CBD Oil

Started by PlutoBoy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlutoBoy

Sic transit gloria mundi
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a lot of patients ask me about this. What are your thoughts on this? Do you encourage its use or frown on it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have a few patients that have told me that they use it. It could be helpful to them, but the personality type that gravitates to it is usually skeptical to traditional medicine and readily believes what alternative treatments tout. Belief is a very strong thing and a big factor in the efficacy of anything we do. Like most things controversial, there is a lot of marketing touting it's miraculous medicinal purposes. I'm neither for or against it personally, but I've never recommended it primarily since it's still not 100% above board.
 
Have a few patients that have told me that they use it. It could be helpful to them, but the personality type that gravitates to it is usually skeptical to traditional medicine and readily believes what alternative treatments tout. Belief is a very strong thing and a big factor in the efficacy of anything we do. Like most things controversial, there is a lot of marketing touting it's miraculous medicinal purposes. I'm neither for or against it personally, but I've never recommended it primarily since it's still not 100% above board.

I think we are doing things similarly. What I tell my patients is that it is still controlled at the federal level and that it is not a substitute for the medications that the patient is already taking (ie, we don’t recommend CBD for HTN).
 
I think we are doing things similarly. What I tell my patients is that it is still controlled at the federal level and that it is not a substitute for the medications that the patient is already taking (ie, we don’t recommend CBD for HTN).

It's getting more common in Miami, due to aggressive marketing. I'm fine with it, since the people who use it tend to say that it helps (and therefore they don't feel the need to ask for benzos or narcotics).
 
Placebo's are the most evidence based medication out there and it stands to reason that the best Placebo is the one the patient chooses and believes in themselves.
Medicinal cannabis is hitting the UK to the indifference of the medical profession.

The legal position of cannabis for the last few years has been that possession has been punished by a fine less than a parking ticket unless the policeman's pen has run out or he can't spell your name in which case it gets thrown down the closest drain.
 
If people are using it and it's helping, great. I'm not seeing harm from it. They tend to get it from chiropractors around me. Curious to see how it is helpful long term since it's just coming on the scene. BUT, it's not a treatment I'm recommending for anyone when reviewing treatment options.
 
The legal position of cannabis [in Canada] for the last few years has been that possession has been punished by a fine less than a parking ticket unless the policeman's pen has run out or he can't spell your name in which case it gets thrown down the closest drain.

So, it's illegal in Canada, too. Good to know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I tell them that I have no experience with it, since it's still illegal at the Federal level.

https://www.americanbar.org/content...zine/v31/CJ_v031n04_Reinhart.authcheckdam.pdf

I wasn't aware all CBD was illegal. The DEA directive issued in May 2018 seems to indicate it is not as long as it is hemp-derived.

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/...internal_directive_cannabinoids_05222018.html

Products and materials that are made from the cannabis plant and which fall outside the CSA definition of marijuana (such as sterilized seeds, oil or cake made from the seeds, and mature stalks) are not controlled under the CSA. Such products may accordingly be sold and otherwise distributed throughout the United States without restriction under the CSA or its implementing regulations. The mere presence of cannabinoids is not itself dispositive as to whether a substance is within the scope of the CSA; the dispositive question is whether the substance falls within the CSA definition of marijuana.

When you guys say CBD oil, are you specifically referring to marijuana-derived?

Edit: Just wanting to clarify so I don't give anyone incorrect information. I actually don't think it's useful outside of a few specific indications (I haven't read up on it in a while though).
 
Last edited:
If you're going to prescribe it, you'd better know.
CBD Oil: All the Rage, But Is It Safe & Effective?

I'm from a state where it's been legal for quite some time now so I haven't thought about it, but Ik everyone in my family has used it and purchased it legally, so that's where my *thinking* comes from - also, i'm years away from prescribing just yet - it'll be a very different landscape when I am
 
CBD oil from hemp is not illegal. you also do not rx it.
Any oil from marijuana is the grey area as it contains more THC. This is rx'ed in states that allow it.

If I don't have to Rx it, I don't have to have an opinion about it (e.g., OTC hemp oil). Like any other supplement, I'll give the usual spiel about unproven efficacy and untested potency/purity and leave it at that.
 
If I don't have to Rx it, I don't have to have an opinion about it (e.g., OTC hemp oil). Like any other supplement, I'll give the usual spiel about unproven efficacy and untested potency/purity and leave it at that.

