Categorical Rads List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cspine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Wow, there really aren't that many categorical programs in DR huh? Also looking at the midwest, I appreicate you sharing these lists!

Wow, there really aren't that many categorical programs in DR huh? Also looking at the midwest, I appreicate you sharing these lists!
Unfortunately there aren't many, but I have a wife and kids so staying in one spot is kind of important. I'm sure there is more than what's on my list, but those were the ones I found and might consider later on.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So if we apply to these Rads programs, do we also need to apply to their TY/Prelim as well? or are we automatically matched into their TY/Prelim if we match at Rads program, even without applying?

So if we apply to these Rads programs, do we also need to apply to their TY/Prelim as well? or are we automatically matched into their TY/Prelim if we match at Rads program, even without applying?
If you're applying/ranking Categorical programs, the PGY1 year is included. No other application/ranking necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're applying/ranking Categorical programs, the PGY1 year is included. No other application/ranking necessary.
Is there any harm in still applying to the prelim/TY year programs there too? Or is that just a waste of money at that point?

Thanks

Is there any harm in still applying to the prelim/TY year programs there too? Or is that just a waste of money at that point?

Thanks
You can apply to the prelim/TY and then rank that prelim/TY for other advanced programs.

For example, say Mayo AZ has a categorical DR program and it offers prelim/TY. You also applied to University of Arizona's advanced DR program. While you can't rank the Mayo AZ prelim/TY alongside the Mayo AZ categorical DR program, you can rank the Mayo AZ prelim/TY when you rank the University of Arizona advanced DR program. This way you can maximize your chances of staying in Arizona for all 5 years of residency.

You can apply to the prelim/TY and then rank that prelim/TY for other advanced programs.

For example, say Mayo AZ has a categorical DR program and it offers prelim/TY. You also applied to University of Arizona's advanced DR program. While you can't rank the Mayo AZ prelim/TY alongside the Mayo AZ categorical DR program, you can rank the Mayo AZ prelim/TY when you rank the University of Arizona advanced DR program. This way you can maximize your chances of staying in Arizona for all 5 years of residency.
Thanks for the clarification! I was afraid it meant that if you applied Mayo's categorical, you couldn't apply for the prelim + advanced. Thanks for the clarification! But no thanks for all the extra $$$ to be spent! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the clarification! I was afraid it meant that if you applied Mayo's categorical, you couldn't apply for the prelim + advanced. Thanks for the clarification! But no thanks for all the extra $$$ to be spent! :)
When you're submitting rank lists...you have a primary rank list and supplemental lists.

1) On your primary rank list, you'll include your preference of categorical and advanced programs.
2) For each advanced program, you get an option to include a supplemental list for PGY1 positions.
3) You can have a unique supplemental list for each advanced program.
4) You cannot include a supplemental list for categorical programs, since the preliminary year is already included.
5) The match algorithm will first go through your primary rank list. If you match to a categorical program, the algorithm will stop. If you match to an advanced program, the algorithm will go to the corresponding supplemental/PGY1 list and try to match you with a PGY1 year. There can be instances (rare, but can happen) where you match into an advanced position, but you'll have to SOAP into a PGY1 year.

Reactions: 5 users
When you're submitting rank lists...you have a primary rank list and supplemental lists.

1) On your primary rank list, you'll include your preference of categorical and advanced programs.
2) For each advanced program, you get an option to include a supplemental list for PGY1 positions.
4) You cannot include a supplemental list for categorical programs, since the preliminary year is already included.
5) The match algorithm will first go through your primary rank list. If you match to a categorical program, the algorithm will stop. If you match to an advanced program, the algorithm will go to the corresponding supplemental/PGY1 list and try to match you with a PGY1 year. There can be instances (rare, but can happen) where you match into an advanced position, but you'll have to SOAP into a PGY1 year.
Thank you for the clarification!

Reactions: 1 user

Hi I had a concern and would really appreciate your advice. I have a few advanced programs and some categorical ones I interviewed at but only 1 prelim. I am concerned if I rank the prelim with an advanced as my top rank followed by the categorical programs next, what will happen if I don’t match the advanced program I ranked but match the prelim. I don’t want to risk losing the categorical programs. Any advice would be appreciated

The statements quoted about Mayo AZ's TY program are incorrect.

All 11 of Mayo AZ TY spots are attached to specific residency programs at Mayo AZ (being a component of the categorical programs in those residencies). This is spelled out on their website. See the 2nd paragraph on Qualifications: "There is no separate admission process for the Transitional Year Residency."

TY Residency @ Mayo AZ

So, for radiology, Mayo AZ currently has 4 total positions--2 are categorical and 2 are advanced. If you wanted to go to Mayo AZ, you would rank both, in whatever order you prefer. They have separate NRMP codes (one will end in "C", the other ends in "A").

You can't go to Mayo AZ for the TY program and then go somewhere else for an advanced residency. You can't rank the Mayo AZ TY program as a prelim in the supplemental match for their advanced radiology program. There is no match code for Mayo AZ TY spots, you won't find one. All of the 11 spots are automatically assigned to the categorical programs they support, so are bundled with those programs.

Last edited: