CBT is killing me in Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bdubz12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've took the Princeton Review course with a pretty good instructor and have scored well doing passages in class in our book, usually getting maybe 1 or 2 at the most wrong for each passage. However, doing passages on the computer is a whole different story.

I find it a lot harder to read and comprehend the passages on a computer screen as opposed to looking down on a booklet. I just can't make the transition. I have the strategies down and everything but what I'm reading just isn't going thru to my head. Any suggestions??

Members don't see this ad.

Try printing out one of the tests just to make sure that it's the computer that's messing with you and not the differences between TPR VR and the CBT's. If it is the computer part then I would have to recommend reading all of your news online until the test and maybe try reading an e-book on your monitor to get acquainted with reading on the computer.

I heard that the passages in the class actually are a bit easier--that'd be the only thing. The TPR CBT's just have very difficult verbal, IMHO. So, IMHO, most likely, its not really the CBT.

If you're really getting 1 or 2 wrong most of the time (let's call that an average of 1.33 wrong per passage), then you should expect to be scoring 8s.

1.33 questions wrong/passage * 7 passages = 9.3 answers wrong

30.7/40 = 76.5%

76.5% can be an 8. Is this how you've been doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that the passages in the class actually are a bit easier--that'd be the only thing. The TPR CBT's just have very difficult verbal, IMHO. So, IMHO, most likely, its not really the CBT.

Here I was thinking he was talking about the transition between the TPR written test and the AAMC CBT.

If you're really getting 1 or 2 wrong most of the time (let's call that an average of 1.33 wrong per passage), then you should expect to be scoring 8s.

1.33 questions wrong/passage * 7 passages = 9.3 answers wrong

30.7/40 = 76.5%

76.5% can be an 8. Is this how you've been doing?

Actually, that would be a solid 10. Missing 1.333 questions per passage gives you a good score. An 8 is around 24-26/40 according to most AAMC scales.

Here I was thinking he was talking about the transition between the TPR written test and the AAMC CBT.

I was. I was doing not bad in the TPR in class compendiums but on the AAMC and TPR CBT verbal, I'm doing pretty bad. Its just the transition from paper and pencil to computer that I'm having trouble with. Its like a whole different test for me.

I was. I was doing not bad in the TPR in class compendiums but on the AAMC and TPR CBT verbal, I'm doing pretty bad. Its just the transition from paper and pencil to computer that I'm having trouble with. Its like a whole different test for me.
In that case, do what he said :D

Actually, that would be a solid 10. Missing 1.333 questions per passage gives you a good score. An 8 is around 24-26/40 according to most AAMC scales.

yea, a 10 is 70% correct on the verbal. sometimes it's a little above 70% (ie 30-31/40)

also, i've struggled with the transition from working on paper to cbt for verbal. everything else i was fine. all i gotta say is practice. are you taking the princeton review course? if so, you have access to ALOT of verbal passages and even individual practice passages. if you don't know what i'm talking about, PM me. i'll explain in more detail. anyway, i'm getting used to doing it on CBT now...the thing i struggled with is the way i read on paper. i used to circle key words and whatnot, but trying to highlight on the computer is weird and strange. so i had to adjust and change the way i read...let me know if u wanna talk more.