Are there opportunities that you know of off the top of your head to expose physicians to more knowledge about certain supplements/able to take part in clinical trials/etc?
 
Are there opportunities that you know of off the top of your head to expose physicians to more knowledge about certain supplements/able to take part in clinical trials/etc?

I think most of us are busy enough with real medicine.
 
If I don't have to Rx it, I don't have to have an opinion about it (e.g., OTC hemp oil). Like any other supplement, I'll give the usual spiel about unproven efficacy and untested potency/purity and leave it at that.

Yeah the whole point of this thread is about discussing OTC CBD oil. Maybe I should have made that clear.
 
Are there opportunities that you know of off the top of your head to expose physicians to more knowledge about certain supplements/able to take part in clinical trials/etc?

I often use the Natural Medicine Database when researching alternative/integrative therapies. Welcome to the Natural Medicines Research Collaboration

It's pretty comprehensive and is quick and easy to understand. Lots of info on drug interactions as well.
 
I often use the Natural Medicine Database when researching alternative/integrative therapies. Welcome to the Natural Medicines Research Collaboration

It's pretty comprehensive and is quick and easy to understand. Lots of info on drug interactions as well.

Thank you! Glad to see this type of stuff is available... kind of totally irrelevant for me now, but one day. I'm a firm believer that supplementation and natural medicine is great for ALREADY healthy people. They won't make you better if you're sick, but they can augment your health when you're already healthy and act as a defensive factor. So I definitely like having the option to speak to semi-healthy patients about certain things to buy if I feel knowledgeable about it. I use supplements everyday and am a bodybuilder.. I started using them in Freshman year of high school and lost 70 pounds from Freshman -> Sophomore year... and have not ever been sick since - with the exception of really bad seasonal allergies lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you! Glad to see this type of stuff is available... kind of totally irrelevant for me now, but one day. I'm a firm believer that supplementation and natural medicine is great for ALREADY healthy people. They won't make you better if you're sick, but they can augment your health when you're already healthy and act as a defensive factor. So I definitely like having the option to speak to semi-healthy patients about certain things to buy if I feel knowledgeable about it. I use supplements everyday and am a bodybuilder.. I started using them in Freshman year of high school and lost 70 pounds from Freshman -> Sophomore year... and have not ever been sick since - with the exception of really bad seasonal allergies lol

1) All CBD oil is based on marketing gimmicks that willfully toe the ethical and FDA line for health claims. There is very little human data (except for GW pharmaceuticals) and the rest of the research that proponents will claim is very low quality. The research that is out there for human data like anxiety, schizophrenia, etc examined very high doses (300mg-1000mg) in a single dose which, at this time, will be completely unaffordable (see #2)

2) That $hit is expensive. Low daily dosing (<10mg/day) will run $50-60/month easily. Many healthy patients won't want to pay that for unknown health benefits. There will be the hippy/eccentric/holistic patients that claim its amazing and better than pharmaceuticals for their non/sub clinical condition, but the majority of "healthy people" won't like the cost vs subjective benefit ratio.

3) If a patient wants to try it, then I wouldn't stop them or go on a rant, but I wouldn't be recommending it either. FDA has already issued warning to numerous manufacturers since they contained THC and there have been many investigations that show gross discrepancies on advertised amount of active compounds vs actual, which is a notorious problem for anything in the supplemental sector.
 
1) All CBD oil is based on marketing gimmicks that willfully toe the ethical and FDA line for health claims. There is very little human data (except for GW pharmaceuticals) and the rest of the research that proponents will claim is very low quality. The research that is out there for human data like anxiety, schizophrenia, etc examined very high doses (300mg-1000mg) in a single dose which, at this time, will be completely unaffordable (see #2)

2) That $hit is expensive. Low daily dosing (<10mg/day) will run $50-60/month easily. Many healthy patients won't want to pay that for unknown health benefits. There will be the hippy/eccentric/holistic patients that claim its amazing and better than pharmaceuticals for their non/sub clinical condition, but the majority of "healthy people" won't like the cost vs subjective benefit ratio.

3) If a patient wants to try it, then I wouldn't stop them or go on a rant, but I wouldn't be recommending it either. FDA has already issued warning to numerous manufacturers since they contained THC and there have been many investigations that show gross discrepancies on advertised amount of active compounds vs actual, which is a notorious problem for anything in the supplemental sector.

My last comment was in regards to ALL supplements - whether it be something as simple as a multivitamin or Biotin, or Fish oil etc. not in regards to CBD oil
 
Status
Not open for further replies.