Dual applying, same institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

painballer27

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that PDs and coordinators talk, but how much of a risk is it in reality to apply to two fairly unrelated specialties at the same institution? I get that there could be a risk but I don't really see PDs sitting down and comparing lists of applicants...

Members don't see this ad.

You are likely correct, probably not gonna get caught. Of course, it is a risk and it's a bad look if you do get caught.

I'm not sure what else you'd like us to say. Whether you should or should not do this depends on your desire to match at a specific location, the relative strength of your application to each specialty, and your risk tolerance.

Reactions: 1 user
PD's are not going to randomly sit down and review candidates.

But the issue usually is that there's evidence of interest in the two fields on your application. Research projects, 4th year rotations, subI's, interest groups, etc. When I see that, I might reach out to the other program to see if you've applied to both. What we do in that case depends upon the situation.

Reactions: 1 user