Catagorical/Advance and Prelim at Same Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SD3321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have not been able to find anything on this topic. I'm applying for Anesthesia, my main goal is categorical. However I've come across many programs that offer both categorical/advance, categorical or advance only. I understand that if its advance only, applying the prelim medicine would make sense at the same program.

1) My questions are if I'm applying to both the categorical and advance positions at a program, can I still apply to the prelim medicine as well?

2) Also would it still be OK if the program had only categorical Anesthesia and I wanted to apply to the preliminary medicine in case I matched advance somewhere else?

Members don't see this ad.

Have not been able to find anything on this topic. I'm applying for Anesthesia, my main goal is categorical. However I've come across many programs that offer both categorical/advance, categorical or advance only. I understand that if its advance only, applying the prelim medicine would make sense at the same program.

1) My questions are if I'm applying to both the categorical and advance positions at a program, can I still apply to the prelim medicine as well?

2) Also would it still be OK if the program had only categorical Anesthesia and I wanted to apply to the preliminary medicine in case I matched advance somewhere else?

1. Yes, you can. For each advanced program, you'll be submitting a supplemental rank order list detailing your preferences for preliminary positions.

2. That's perfectly fine.

Generally the prelim year is the same interview. I don't know why you'd want to do those prelim years though, the ones I know about are tough

Generally the prelim year is the same interview. I don't know why you'd want to do those prelim years though, the ones I know about are tough

I went to a few programs where my radiology interview and my IM interviews were on separate days. But for the most part, yeah, they're usually done on the same day.

And to echo Psai, prelims at academic programs are usually tougher. A couple of reasons why one might consider doing a prelim at the same place as their advanced spot are 1) no need to move multiple times and 2) knowing the hospital system well prior to starting your advanced residency.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes and yes. You rank the programs such that you won't match at a prelim medicine program instead of categorical anesthesia unless the categoricals didn't like you.

Please change your status from Pre-Med.

Moving to ERAS/NRMP forum

So if we apply to advanced at an institution, do we also need to apply for prelim there too (if we wish to do our prelim there)? ie. do we need to check off both boxes?

So if we apply to advanced at an institution, do we also need to apply for prelim there too (if we wish to do our prelim there)? ie. do we need to check off both boxes?

Yes you'll need to apply to both programs as they are different. A lot of institutions offer both prelim surgery and internal medicine so you'll need to pick which you are applying to (if either).