's about validating perspectives, explaining your action, and tying it to reasoning. Q2 is "Reflective" (what did you feel and learn?) so it's less about narrating events and more about looking inward - what you felt, what it showed you about yourself, what you'd carry forward.

Q1 - this is a strong response - you've got the shape right. You considered what your friend actually needs rather than assuming, laid out a plan for checking in vs giving space, and tied it back to respecting their autonomy. That's the core of a good situational answer. Where it could go further is to add another action if you have time (the middle part).

Q2 - this one reads more like a second situational answer than a reflective one. You've described the situation well - what happened, how you noticed she needed space, how you supported her once she was ready - but most of it is "here's what happened and here's what I did for her." A reflective question wants you to turn that inward: what did YOU feel in that moment, what did navigating it show you about how you support people, and what would you take into a similar situation next time? Your closing line ("feelings are meant to be felt") is a nice instinct but reads more like a general belief than something you personally learned - see if you can turn it into a "this taught me..." style takeaway drawn from your own experience.

Very solid first go overall!
 
Last edited: