CBT MCAT Test Day Procedures...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fisko82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I'm freaking out here about my upcoming mcat test date and had a couple of questions to ask people who've already taken the cbt form of the mcat (since I know no one that has and was unable to find any answers to this on aamc/search function).

1) Are you allowed to flip through the passages in any order you like such as with the e-mcat exams? And can you click "review" on the bottom screen to bring up your answer sheet at any point?

For example, I like flipping through the screen and doing the discrete questions first, then when I get to question 52, instead of flipping back 6 pages I just click forward or review to bring up all 52 questions and then select on question 1 to save time. Can I still do this on the cbt form of the mcat? Or if I click next on passage 7 of say the physical science section, will it complete my test for me unwarranted?

2) If I get to the test site say an hour early, do they allow you to start early?

3) What do you need to bring to get in? I have my paper receipt for my registration date and it said to bring that paper, but I never received an email confirmation. Also, I knew for the paper version you needed a photo i.d. to give to them, do I still need to bring a photo as well as my license or will just my license work?

4) What can you bring in, if anything? I had heard you cannot bring ANYTHING in. Does that include my wallet? watch? pencil? earplugs? (I use these in combo with headphones = no noise whatsoever).

5) Do you need to bring your own lock for the provided locker to store a snack/wallet?

6) Once you're registered and seated and the test has begun, you're not allowed to leave the test site or risk having it voided, correct? No like going out to your car to grab your lunch or anything?

7) For the places that don't give you a laminated sheet with a marker and instead give you scrap paper to work with, how many sheets are you given? I tend to write kinda big and fast when I'm working out problems and can go through 4 or 5 sheets alone in the ps or bio section...poor trees :laugh:

Sorry for the amount of questions and if they sound paranoid, I'm just getting nervous :oops: Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, so I'm freaking out here about my upcoming mcat test date and had a couple of questions to ask people who've already taken the cbt form of the mcat (since I know no one that has and was unable to find any answers to this on aamc/search function).

1) Are you allowed to flip through the passages in any order you like such as with the e-mcat exams? And can you click "review" on the bottom screen to bring up your answer sheet at any point?

Yes, you can flip between passages and there is a REVIEW button that allows you to view all the questions, telling you what is incomplete, marked, and complete.

For example, I like flipping through the screen and doing the discrete questions first, then when I get to question 52, instead of flipping back 6 pages I just click forward or review to bring up all 52 questions and then select on question 1 to save time. Can I still do this on the cbt form of the mcat? Or if I click next on passage 7 of say the physical science section, will it complete my test for me unwarranted?

It does not complete your test for you unwarranted. You must click END to end the section.

2) If I get to the test site say an hour early, do they allow you to start early?

Depends on the staff, how early they get there, and if they are prepared.

3) What do you need to bring to get in? I have my paper receipt for my registration date and it said to bring that paper, but I never received an email confirmation. Also, I knew for the paper version you needed a photo i.d. to give to them, do I still need to bring a photo as well as my license or will just my license work?

You need a driver's license, a passport, etc. Just one of those. You do not need to bring in your paper receipt, but I guess it might help if there is a problem and for some reason you are not listed on their computers

4) What can you bring in, if anything? I had heard you cannot bring ANYTHING in. Does that include my wallet? watch? pencil? earplugs? (I use these in combo with headphones = no noise whatsoever).

You cannot bring in anything except your photo ID. All wallets, phones, watches, etc must be put in the locker. I don't think they search you (they didn't with me), but it's better to be on the safe side. You also cannot take your sweatshirt/hoodie off during the test if you choose to wear it inside. You can only take it off or put it on outside the testing room.

5) Do you need to bring your own lock for the provided locker to store a snack/wallet?

They provide locks.

6) Once you're registered and seated and the test has begun, you're not allowed to leave the test site or risk having it voided, correct? No like going out to your car to grab your lunch or anything?

You can leave the testing room itself to go to your locker and graba snack, etc. There really isn't time for lunch. I guess you could leave to go to your car, they would never know, but then you are really putting yourself in a time crunch. My test site did not allow us to study during breaks

7) For the places that don't give you a laminated sheet with a marker and instead give you scrap paper to work with, how many sheets are you given? I tend to write kinda big and fast when I'm working out problems and can go through 4 or 5 sheets alone in the ps or bio section...poor trees :laugh:

I think there were around 6 full pages.

Sorry for the amount of questions and if they sound paranoid, I'm just getting nervous :oops: Any help would be appreciated.

GOOD LUCK