Cc gpa boost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTman7777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
k

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does no one have any thoughts or suggestions on this??

Does no one have any thoughts or suggestions on this??

Whoa there, this is a much slower forum than the pre-allo.

I'll give you my opinion you can take it or leave it. You need to come up with a great "reason" to be a doctor having only decided 4 months ago, you will get asked. You need to focus on doing well in your science courses. Of course you can take some "fluff" classes but you better get A's in them. Also, you need to raise your gpa significantly.

Are you on a degree plan? Do you have an undergrad degree? Taking random courses may not be the best route to med school. Have you taken the MCAT, studied for it at all? You need to get a major amount of clinical experience as well as volunteer work. You need to get in and get close to patients, get your hands dirty, get to smell them. Adcoms will want to see that you have seen the nasty day to day of being a physician. You want to do it also to see if you really want to be a physician as well as what specialty interests you.

You have a lot of work ahead of you, dont make too many assumptions about how you will fare in the science courses, take them as they come and do you best, your going to need to really show that your sub=par gap and all is in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry did not realize it was a slower thread...=)

Here is all my info. Please let me know what you think about taking those classes to boost my GPA at the CC and then taking fluff classes at a 4 year university as well. I am curious about these fluff classes because does it matter if they are medically relevant?

No problem.

Ok, again this is just my own personal opinion. I dont think it really matters where you take your pre-reqs (others will certainly disagree) as long as you take them and do well in them. I dont really see the point in the fluff classes but you do want to improve your gpa so take some things that interest you, that you will enjoy and that could be relevant to medicine. Examples could be med term, genetics, micro, cell bio, biochem, A&P, Physiology, look into allied health courses if you like. However, are you in a post bac program? If so, your choices are probably limited. You might want to talk to your advisor about it all as well.

My point about getting A's is that things look much easier and nicely planned from the outside. You get into the course and life happens and its not always as easy as you think now. That applies to both getting A's in all your courses and making what you expect on the MCAT. Your age is nothing, your young still :)

Some of it will depend on what CC and what 4-year you are attending. Why are you wanting to split between CC and 4-year anyway? Why not take them all at your 4-year? Bio and Gen Chem shouldn't be much different from one to the other and O Chem is usually hard regardless. If you want "fluff" classes retake some of your undergrad for better grades. Retake your physics and get A's in them, thats much better in my opinion than having an A in med term along with the C's in physics.

Again, just my opinions. Good luck! Oh, your EC's look fine, just keep them up. EMT-B will show that you are "Getting your hands dirty" a little bit, so thats good. Also might help you decide if medicine is for you. You sound like you have a good plan...you know what they say about the best laid plans and all.

No problem.

Ok, again this is just my own personal opinion. I dont think it really matters where you take your pre-reqs (others will certainly disagree) as long as you take them and do well in them. I dont really see the point in the fluff classes but you do want to improve your gpa so take some things that interest you, that you will enjoy and that could be relevant to medicine. Examples could be med term, genetics, micro, cell bio, biochem, A&P, Physiology, look into allied health courses if you like. However, are you in a post bac program? If so, your choices are probably limited. You might want to talk to your advisor about it all as well.

My point about getting A's is that things look much easier and nicely planned from the outside. You get into the course and life happens and its not always as easy as you think now. That applies to both getting A's in all your courses and making what you expect on the MCAT. Your age is nothing, your young still :)

Some of it will depend on what CC and what 4-year you are attending. Why are you wanting to split between CC and 4-year anyway? Why not take them all at your 4-year? Bio and Gen Chem shouldn't be much different from one to the other and O Chem is usually hard regardless. If you want "fluff" classes retake some of your undergrad for better grades. Retake your physics and get A's in them, thats much better in my opinion than having an A in med term along with the C's in physics.

Again, just my opinions. Good luck! Oh, your EC's look fine, just keep them up. EMT-B will show that you are "Getting your hands dirty" a little bit, so thats good. Also might help you decide if medicine is for you. You sound like you have a good plan...you know what they say about the best laid plans and all.
Thanks for the info I will keep this all in mind. Thanks =)